LED Headlights are dangerous in snow/ice storm

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
I have to admit, I right away had a frustration, then realized being ND with a crap ton of snow - I will get out every once in a while and wipe the headlights off if I need to. Small sacrifice to pay for being able to see in a lot of other scenarios.

Also possible idea would be to tap into the windshield washer lines and mount some sprayers over the headlights.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Except for the fact most auxiliary lights are not road legal...especially if mounted higher than headlights.
Well, in the handful of times I have to deal with such level of snow I will throw my other lights and flame throwers on and I shall risk getting that ticket ;)

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Well, in the handful of times I have to deal with such level of snow I will throw my other lights and flame throwers on and I shall risk getting that ticket ;)
Yup, I very seriously doubt any cop is gonna pull someone over in a snow event because of their halogen fog lights or whatever.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I very seriously doubt any cop is gonna pull someone over in a snow event because of their halogen fog lights or whatever.
I can name two instances for myself - doing 55 in a 55 with my Eagle - "Going too fast for conditions" and the other was related to lights - I was driving back down from northern Iowa - had the Christmas lights in my AMX - the interior was decorated. It was a nasty winter evening - IHP said - nope, sorry, can't do that.
Granted, it wasn't flame throwers or off-road lights, but come on, where was there Christmas cheer - or amazement that I could go that fast through almost 3 feet of snow in a CAR.

Anyway, major-mega ice event now - in 15 minutes the headlights of my JT were covered thick with a frosty ice layer - it wasn't nice clear ice because it's mixed with sleet so it's a milky ice, really really rough and course. It really blocked the light. Parked it and said - screw it, I'm staying home.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I can name two instances for myself - doing 55 in a 55 with my Eagle - "Going too fast for conditions" and the other was related to lights - I was driving back down from northern Iowa - had the Christmas lights in my AMX - the interior was decorated. It was a nasty winter evening - IHP said - nope, sorry, can't do that.
Granted, it wasn't flame throwers or off-road lights, but come on, where was there Christmas cheer - or amazement that I could go that fast through almost 3 feet of snow in a CAR.

Anyway, major-mega ice event now - in 15 minutes the headlights of my JT were covered thick with a frosty ice layer - it wasn't nice clear ice because it's mixed with sleet so it's a milky ice, really really rough and course. It really blocked the light. Parked it and said - screw it, I'm staying home.
What a grinch cop LOL

Well, staying home is prolly not a bad thing with those conditions. Gives you more reasons to work on your restoration projects :P

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What a grinch cop LOL

Well, staying home is prolly not a bad thing with those conditions. Gives you more reasons to work on your restoration projects :P
I know, when he pulled me over I thought, awe, come on, only like 3 or 4 more days and those little lights inside that car.... oh, well. Whatever.

Yup, you got it. Just all but finished another wiper motor, tested, ready, waiting for the mounting plate to sit 24 hours to set the passivate.
Starting on a rush blower motor now.

A fellow was supposedly heading this way from Illinois to pick up and alternator and drop off a wiper motor for restoration - I warned him - come at your own risk. It's really very nasty here now - even in this building I can hear the ice pelting it, it's loud. Snow next - several inches unless it drops south a bit.

Years ago my first wife and I drove into Des Moines, the west side, to see a movie. It was about 45 minutes from where we lived out in the sticks next to a wildlife reserve.
When we came out - a blizzard had hit and it was blowing hard and snow was falling fast. I had my AMX - with louvers on the back window. We got 3/4 of the way home and the 2 lane highway was blocked by a jack-knifed semi. Snow was getting deep, no way to get around him, couldn't see the ditches or how deep things were off the road, and we'd passed the only other way back home a half mile back.
So into reverse I put it, we roll down the windows and keep the mirrors cleaned off and I BACKED that car back to the other road south and made it home.
Not averse to winter driving at all - as long as there's enough light to see and you can go by the fence posts and electric poles to judge where the road may be. But as I age - I need more, better light and back then, the intensity of those lights kept them cleared for the most part.

I'm not totally complaining about my JT lights - just adding the info to show that those who are aren't alone. I'll find a resolution, or deal with it in some way.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The norther you drive the colder and drier the snow, the fewer the issues.
It's really only bad with freezing rain and wet snow like we have. So if I move to Prudhoe Bay or Barrow, no problem.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

The amazement is probably the real reason he pulled you over... wanted to see exactly what it was you were driving!

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
You can also use this or the 50 other brands that are just teflon spray. Lasts longer than graphite wd40.
Screenshot_20200113-115741_Chrome.jpg

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Incidentally I remember the Acura integra also had this issue. The ones in the 90s with the 4 round small recessed headlights.
Sponsored