First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
Oh I'm sorry, is there another model that's most of a rubicon suspension without the transfer case and electronics?

Key term was "somewhat like"
Most of a Rubicon suspension?

Take a fully loaded Rubicon, remove the $125 a piece shocks and springs, the front locker and disco.

Now, add $3-4K Fox dual bypass shocks, hydraulic jounce bumpers, cast iron knuckles, a 1 inch lift, strengthen the frame and add an upgraded set of seats and steering wheel. Change the transfer case to one more suited for it purpose and a different hood. Then you would have my Mojave. Which for the record, had an MSRP higher than any Rubicon on the lot at the time I purchased it.

I love Rubicons for the record (I planned on buying one when I went to the dealer that day)... but let’s be honest if we are going to have this discussion. They are built slightly different, with slightly different pros and cons and slightly different purposes in mind. To call the the Mojave a Willy’s is beyond inaccurate. The Mojave is a modified Rubicon. Jeep has stated as much, it’s not confusing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Most of a Rubicon suspension?

Take a fully loaded Rubicon, remove the $125 a piece shocks and springs, the front locker and disco.

Now, add $3-4K Fox dual bypass shocks, hydraulic jounce bumpers, strengthen the frame and add an upgraded set of seats and steering wheel. Change the transfer case to one more suited for it purpose and a different hood. Then you would have my Mojave. Which for the record, had an MSRP higher than any Rubicon on the lot at the time I purchased it.

I love Rubicons for the record (I planned on buying one when I went to the dealer that day)... but let’s be honest if we are going to have this discussion. They are built slightly different, with slightly different pros and cons and slightly different purposes in mind. To call the the Mojave a Willy’s is beyond inaccurate. The Mojave is a modified Rubicon. Jeep has stated as much, it’s not confusing.
Yep, it is no Willys. It really started at Rubi and things were changed to adapt it to a specialized mission, same as the Rubi is specialized for crawling. That's why the base price on the two is exactly the same.

If I were buying a Gladiator, I'd have a really tough time right now deciding between a Rubi and a Mojave, based on how I would use it. Either would do anything I'd want, but I'd want it to be more focused on it. I'd be more of an overlander with the Gladiator whereas I'm more of a technical trail off-roader with the Wrangler. I still fantasize about having a Mojave alongside my JLUR in the garage. Then I could pick the one that's right for the particular trip. We can all dream, right?

studiodfw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
Yep, it is no Willys. It really started at Rubi and things were changed to adapt it to a specialized mission, same as the Rubi is specialized for crawling. That's why the base price on the two is exactly the same.

If I were buying a Gladiator, I'd have a really tough time right now deciding between a Rubi and a Mojave, based on how I would use it. Either would do anything I'd want, but I'd want it to be more focused on it. I'd be more of an overlander with the Gladiator whereas I'm more of a technical trail off-roader with the Wrangler. I still fantasize about having a Mojave alongside my JLUR in the garage. Then I could pick the one that's right for the particular trip. We can all dream, right?

100% this ⬆

studiodfw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
And I'm not dogging on a Willys. They are extremely capable, too. But not specialized like a Rubi or Mojave.
Agreed. There is a garage for all Jeeps.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what? Certainly not MSRP, which is what manufacturers / dealers base the phrase “top of the line” on.

Manufacturers make different models to fit different needs, wants and budgets (which is also not a secret) and thus sell more vehicles. Just because certain models don’t fit your needs or wants doesn’t mean you should minimize someone else’s vehicle of choice by saying it shouldn’t even exist. Once upon a time Henry Ford made a lot money by only selling Model T’s in black. Today’s consumers want choices and ways to express their individuality, which is one of the reasons Jeeps are so widely popular, their ability to be customized.

You may not have meant it to be insulting but it is certainly not the coolest thing you could say. Maybe just stick to enjoying your vehicle and letting everybody else enjoy theirs.
Did you need me to build you a soap box or are you done?

