Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM, Wrangler LJ
Occupation
PhotoAd
All you fancy 8-speed folks... I just repurpose this for my "Select Speed"

1669913005828.png
What is that?! Looks sketchy as f.. would hate to get in an accident with that between my legs..
Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
What is that?! Looks sketchy as f.. would hate to get in an accident with that between my legs..
It's a brake bleeder assist for a one-man bleed

OP
OP
Kevin_D

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I've never tried it, not too many significant hills here, but did you do much or any shifting with the "M-Mode"?
That’s how you control the speed: you shift from 1-8, with 1 about 0.6 mph, and 8 about 3.6 mph.

Kevin

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I thought it was for when your in the mountains on an interstate when you have like a 9% - 13% grade down hill in 2wd.
That's what cruise control is for.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading a bunch of posts on this, I finally tried it out this morning. Duck Mode - helped me remember what it looked like.

It was cool as crap. shift into M and you can use the shifter 1-8 to adjust speed. It doesn't change gears, just runs faster.

The brake pedal felt funny while doing this. I suspect the ABS is primed to optimize the BLD. It worked with the rear Dif locked, but if you are going to trust the computer you might as well go all in and depend on the BLD.

I was on an easy dirt road, but intentionally ran the right front tire into a basketball sized rock at 1 mph. It adjusted masterfully and just rolled over the obstruction.

Sponsored

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
Exactly! Jeep for some reason doesn't promote this feature to the extent that Toyota promotes their system. Cool that it works both ways (up/down).
Jeep doesn’t promote it and this thread is a testament to the poor job Jeep dealers do when they sell/deliver their vehicles. Selling 4WD vehicles and not explaining this feature (or any features in some cases) is beyond ridiculous.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
OP, I was wondering if you had lockers and tried that as well?

OasisJeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Irrigation Dealer
I used "Duck Mode" in Big Bend Ranch State Park a couple months ago. Trailed for several hours with my son. He was driving his Taco off-Road package manual trans and we were continually stopping to let him catch up. I was totally impressed with that option. I did find out if you start using accelerator and brake, it seems like it confuses the Controller.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lockers, no limited-slip, no SelecTrac, just a lowly Sport S.

Kevin
So this is available on base trucks?? That's awesome.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Silverado 2500HD
Occupation
Construction Management
Sooo, last week I was headed to Jackson, WY and hit a particularly nasty section of road thru Bridger-Teton National Forrest.
It was close to midnight on the stretch from I-15 in Idaho eastwards to Wyoming.

I’d been on the trip fourteen hours from home already, and this stretch of road had blinding snow, and the roads weren’t plowed. I went for two hours without seeing another pair of headlights.

I set cruise control at 30 mph and got a little confident and eased the pedal up to 35-38 mph.

Suddenly I found myself sliding outward into the “snowbank guardrail” with steep descent beyond into oblivion.

I naturally let off the gas pedal, and tried to steer back into the road.
No response, I kept heading for low snowbank and started into it, when the cruise control kicked in and all of a sudden with all four wheels driving, I pulled right out of snow bank and back onto the road.

Having that speed control kick in is what saved me plowing thru the snowbank and down the precipice.

it was sweet relief, and another three hours to finish the last 100 mikes to Jackson. The panicked adrenaline rush kept me alert for that final stretch…😂😂😂

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
I think he just had the cruise control on. Good that he didn’t stab the brake pedal. That would have killed the cruise control.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I've used duck mode in sand when I thought I buried myself. It got me out, albeit slowly. I've also used it as a makeshift locker to manipulate the traction control system-- works like a charm. It, in combination of the traction control, is actually so good that I declined to install lockers when I did my own re-gear. I just haven't needed lockers, and I do some fairly gnarly rock crawling. There's a point where there is no substitute for lockers, but with the limited slip in the rear and traction control, it just works.

I'll say the times I wish I did have a locker was going up a sandy, steep embankment and doing that thing where you're sitting and staring into space, concentrating on the wheel slip and brake engagement to time the throttle correctly. Avoiding the wheel spin in the first place would be the most ideal (hence lockers), but to date I've never needed to back down an obstacle or get my winch solely due to a lack of lockers.

Compared with a 90s era unlimited slip 4x4-- those things are horrendous and essentially 2wd. Most of the new 4x4 systems, whether in Toyota, Ford, or Jeep, have pretty fancy traction control systems that do the trick.
Sponsored