Sponsored

Leather vs Cloth Seats

dentedcj5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
I am clear on which options I want and don't for my JTR purchase, except Leather vs cloth seats. Leather is always easier to clean, but I have visions of having the top off in the summer and BBQing my behind. What do you have? What are you opinions? What are your experiences?
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
If you go leather, you will want heated seats if it get cold where you are. I got cloth and then got waterproof seat covers. But I couldn't get leather on the Max Tow.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Not sure if you have any pets, but the cloth really traps dog fur, it's like impossible to get out, otherwise I love the cloth. Stays cool in the summer and you don't slide around as much. FWIW you can also put in Katzkin later.

Last edited:

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For me the cleaning and wear are why I wanted and got leather seats. I had them in my Saturn Sky as well, and with the top down they never got hot enough to burn you, but they were warm. In all honesty so we’re the black cloth seats in my JKU, so it was a wash for me.

Sponsored

mjgpol99

First Name
manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
From what i seen at the dealership if you get one equipped with leather it has the fold down middle seat in the back that has cup holders in it. If you get cloth seats it does not have the fold down part of the back seat.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Man I had leather in vehicle once and being here in South Texas if it sat out in the sun with no shade even the sun just coming through in the windows would fry your butt if you sat down on them. Cloth will collect any kind of pet hair, etc if you have them so just put good seat covers on and good to go.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I am clear on which options I want and don't for my JTR purchase, except Leather vs cloth seats.
One small observation. On the Rubicon, if you get black cloth or leather, you will get a red dashboard. With brown leather, you get a silver-gray dashboard. This may or may not affect your choice.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
I’ll always get cloth because I’m not paying 2k to get my seats rained on. My 2dr jk had cloth seats with carhartt covers. I had my top and doors off for 2 years while stationed in guam; it got rained on many, many times. Took the covers off before trading in and they were perfect.

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Cloth for me. I do a lot desert driving with top and doors off. I think cloth are better in my particular situation.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I love the leather seats in my Overland, but there are two things that I didn't think about when I purchased it (in Feb). The leather gets hot as hell when I have the roof off and I'm a lot more concerned about my leather seats getting wet than I would be if I had cloth seats. I'm sure the saddle colored leather seats wouldn't have been as hot as my black seats.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My first JK had cloth, it was pretty nice at first but it did look a little beaten after a couple years. The second JK had leather, and I loved it. I applied Meguiar's Gold Class leather treatment on day 1, followed up the next day, and then they were totally waterproof (and guacamole proof, damn idiot cut out in front of me). I kept that Jeep for five years and the seats looked great. I cleaned and applied the treatment about yearly. They were never hot, and I live in AZ. But "topless" to me means having a bikini top on the Jeep, so still some shade.

I got leather on the JT, for sure.
Sponsored