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wonder if a lot of reviews on the Gladiator and as in this article he mentions several times how the Mojave and Jeeps in general “wanders” on the highway, is this because they rushed out demo jeeps with the steering box issue? The Mojave I test drove was tight and really did ride smooth over bumps at speed. I get the haters of Mohave as just an edtion, but most people have no use or need for front locker, disonnect sway bar and ultra low transfer case in their Jeeps. The Mojave is not being given a decent chance and saying it is for high speed driving in deserts by everyone misses the fact that it does everything pretty damn good with a better ride, then the other models. I drove a sport , Rubicon and Mojave, Mojavehands down better fit my needs and I never go to Malls ,hate shopping period, will never spend money to adjust the rake of a pickup truck that has rake designed for carrying loads, and lifting jeeps and adding tires for the look.
Hey I bought a 1982 scrambler first year they came out, gone two years later, Mojave, overland, Sport , Sport S , Max tow, all could be gone in two years. Max tow should just be an option on any model in my mind. Thanks I feel better now, Mojave is built waiting to ship, I’m waiting to mount front surf rod/cooler rack, RSI cap, air compressor and cap mounted rod and kayak racks so I can drive at high speeds on the sand of the Atlantic coast beachs!.....Jack

ps: most surf fishing beaches have like 25mph speed limits.
Yeah, I take my JTR to OBX (North Carolina beaches) and the speed limit is 25, and guess what?? My Rubi kills it every time with zero issues. With that being said, I was actually considering the Mojave. I do like the way jeep set that rig up and I can appreciate what it is capable of doing. All in all we are all jeep lovers and IMO there isn't a better vehicle on the market to drive for pure satisfaction.... regardless of the submodel you purchased.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a33758286/2020-jeep-gladiator-mojave-review/
So it isn't the warm and fuzzy press the gladiator is used to but to be fair it isn't that far off the mark.
The "experts" who write these articles are no more expert than any of the many stalwart members of this forum.

If I had listed to the "experts", I would not be enjoying my JT with manual transmission.

His biggest complaint seems to be Mojave doesn't have the road manners he likes.

HELLO! It's marketed by Jeep as a desert-rated vehicle.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
The crazy thing about internet only articles - they make them seem like they are fact checked in the same way we're all used to when they are put in print.

I don't want to sound like an old guy at the ripe age of 47, but I'm not sure I would put a whole lot of weight behind the opinions of a "kid" who graduated high school in 2015. Not exactly a car expert!

Here's his LinkedIn profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/macklinhogan/

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
I think Road & Track fired all their good writers back in 2012 when they were moved to Michigan. I also expect a few good writers chose to be unemployed in California rather than relocate to Michigan. Road & Track used to be kind of a snob's magazine. But since the whole magazine market has been circling the drain for years, I suppose they're having to write to the lowest common denominator and hiring anyone willing to work cheap.

I honestly believe someone at Ford picked up the phone, called Road & Track and said, "Hey, that new Jeep Mojave thing it going to cut into our Raptor sales. Crank out a critical article and we'll renew our advertising package for another year". And thus, we get this article.

It's fun to look back at old magazines to read their reviews. I'll never forget the Renault Alliance being the Motor Trend Car of the Year back in 1983. A Marine Corps Major I worked with bought one of those turds on treads literally because it was the Car of the Year. Boy did he regret that purchase. Chrysler ended up buying back a lot of those cars when they acquired AMC/Renault. It was much cheaper than trying to fix the plethora of horrific problems.

Similarly, I remember Rolling Stone giving the new Bryan Adams album "Cuts Like a Knife" a pretty poor review. Of course, that album launched his career and went multi-platinum. While sales don't always indicate quality, a few of the songs off that album are now Pop-Rock classics.

So, yeah. Who cares what Road Track says.

Great Renault story...sounds like it should have been the subject of a Top Gear episode!
Sponsored