Sponsored

JT vs 4Runner

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I know, not apples-to-apples. I enjoyed the Tacoma thread and hearing from folks who drove them and say there is no comparison with the JT. I see a lot of 4Runners on the trails (far outnumbered by JKs) and am curious how does the JT compare.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I see more Tacos than 4Runners on the trails out here in CA, but there are plenty of Toyotas in general. They are a very capable platform.

sail2xxs

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon M/T
Occupation
Govt
We love our 4Runner and with seating for 7, it's perfect for our family. Reliable, good on fuel, and good off road. No complaints at all. The Sequoia is even better from a space perspective, and has been awesome off-road as well. The JT is a somewhat different animal, and we are having a blast with it also.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
We love our 4Runner and with seating for 7, it's perfect for our family. Reliable, good on fuel, and good off road. No complaints at all. The Sequoia is even better from a space perspective, and has been awesome off-road as well. The JT is a somewhat different animal, and we are having a blast with it also.
We can tell you're lying, because you allege that the fuel mileage is good in the 4runner. 4runners have never had good gas mileage.;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I know that to run 33s my friend's 2011 4Runner needed a lift and some cutting. For 35s it needed more modifications like to the body mounts.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
4Runner is an awesome vehicle, one of the last Toyotas still made in Japan, I considered one instead of the JT but really needed a bed, the Tundra is too big for me, I traded in my 2010 on the JT and the Tacoma is too small in the back seat for passengers. I agree on the mileage, the 4L with the 5 speed is not good, so far my JT is getting 21mpg in mixed driving, I have had 8 new Toyota trucks and 2 new JKs over the years, all have been very well made and reliable but a made in Japan Toyota is another level.

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
I have owned both. Wrangler, Gladiator and 4runner. I'd have to say Toyota doesn't even have the personality or ability to do half of what the Wrangler/Gladiator line does. Can a Toyota go topless or doorless strait from the factory? Yes they are good vehicles and off road well but it's a different animal. Also Jeep is a lot more fresh w/ the technology built into them.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
4Runner vs JK/JL/JT seems like an apples/oranges thing to me.

MoparMan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Existence
We can tell you're lying, because you allege that the fuel mileage is good in the 4runner. 4runners have never had good gas mileage.;)
Agreed, dumped my 4Runner for my JT, ain’t never looking back. 4Runner is super dated, sluggish, poor gas mileage, it’s an old school lumbering brick. It was damn reliable though, that is what it has going for it.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Sold my 2015 4Runner for my JTR. I do not miss it at all and I thought I would. I get better gpm in the Gladiator and it is just so much more fun. The 4Runner is going to take a real hit with the new Bronco coming out.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I’ll sell my 2016 4runner SRS 4x4 Premium if someone wants to give me my payoff...
I listed my 2015 4Runner on Craigslist and it sold in 5 minutes. I should have listed it for more. But I got more than I was expecting to get. This was three weeks ago. Right after I listed it, my phone was blowing up. After I made a deal, other people were offering me more.

It should be an easy sale for you.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I almost bought a 4 runner before I bought my JT. Was having problems finding something not full size my kid fit in the back seat of behind me. It was honestly much nicer inside, but didnt fit exactly what I wanted since I use the bed often & would have to keep my trailer at easier access.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I almost bought a 4 runner before I bought my JT. Was having problems finding something not full size my kid fit in the back seat of behind me. It was honestly much nicer inside, but didnt fit exactly what I wanted since I use the bed often & would have to keep my trailer at easier access.
Truck is what drew me away from the 4Runner too... I was just standing there looking at it because I absolutely love the thing (and if it had the Tacoma 6AT instead of the ancient 5AT I'd probably have bought it) but my wife just said you know you want the truck and she was right... it's just too damn useful having a bed to keep cargo separate from the cab.
Sponsored