Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the horsepower and torque on the diesel JT? Anyone know the towing rating either? Isn’t it a bad thing we are getting lower gears with the diesel vs penstar on a JTR, or dose it matter? I’d want to to do a 2 inch lift, and 37 inch tires.
It's posted around here somewhere, I've read it a few times. The torque is much higher with the diesel, but the towing capacity is reduced due to issues with engine cooling. There's also an interview with a Jeep engineer that covers the diesel, towing capacity, and the cooling problem.
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I have read some additional information that the cooling issue has since been addressed on the diesel and the towing numbers will not go down for standard tow package.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I have read some additional information that the cooling issue has since been addressed on the diesel and the towing numbers will not go down for standard tow package.
Which is what I've been saying all along. There is no cooling issue. Marketing was simply concerned that a diesel Gladiator with great towing numbers would eat into Ram sales. Custom shops have installed Hellcat engines into Gladiators for crying out loud. No cooling issues.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Which is what I've been saying all along. There is no cooling issue. Marketing was simply concerned that a diesel Gladiator with great towing numbers would eat into Ram sales. Custom shops have installed Hellcat and LS engines into Gladiators for crying out loud. No cooling issues.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
These aren't things I mind, just things I've noted that other members may care about. I know people talk in here about gearing up when moving to 37+ so just letting them know where it stands from factory. Also, I've seen questions with people wondering as to the tank size, hence why put it up there as well for others to see quickly.

The only thing that bothers me was the lack of color choices. I think someone said the DEF was like $50 every 3k mi or something? The mileage should in theory make up for the missing 3 gallons, I think Jeep said they were aiming for a 500mi range with the diesels. My JT is already registering around 425+ and climbing. I'm interested in the diesel and may drive 1 when they are common on the lots. I leased my truck for a reason ;)
DEF is not $50 every 3,000 miles. I had a 2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel (same motor). DEF at Walmart is $15 for 5 gallons, $30 roughly to fill up your DEF tank and it will last a 9,000 mile oil change interval

Sponsored

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
A 2.5 gallon jug of DEF is 12 bucks at Sam's Club. I use about a gallon per 1k in my 6.7 Cummins. When I first got the truck I was a bit apprehensive, now I just buy a jug when my DEF tank is about half on the gauge and it puts the needle back to full.

DEF is really easy and no big deal at all.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
DEF is not $50 every 3,000 miles. I had a 2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel (same motor). DEF at Walmart is $15 for 5 gallons, $30 roughly to fill up your DEF tank and it will last a 9,000 mile oil change interval
Thanks, couldn't remember the numbers. Either way my point stands, still pretty cheap.

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Thanks, couldn't remember the numbers. Either way my point stands, still pretty cheap.
I watched a review from a Mechanic on the Wrangler Diesel to try to get more info for the JT. The mechanic said don’t use the cheap DEF, as that clogs the system over time and can be very expensive to fix.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I watched a review from a Mechanic on the Wrangler Diesel to try to get more info for the JT. The mechanic said don’t use the cheap DEF, as that clogs the system over time and can be very expensive to fix.
DEF is water and urea. There’s no “cheap” stuff. It’s practically a 50/50 mix. I had 140,000 miles on my RAM 1500 ecodiesel and never used anything bet the Walmart brand.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
a Dealer south of Houston said you can now order the Diesel Gladiator . this came from the owner
Traded my ecodiesel in on my Gladiator...go to the ecodiesel forum before you order! I had nothing but trouble with mine and it was either poor engineering or build quality. Wait until you are in “limp mode” in heavy traffic on an interstate highway doing 15 in a 75!

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Traded my ecodiesel in on my Gladiator...go to the ecodiesel forum before you order! I had nothing but trouble with mine and it was either poor engineering or build quality. Wait until you are in “limp mode” in heavy traffic on an interstate highway doing 15 in a 75!
What year eco did you have? Different motor for 2020

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
It's possible that the colors aren't performing how they want them to. I know they held off on a few colors initially because they weren't adhering as well or protecting correctly. I hate it as well, it's why I highlighted it on my first post in this thread. Arguably (to me) the 3 best colors are now gone, orange, green, and tan. Now we are stuck with the bleh colors, and I don't like the blue, not on a Jeep (to those that do and have 1, no offense, just not y thing).

In case anyone has ever looked, I don't think Mopar has ever released a Gator color pen yet...
Gator is gone completely, DIscontinued, at least for Gas Orders. The touch up paint is available at dealers. When I heard Gator was gone, I started contacting local dealers for touch up paint and found qty 8 at one.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Gator is gone completely, DIscontinued, at least for Gas Orders. The touch up paint is available at dealers. When I heard Gator was gone, I started contacting local dealers for touch up paint and found qty 8 at one.
Gone? Why? That sucks! And thanks for the tip on the touch up paint, I couldn't find any online, I call a few dealers around me. My last pen dried up on me because I never used it... With any luck I'll never have to use this 1 either.
Sponsored