Sponsored

Leaking axle seal?

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I thought I was in the clear when this thread first started being they were 2021 builds but I see 2020s now. I guess I'll have to check mine out tomorrow.
It appears it’s builds it’s builds from 09/2020-02/2021. Does anyone have a build before or after?
Sponsored

Vina Ev

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Jeep driver
I thought I was in the clear when this thread first started being they were 2021 builds but I see 2020s now. I guess I'll have to check mine out tomorrow.
Mine is a 2020 with production date 09/
It appears it’s builds it’s builds from 09/2020-02/2021. Does anyone have a build before or after?
I think my was 9/19

16199310503395333998086733455821.jpg

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked mine build 2-21 JTR, no evidence of leaks but I did wash it 3 days ago, have done highway travel ect. I will continue to monitor 4632 miles.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Hopefully fca is starting to track this....this is far too common and now to be random. Seals shouldn't be failing (especially almost exclusively on right rear) on vehicles with such low miles. There has got to be a common thread here. Bad batch of gaskets on the line at dana, training issue and seals getting damaged during assembly, etc.
You would hope FCA is starting to notice. Axle seals are not rocket science and Dana should know what they're doing.

Makes you wonder how many axle seals are leaking on Jeeps where the the owners just drive them and never have reason to look under it.

Deleted member 30519

I guess I had a really early build. I looked under the JT a few hours ago and everything looked good.

IMG_20210502_134131~01.jpg

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Checked it this morning. The differential was not over filled.

I removed the vent hose from the differential housing and blew through it. It was surprisingly difficult to push air through with the valve on the end of the hose. I don't know how fast a differential will build up pressure but I wonder if this may have something to do with the leaking seals.

I think I'm going to replace the valve with something that breaths a little easier. When I did my Frontier some years back I think I just stuck a disposable fuel filter on the end of the hose.
I did the same thing to my XJ's D44 rear axle and all the other vent lines. It had that happen too. I think that your on to something with this problem, my LJ right side axle shaft seal leaks a D44 (not a dealership problem though) but probably the same reason the JT's are having it.

IMHO: I think the better location for the vent is in the pumpkin not axle tube. Especially with it getting rapid cooling after heat build up from gears then water splashing on it.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
My build 1:00 AM, Wed. 11 Nov, 2020 falls in that range, no leaks yet but keeping an eye on the rear axle seal areas for leaks.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Dropped mine off today, confirmed that it's a leaking seal. They said they show an axle assembly in the warehouse, hoping to know if they'll be able to get it tomorrow or not.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
09-20 - No leak yet, but as someone else pointed out, they just had their car washed. (I did, as well)

Will keep an eye out, and have already mentioned it to my dealership, for them to check when I bring it in for the first oil change.

Have we considered trim levels yet, possibly a specific build/trim is impacted where others may not be? (maybe even location of assembly?)

~ Casp

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Well I have been without my Gladiator for 2 weeks now.
Stopped by the dealer today and they say they have axle shafts/seal on order and have no indication of when they will ship.
This is unacceptable communication from FCA Stellantis.
Anyone from JeepCares care to chime in?
I apologize for my delay here, Gladman. I would be happy to dig into your concerns further. Please send me a private message when you have a moment.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I apologize for my delay here, Gladman. I would be happy to dig into your concerns further. Please send me a private message when you have a moment.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I need to know how to PM; sorry never sent one yet.