Sponsored

Knock off Rubicon metal bumper?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the stubby look of the stock Rubicon bumper. I should be ordering my Mojave today. I was wondering if anyone has installed this on a Mojave and retained the stock skid plate?

Thanks

p.s. I searched this thread and no mention of "Mojave".
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I like the stubby look of the stock Rubicon bumper. I should be ordering my Mojave today. I was wondering if anyone has installed this on a Mojave and retained the stock skid plate?

Thanks

p.s. I searched this thread and no mention of "Mojave".
There are posts in other threads about this - the stock skid plate as I recall does need some mods, but with a search, you should find where others swapped bumpers.

ChillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Jeep Wagoneer, Challenger HC RE WB
I own a 2022 rubicon gladiator with the plastic bumper and metal skid. Im going to buy the skid plate that attaches to the steel bumper and the mopar knock off bumper. My question im asking is does the skid plate bolt right up or do i need other parts or brackets to have the mopar skid plate for the steel bumper to be installed.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2022 rubicon gladiator with the plastic bumper and metal skid. Im going to buy the skid plate that attaches to the steel bumper and the mopar knock off bumper. My question im asking is does the skid plate bolt right up or do i need other parts or brackets to have the mopar skid plate for the steel bumper to be installed.
Good question. I’m not your Huckleberry to answer that.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the steel skid plate that is used with the plastic Rubicon bumper, you have the rear brackets and bolts already.
The MOPAR skid plate that is used with the steel bumper will bolt right up to the knock-off bumper.
I bought the bumper from eBay, the skid plate from a MOPAR vendor.
The skid plate attached right to the steel bumper fine. It comes with enough screws, bolts and clips to make that part happen. (or it should, looks like the package of screws and bolts may vary a tad depending on seller)
I had to buy the REAR skid plate bracket kit with bolts and nutserts because my truck is an Overland and had the plastic air dam, no skid plate. But if you already have the steel skid plate, you have those rear or lower brackets.
All you need is the skid plate.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If you're buying the skid plate for the metal bumper and already have the skid plate for the plastic one, I don't think you'll really need much else. Maybe bolts that bolt the skid to the bumper, but you may have extras in your bumper kit. The skid for the metal bumper will reuse the two brackets on the bottom of the frame from the plastic bumper skid.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you're buying the skid plate for the metal bumper and already have the skid plate for the plastic one, I don't think you'll really need much else. Maybe bolts that bolt the skid to the bumper, but you may have extras in your bumper kit. The skid for the metal bumper will reuse the two brackets on the bottom of the frame from the plastic bumper skid.
I think we were typing at the same time - I got the message you had responded as fast as I went back to my email. But you said it so much better.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I think we were typing at the same time - I got the message you had responded as fast as I went back to my email. But you said it so much better.
Haha yea I just saw your post as soon as mine went up, so I think @ChillxPoint should be all set. I just discovered this morning that I picked up the wrong skid plate because I didn't realize there was a difference between what mounts to the plastic and steel bumpers. Makes sense in retrospect, but wish I'd done a little more research before picking up the skid. Love the bumper though!

ChillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks alot guys. Just picked up the mopar skid plate from my local dealership and waiting on the ebay steel bumper to show up soon.

Sponsored

ChillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thx for all the input. The halogen fogs were able to switch over with the brackets they provided. I transferred the tow hooks, wiring harnes, halogen fogs and the screws and bolts that held in the fogs over to the new steel bumper. My only question is the winch plate. I installed it but unsure if i did it correctly. Ill share pics of the winch plate so you guys can correct me lol. The pic of the winch plate with a bracket on it, is that the bracket il supose to install on the insides on the bumper bracket?

20220512_225102.jpg

20220512_225021.jpg

20220512_225115.jpg

20220512_200845.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try, do what I can - but these are a puzzle with no instructions and worse, the picture of what the puzzle should look like when completed is missing from the front of the puzzle box LOL.
Consider it a puzzle of a clear, starry night sky.

I found that, assuming even I did it correctly, you may have to do some bracket trimming, the brackets that bolt to the sides of the plate and then to the inside faces of the frame interfere with the lower or rear skid plate brackets.
In your bottom picture, the bracket laying on the winch plate would go on the right side of the vehicle - on the left in the picture.

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20201014_095632

This pic below shows the right side of the truck. The wheel is the right front wheel. The line is where I had to trim the plate bracket to clear the skid plate bracket.

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20201015_162032_HDR

And this is the driver or left side frame rail and brackets. I did a crappy job trimming - they aren't totally even. More clearance on this side. I guess I rushed a bit.....

Ignore the green lines. I put those there for another purpose. The top bolt with a green line pointing to it is the bolt holding the plate bracket to the frame, the red is where I trimmed the winch plate bracket to clear the left side skid plate bracket.

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20201015_162050_HDR

Left/driver side again.
I will tell you, those bolts that hold the brackets to the skid plate do rust - you might find some better bolts or bolts with a better finish. It took a couple of years but the bracket bolts shown on mine are now rusty. So when I move things to my new Gladiator, I'll either replate these bolts when I do the next batch for a customer, or just buy new bolts.

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20201014_095646_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20201013_170947_HDR

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So after reading this, I guess the answer is obvious but want to confirm:

If you have the plastic front bumper with skid plate (like standard on JTR), that existing skid plate is not compatible with the replacement steel front bumper? (Mopar or eBay knock-off.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So after reading this, I guess the answer is obvious but want to confirm:

If you have the plastic front bumper with skid plate (like standard on JTR), that existing skid plate is not compatible with the replacement steel front bumper? (Mopar or eBay knock-off.)
I bought the MOPAR skid plate for the steel bumper. I wanted a front receiver and it just made it easier to trim the skid plate to fit around the receiver.

I have read, or recall reading, that some have trimmed the bumper, then later I read where someone did some slotting of brackets to tilt the skid plate a bit to clear the bumper so they didn't end up having to trim the bumper.

If someone has pics, I'd love to see that solution. Might help a lot of people here.

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20210516_163211_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Knock off Rubicon metal bumper? 20210516_163221_HDR

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't plan to use the winch plate that came with my bumper. I looked at it and it just doesn't look strong enough. I ordered the warn plate and looking at directions I think it will work nicely.
Sponsored