First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Afraid my Mojave is starting to show signs of this same leakage on the passenger side rear axle. So far just seepage & not dripping yet. Build date was 2/21/21.

Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the vent hose at the axle fitting. Like you I discovered there is excessive resistance to both blowing & drawing air through the hose, though it can be done. Just way, way more effort than you would expect for a case vent of this type on an axle or transmission.

Next removed the plastic vent cap assembly (pictured below) at the top end of the hose attached to the truck bed framing, and it is the source of the restriction.

P1011726.JPG

Popped the cover off of the end of it, and found that there is some sort of paper type membrane completely covering the end of the vent housing. This doesn't seem right to me at all.

Are there any Chrysler/Jeep techs on this forum that would know if this is normally the way these are constructed & if so why?
It seems that this could cause excessive pressure buildup in the axle housing as the gear oil warms up, and very possibly be a contributing factor to this rash of axle seals leaking.

P1011736.JPG

Just for comparison, I looked at the vent hose & cap for the front axle on the driver side spring tower (shown below). This one is the style that I am familiar with seeing used on vehicles, being just a plastic fitting with a loose fitting cap that allows unrestricted air flow.

I again removed the hose at the front axle fitting to test this one, and it has no resistance at all to both blowing or drawing air through the hose & vent cap.

P1011725.JPG

Interested to hear what you guys think.

If "Jeep Cares" sees this post, maybe they can pass it on to whoever at Jeep might have an answer.
Nice to know the front axle does not have the vent restriction. I found those vents on line and will probably get one for the rear axle. For now I stuck one of these fuel filters on the end of the rear axle vent hose. It was a decent friction fit in the hose and should not go anywhere and keep the goobers out.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? Fuel Filter
Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
That sure is weird...and it sounds like it is not some sort of breathable filter fabric material just to prevent a splash and/or dirt and debris from going back down the tube. I never traced the vent tube to the end on a newer vehicle but on all of the older jeeps and vehicles when I was growing up we would just route them up high as possible and stick a cheap fuel filter or similar filter on the end. My only other thought is that perhaps that little plug was outsourced to the lowest bidder and they used the wrong material for that white membrane.
With Jeep's obsession with the whole water fording thing, I also thought it might have been intended to be some sort of filter material to keep water out. But it also doesn't allow any air to pass through or vent, so find that idea very hard to believe.

On a side note, my spirit of adventure must be lacking, as I just can't imagine being crazy enough to drive my new $55K truck through a river, or any high water for that matter!šŸ˜³ But if anyone is into that type of thing... whatever blows your hair back.

2wheeltinker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Stuff for Space Place
Closing the loop on my comments about getting the warranty work... a re-gear apparently voids the entire warranty on all aspects of the axle assembly.
As anyone who has removed axle shafts knows... there is no more wear sliding the axles out and in a single time than what would have been caused on a 10 mile drive.

but... @JeepCares seemingly does not agree. Ironically, I doubt the dealer even removes the diff cover to do this job. So this was all my fault for having accidentally mentioned it. (Leaking before the re-gear. I noticed because of the re-gear)
Jeep cares ticket 406-0529 if it matters.

donā€™t mention your re-gear if you have done so and want this repair. Positive note, I was able to return my extended warranty for 95% of the refund. So hopefully someone had a negative commission check this month. Covers chromoly pre-loaded axles for me to install myself. Plus a bunch of money for possible future repairs.

mellendic

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Security Researcher
Closing the loop on my comments about getting the warranty work... a re-gear apparently voids the entire warranty on all aspects of the axle assembly.
As anyone who has removed axle shafts knows... there is no more wear sliding the axles out and in a single time than what would have been caused on a 10 mile drive.

but... @JeepCares seemingly does not agree. Ironically, I doubt the dealer even removes the diff cover to do this job. So this was all my fault for having accidentally mentioned it. (Leaking before the re-gear. I noticed because of the re-gear)

donā€™t mention your re-gear if you have done so and want this repair. Positive note, I was able to return my extended warranty for 95% of the refund. So hopefully someone had a negative commission check this month.
I had the exact same issue and got the same results. but I have a new axle and a replacement as I may need it :)

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
UPDATE...

Just dropped off my JT at the dealership. Took over a week to get the axle assembly. They said they'll probably have it at least 2 days, if not into the weekend and should be ready by Monday. They'rre seeing more and more JT's coming in for the leaking axle...

I'll update everyone once I get the truck back. Need to reschedule regear again... darn.

Sponsored

TW005

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Tint World Hutto, Owner
UPDATE...

Just dropped off my JT at the dealership. Took over a week to get the axle assembly. They said they'll probably have it at least 2 days, if not into the weekend and should be ready by Monday. They'rre seeing more and more JT's coming in for the leaking axle...

I'll update everyone once I get the truck back. Need to reschedule regear again... darn.

TW005

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Tint World Hutto, Owner
They refused to warranty my leak. I've had a bad experience w/ both the dealer and Jeep. Wish I could do it over.

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update...

Dropped by dealership this morning to check on progress. They just rolled out the crate. The crate with my new axle. I thought it would be a new assembly but it was the whole new rear axle!! Jeep doesnā€™t want it taken apart and instead wants to research and study the issue. New rear axle should be done by Tuesday or so...

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 715F8C06-DCF2-4C1D-AAFA-A6C244A1BFF4

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Update...

Dropped by dealership this morning to check on progress. They just rolled out the crate. The crate with my new axle. I thought it would be a new assembly but it was the whole new rear axle!! Jeep doesnā€™t want it taken apart and instead wants to research and study the issue. New rear axle should be done by Tuesday or so...

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 715F8C06-DCF2-4C1D-AAFA-A6C244A1BFF4
I'll be damned! I am truly surprised they are changing the whole thing. Interesting.

I suspect mine is starting to leak again. Things are getting wet again.

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I'll be damned! I am truly surprised they are changing the whole thing. Interesting.

Interesting that it is leaking again. It's been two weeks almost since my appt to confirm the issue and they have not called to schedule the follow up visit that was pending arrival of the axle shaft assembly. Wonder if maybe there is a new rear axle inbound in my case as well. Planning to call them Monday if I don't hear from them by noon.

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yep. I was shocked too! Once I get it installed, Iā€™ll be carefully monitoring the issue. Praying it never leaks again.
Sorry to hear about your axle leaking again.

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting that it is leaking again. It's been two weeks almost since my appt to confirm the issue and they have not called to schedule the follow up visit that was pending arrival of the axle shaft assembly. Wonder if maybe there is a new rear axle inbound in my case as well. Planning to call them Monday if I don't hear from them by noon.
Sorry youā€™re dealing with the issue too. Hope you get the new axle soon.
So far it appears everyone here is getting literally all new axles.

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Guys whose seal is leaking what is the year and MDH(sticker inside driver door frame M=month, D=day, H=hour ) of your truck?
If you have this issue please post what I asked above. Hoping this is one lot of bad axles, instead of all.