Sponsored

JT testing on the RUBICON

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Brilliant haha. That is what I committed to memory was roughly a year ago and the swirl camo JL's were around early September.
Cant we check on the JL forums LOL?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
swirl camo! swirl camo! swirl camo!

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Great work compiling all that. I was planning to do some checking tonight but you beat me to it. Here's to hoping the JT follows a similar timeline and we start seeing more leaks and spy shots in the next month or so.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Agree the aftermarket is going to have a field day with the hind-end and bed of the JT.

Dunno about the mules being just like the CAD. To me the mules show higher rear quarters than the CAD images:

full.png

full.png

Somethings up. Maybe updated bed design if not cut?

And from my earlier post, here's a good example on a '80s Toyota 4Runner about removable plastic section under the quarter panel that connects to the rear bumper. The 4Runner off-road crowd was removing this black plastic piece years ago to gain more clearance...

full.png

full.png

Last edited:

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion. They put some rigid pieces under the tarp camo to keep it off the body of the bed so it makes it look like its higher than it really is. If you trace it back to where its secured at the bottom it's right in line with where the CAD images show us the body line will be.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion. They put some rigid pieces under the tarp camo to keep it off the body of the bed so it makes it look like its higher than it really is. If you trace it back to where its secured at the bottom it's right in line with where the CAD images show us the body line will be.
Perhaps, but does seem very strange to not have the mufflers covered from the side. Just looks like something is missing....

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Perhaps, but does seem very strange to not have the mufflers covered from the side. Just looks like something is missing....
It’s just still in development. FCA is likely waiting for a vendor to deliver. (AEV?)

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
It’s just still in development. FCA is likely waiting for a vendor to deliver. (AEV?)
I've spoken to both Matt and Dave from AEV and they both said they have no knowledge or involvement with the development. Could be the NDA talking but I've asked them both in person and that's what I got. It's either that or they aren't putting them on to reveal anything before it's time.

That 1500 bumper is getting a workout for sure but I would stay away from following that bumper and the bedside. Still very much a preproduction mule but they definitely have something on the bedside to keep the cover off the bed. You can see in the picture attached the bedside matching the CAD image. I circled the portion of the bedside that appears to be painted black. Who knows, maybe that's before the trail damage occurred and the photo being referred to is post trail damage and the bedside is mangled. Speculation is fun ha.

20180816_212241.jpg

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I'm at a complete loss as to why FCA didn't just pay a per unit design royalty to AEV and on the JK simply copy the frame design and source the bed and other bits from AEV.

Would have been MUCH cheaper way to have brought the Gladiator to market several years ago...

I'm eager to see AEV's upgrades for the JT. (See profile pic!)

Last edited by a moderator:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
So, it's nice to see something new happening, but I'm completely withholding thoughts until they actually unveil it. The fact that we're still seeing a JK interior makes me think these are all frankentrucks anyway.

What DOES interest me in this thread is... how well were these trucks doing? Did they actually DO the Rubicon? The full trail? Or were they just in the area? (I'm unfamiliar with the Trail, so don't know what I'm seeing.) They appeared to be driving home... so that seems good. It seems that, regardless of that excessive overhang in the back, they're still earning the Trail Rated pedigree.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
So, it's nice to see something new happening, but I'm completely withholding thoughts until they actually unveil it. The fact that we're still seeing a JK interior makes me think these are all frankentrucks anyway.

What DOES interest me in this thread is... how well were these trucks doing? Did they actually DO the Rubicon? The full trail? Or were they just in the area? (I'm unfamiliar with the Trail, so don't know what I'm seeing.) They appeared to be driving home... so that seems good. It seems that, regardless of that excessive overhang in the back, they're still earning the Trail Rated pedigree.
I believe they ran the Rubicon for real, with the JT running gear (chassis, drive train, suspension). They would have then earned their trail rating, plus at this design phase the designers have one last chance to address all squacks before production.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Totally forgot about this early JT concept rendering. Rear 1/4 view confirms that quarter panel stops that high in rear. Looks very similar to the wrap-around rear bumper plastic section on the rear quarter of a mid-'80s Toyota 4Runner that I posted above...

full.jpg

Also here's a good rear angle on the AEV Brute. This is the amount of departure hangover to expect guys:

full.jpg
Sponsored