First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I've noticed recently diesel is priced just below regular gasoline. That makes the diesel a little more appealing, but no telling how long that will last. Last year I thought hard about waiting for a diesel, but when I considered the extra cost, the lower tow rating and the additional cost of diesel, I thought, "Meh...".

I recommend people not buy the diesel to save on fuel. It’s for torque lovers especially if they want 37” + tires
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I recommend people not buy the diesel to save on fuel. It’s for torque lovers especially if they want 37” + tires
I have always wondered about that so here is my attempt at looking at fuel savings

Gas - 100k miles at 20mpg is 5000 gallons of fuel. So $10k in fuel cost at $2/gal
Diesel - 100k miles at 25mpg is 4000 gallons of fuel. So $10k in fuel costs

1000 gallons over 100k miles difference. Diesel is about 50c per gal more expensive around me, so that is $500 in fuel savings? Doesnt seem right. But it is.

Looking at various calculators, you dont save the cost of the diesel upgrade even if the diesel got 30mpg and gas got 20mpg

Driving 10k miles a year, if gas and diesel were the same price (which I have never seen gas be more expensive than diesel), after 7years you only save about $2300. That number realistically becomes closer to $1150 if the difference in price is 50c per gallon, but again IF the diesel gets 10mpg more

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Plus DEF. Not sure how much that costs.

I bought a diesel truck in 2003 for the first time. Then, diesel was less than regular gas. Within the first year of ownership the price of diesel went to where it is now in relation to gas. I thought I was a genious when I bought it with all the money I was going to save.

Still. If the diesel was available in October I would have considered it.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You are correct, that was my mistake. I just went to look at it an sure enough, only model without it I believe. At least as far as I was able to see.
Looks like Mojave and High Altitude are both missing order codes for the Diesel option. Hmmm

OP
OP
Texops

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
the thing about having the Diesel not really for a type of savings because maintenance is expensive on a Diesel, you should have a better range than gas if you tow even if the tow capacity is a little lower than Gas Max tow. it's gonna handle towing way better. and i don't think they will have a Max tow package for the Diesel because your probably not gonna get 4.11 gears in any configuration . so a regular tow package will be it.

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
All Fuel prices Fluctuate by market demand. Thing is diesel demand has stayed pretty steady (mostly semi’s and industrial & Ag use) however diesel price has dropped a bit (more than once) in the past when other fuels became high demand.
Basically, for every barrel of crude that gets processed they net xx gallons of gasoline, xx gallons of diesel, xx gallons of kerosene, Aviation and high octane, engine oils (non synthetic) and so on. Read an article in a trucking magazine back when I drove over the road that showed the actual % breakdown per barrel of crude. If gas demand is low they still have to process X number of barrels to meet diesel demand so the excess gasoline gets marked down to cheap to get rid of it. When there was safety issues in the aviation market years ago, most people turned to driving on their summer vacations which shot gasoline demand high leaving an excess on other fuels. Airlines were able to offer cheaper rates because fuel for them was cheap (low demand and extra supply) and diesel dropped below gasoline in cost (same demand but higher supply)
Point is, right now gasoline is slightly lower than diesel but if more car companies start switching their engine lineup to diesel for Carb/EPA fuel efficiency, and more people buy diesel for personal vehicles That divide may get even wider as diesel demand goes higher and gasoline demand drops.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
These aren't things I mind, just things I've noted that other members may care about. I know people talk in here about gearing up when moving to 37+ so just letting them know where it stands from factory. Also, I've seen questions with people wondering as to the tank size, hence why put it up there as well for others to see quickly.

The only thing that bothers me was the lack of color choices. I think someone said the DEF was like $50 every 3k mi or something? The mileage should in theory make up for the missing 3 gallons, I think Jeep said they were aiming for a 500mi range with the diesels. My JT is already registering around 425+ and climbing. I'm interested in the diesel and may drive 1 when they are common on the lots. I leased my truck for a reason ;)
DEF is actually pretty cheap, goes on sale a lot, and can be bought at Wally world. At least on my WK2 a full def tank normally lasts between oil changes (10K miles) and cost about $25 to fill it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
All Fuel prices Fluctuate by market demand. Thing is diesel demand has stayed pretty steady (mostly semi’s and industrial & Ag use) however diesel price has dropped a bit (more than once) in the past when other fuels became high demand.
Basically, for every barrel of crude that gets processed they net xx gallons of gasoline, xx gallons of diesel, xx gallons of kerosene, Aviation and high octane, engine oils (non synthetic) and so on. Read an article in a trucking magazine back when I drove over the road that showed the actual % breakdown per barrel of crude. If gas demand is low they still have to process X number of barrels to meet diesel demand so the excess gasoline gets marked down to cheap to get rid of it. When there was safety issues in the aviation market years ago, most people turned to driving on their summer vacations which shot gasoline demand high leaving an excess on other fuels. Airlines were able to offer cheaper rates because fuel for them was cheap (low demand and extra supply) and diesel dropped below gasoline in cost (same demand but higher supply)
Point is, right now gasoline is slightly lower than diesel but if more car companies start switching their engine lineup to diesel for Carb/EPA fuel efficiency, and more people buy diesel for personal vehicles That divide may get even wider as diesel demand goes higher and gasoline demand drops.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Excellent points. I don't see the diesel market expanding. The environmental challenges are just too significant. Manufacturers are clearly going electric for almost everything. I've even seen articles about electric semi trucks.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I drive on average 8-10kmi/yr so while I wouldn't see signifacnt (if any) savings per year, I would want to own it for the lifetime of the truck, even if I don't break even I think the torque factor will be worth it. I just dunno anything about diesels is the kinda scary part. I take my vehicles in for service mostly for warranty/free promo stuff but on this Jeep I will change the oil in the 3rd year and I change my own brake pads. I would love 3 years of reviews on diesel Gladiators before I make my decision when my lease it up.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
WTF is with the color choices (or lack there of)??? No Gobi, No Gator? Back to white/ red/ and all shades of grey. So pissed right now.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
WTF is with the color choices (or lack there of)??? No Gobi, No Gator? Back to white/ red/ and all shades of grey. So pissed right now.
It's possible that the colors aren't performing how they want them to. I know they held off on a few colors initially because they weren't adhering as well or protecting correctly. I hate it as well, it's why I highlighted it on my first post in this thread. Arguably (to me) the 3 best colors are now gone, orange, green, and tan. Now we are stuck with the bleh colors, and I don't like the blue, not on a Jeep (to those that do and have 1, no offense, just not y thing).

In case anyone has ever looked, I don't think Mopar has ever released a Gator color pen yet...

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

A squeaky wheel told me at the end of the month, other colors will be announced

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Here is what the new Jeep Ecco-Diesel looks like, this is on the new Wrangler, but same engine setup in the Gladiator:
Jeep Gladiator Just heard Diesel Gladiator can be ordered 2579DE6C-FA75-42E0-B2E6-63D6C11D3DE9

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
A squeaky wheel told me at the end of the month, other colors will be announced
Probably the last time I'll say this but I think the squeaky wheel just became my favorite one. Although now I have to wait another agonizing month.

Wait...announced or released?

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
What’s the horsepower and torque on the diesel JT? Anyone know the towing rating either? Isn’t it a bad thing we are getting lower gears with the diesel vs penstar on a JTR, or dose it matter? I’d want to to do a 2 inch lift, and 37 inch tires.
Sponsored