Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Ok seriously, is no one else noticing the axle disconnect housing??

Those rear brakes are UUGE compared to the JK's. At 349mm that puts them larger than the "big rotor" upgrades for the JK, though just barely.

I don't suppose we could get some housing measurements on the tube OD and wall thickness could we?? :)

edit: Based on those CAD files, the JL/JT rear axle is a couple of inches wider than the JK's; 67.9" vs 65.375".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
That's some awesome info, thank you! Do you have the JT wheelbase measurement?

Do we know for sure these axles will be shared between JT and JL? Should be a huge improvement in braking :rock:

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Based off the frame measurement from 2000wj287 I'm guessing the JT's wheelbase at 136-139". (for comparison, the AEV Brute DC is 139"). The rear axle is pulled forward a bit compared to the Brute DC, but the front end on the JL/JT is longer than the JK's which could translate into the front axle being pushed forward a bit too relative to the cab vs the JK, so it could end up with the same wheelbase as the Brute DC.

The spring perches on the axles are pretty much centered on the tubes, so we can get a good estimate of the wheelbase by measuring the distance between the front and rear spring perches on the frame. I was hoping that JKU frame measurement was going to be closer to 116" though, to prove that theory, but it's at least within 2" of it, so pretty close.

Axles are the 'same' between JL and JT based on all the spy photos and videos, just not sure about the brakes.

The JT front axle housing shows CV joint axle shafts, but someone in another thread on the JL said those shafts were unique to the Selec-Trac fulltime 4WD system so their inclusion in the CAD of the JT front axle is curious... not sure what exactly it means.

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
The large rear brakes indicate that this truck as actually being designed with towing in mind in order to compete in the midsize truck class. I would expect the front rotors to be even larger.

thebeast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon
Based off the frame measurement from 2000wj287 I'm guessing the JT's wheelbase at 136-139". (for comparison, the AEV Brute DC is 139"). The rear axle is pulled forward a bit compared to the Brute DC, but the front end on the JL/JT is longer than the JK's which could translate into the front axle being pushed forward a bit too relative to the cab vs the JK, so it could end up with the same wheelbase as the Brute DC.
I think that's been the rumor all along that it will basically be like the Brute double cab conversion. If the wheelbase of the JLU is increased as they say it is to account for the hood I think your calculation and guesses on front/rear axle positioning is probably spot on. Interesting to read about how AEV lengthened the frame extensions/gussets while adding strength.

AEV Brute DC.png

Axles are the 'same' between JL and JT based on all the spy photos and videos, just not sure about the brakes.

The JT front axle housing shows CV joint axle shafts, but someone in another thread on the JL said those shafts were unique to the Selec-Trac fulltime 4WD system so their inclusion in the CAD of the JT front axle is curious... not sure what exactly it means.
I saw that post on JLWF too that the front axle on the AWD variants will have CV joints but the JL Rubicon will still have U-joints. Hmm could the JT actually follow suit?

Sponsored

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
I saw that post on JLWF too that the front axle on the AWD variants will have CV joints but the JL Rubicon will still have U-joints. Hmm could the JT actually follow suit?
CV joint on the JT front axle.

3985.jpeg

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
Hey guys, new to posting on this site, but have been following along for a long time, I saw the whole "Skillet 2D" conversation, and thought i would add my 2 cents. When I was in product development with some start ups, we always had code names for our projects. So I was thinking just from 1st thought, 2D is probably for 2 definitional line drawing, simple because that's what it is, and "skillet" is code for the Gladiator or the JT model. If you want to scramble something, you put it in a skillet... that's the first thing that jumped out at me, could be wrong, just what I was thinking.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: