Sponsored

Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau?

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Hi guys,

I am shopping hard tonneaus because I drive around with a couple of toolboxes in the back. I may go with a cheap hard tri-fold, or I may build something myself.

I really kinda like the design of the Diamondback HD cover, but I wonder about its' actual utility. Link:

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondback-hd-jeep?variant=29215498993763

Does anyone have one of these? What is the reality of living with it day to day? What are you carrying in the bed?

I currently have a 2007 Silverado with a tri-fold soft tonneau and it wirks great for 99.999% of everything I use it for, so I have no qualms about getting another tri-fold (just hard this time, to secure my toolboxes). My uses include the aforementioned toolboxes, building supplies 1-2x/month, and my kids two bikes 3-4x/month. Plus the usual load of mulch or some other crap, when I usually take the cover off entirely anyway.

I would prefer not to have to buy a separate bike rack if possible, tri-fold just lets me throw them in the bed. Also, when carrying 2x4s and stuff, I would prefer not to have a big clamshell hanging open.

Does the Diamondback address these in any way? I like the added utility of being able to strap stuff on top of it, and being able to open both the front and the back. If you have something sticking up (bikes) or out the back (lumber) do you just strap it down as far as it will go? Does it twist or bend? I am thinking of building kind of a knockoff of the Diamondback style but with basically the same opening style - a 6-8" section in the middle that clamps down, and clamshells that open in front and back. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $1800 for a bed cover, can't stand "tough guy" diamond plate, and I'd like to change the dimensions up a little bit anyway. But the general style is what I'm going for. Also thinking about building it so the clamshells can fold back over themselves and strap down flat (think maybe something like a "bi-fold" - like where the rear clamshell folds all the way forward and straps down to the front).

Thanks,
Darel

Anyone actually have one that can give me an idea what it's like to live with?
Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 80D0F543-1250-47BD-8C53-5D6059142994

You can’t fit a full size bike in without taking the cover off or installing a secondary rack.

I like the cover’s security though. Makes for a nice safe place to put things.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Hi guys,

I am shopping hard tonneaus because I drive around with a couple of toolboxes in the back. I may go with a cheap hard tri-fold, or I may build something myself.

I really kinda like the design of the Diamondback HD cover, but I wonder about its' actual utility. Link:

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondback-hd-jeep?variant=29215498993763

Does anyone have one of these? What is the reality of living with it day to day? What are you carrying in the bed?

I currently have a 2007 Silverado with a tri-fold soft tonneau and it wirks great for 99.999% of everything I use it for, so I have no qualms about getting another tri-fold (just hard this time, to secure my toolboxes). My uses include the aforementioned toolboxes, building supplies 1-2x/month, and my kids two bikes 3-4x/month. Plus the usual load of mulch or some other crap, when I usually take the cover off entirely anyway.

I would prefer not to have to buy a separate bike rack if possible, tri-fold just lets me throw them in the bed. Also, when carrying 2x4s and stuff, I would prefer not to have a big clamshell hanging open.

Does the Diamondback address these in any way? I like the added utility of being able to strap stuff on top of it, and being able to open both the front and the back. If you have something sticking up (bikes) or out the back (lumber) do you just strap it down as far as it will go? Does it twist or bend? I am thinking of building kind of a knockoff of the Diamondback style but with basically the same opening style - a 6-8" section in the middle that clamps down, and clamshells that open in front and back. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $1800 for a bed cover, can't stand "tough guy" diamond plate, and I'd like to change the dimensions up a little bit anyway. But the general style is what I'm going for. Also thinking about building it so the clamshells can fold back over themselves and strap down flat (think maybe something like a "bi-fold" - like where the rear clamshell folds all the way forward and straps down to the front).

Thanks,
Darel

Anyone actually have one that can give me an idea what it's like to live with?
I love the security of it. Nobody is getting in it. I also like how it sits up a bit giving more room in the bed as well. My main reason for it is to have a secure place for items when I am doorless (which is a lot.). My secondary reason is I didn't want to lose having a truck bed because of having a cover. This solves that for me since I can and have strapped things to the top with no issue. It is sturdy.

My 3 complaints

1. Cost- I feel like they just set a price and make that for all models, yet somehow the cost on this is the same as a truck with an 8ft bed. Don't get me wrong this makes the $500 covers look like garbage and the $1000 ones look pretty bad, but still was a hard pill to swallow. Would do it again though haven't found anything comparable.

2. Waterproofing - It is just ever so close to being water proof, just a few drips in there. Nothing bad or really noticable at all. Just that little bit from perfection. It takes a heavy rain to get wet as well.

3. Rack systems - I really want to put a rack system on here, they even have official ones. They all require drilling into it though. Not something I am remotely comfortable on given this is a $2000 cover.

To your bike question is it one or multiple? I honestly just lay my 29in one down and ratchet strap it. not pretty but it works

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Thanks guys. I'm still thinking about building my bi-fold design and just getting one of those trailer hitch bike racks. The bikes are really the only roadblock here, and in the end, it's my truck, not the kids'.

Not too worried about waterproof (though I will install seals) because everything will be in Rubbermaids or my plastic rolling boxes. But, from what I read the tailgate itself isn't sealed and lets a lot of water in anyway?

I will say I am surprised about how well my 10-year-old soft tri-fold on my Silverado keeps out water. That bed is still DRY even in a deluge.

I think my biggest complaint with the Dback is how the lids pop up but they don't seem to be able to fold over flat without major disassembly. That's the one think I really want to fix if I copy theirs and build my own. That way long items can stick out of the bed like normal and you're not twisting the cover strapping it down on top of them.

Maybe I should worry about ordering the truck first......

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
So far I like mine.

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200425_195109
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200425_195051

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200519_173949

FrontRunner cross bars installed on universal tracks (which does require drilling cover). Crossbars come off when not in use.
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200518_161015

Hauling long lumber. When I returned for more I just half opened the tailgate, and skid the wood under the cover (didn't need to open the cover at all).
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200520_180827
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200522_100125
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200523_091222
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200523_100718

Weight of tent does require you to slightly push up on it to close the tailgate due to diamondback cover and seals.

Sponsored

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
The bifolds do fold back on to the other side. It is also extremely easy to just remove one side (just slide the hinge apart...no bolts or clamp). The only clamps are in the center cross member that holds everything down via the hinge, when open). I'll get some pictures for you.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
The bifolds do fold back on to the other side. It is also extremely easy to just remove one side (just slide the hinge apart...no bolts or clamp). The only clamps are in the center cross member that holds everything down via the hinge, when open). I'll get some pictures for you.
Ok thanks! Didn't know it was that easy. Looks great BTW.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
More pictures

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_063602
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_063702

Fold back. Just need to unclip the 2 pistons

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_063942

Longer lumber and 5 gallon buckets under the cover.

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_063752

To remove a lid, put into a vertical position and lift this side to separate hinge.
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_064023

Then on this side the hinge slides apart.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Gotcha! Wow thanks for the detail. Honestly Diamondback should describe all that on the website. I love the mismatched hinges to keep it from sliding back and forth. Now I'm figuring I wouldn't be able to build something like that myself for less money so I may just bite the bullet and let them do the work for me. Especially since I'd have to work in steel (don't have a spool gun or AL gas) and it'd weigh 1100 lbs when I got done.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
Forgot a couple pictures

The only thing that holds it down (bolt/clamp wise) is 4 cap clamps in the center rail.
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_064853

When shut the locking mechanism also holds it down.
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200606_065038

I love that it is completely lockable

Sponsored

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
Something new from diamondback

Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200608_211225

GameFabricator

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Gator Green
Jeep Gladiator Living with DIamondback HD hard tonneau? 20200608_211225

You can’t fit a full size bike in without taking the cover off or installing a secondary rack.

I like the cover’s security though. Makes for a nice safe place to put things.
What mounting rails did you use for the Thule rack? Looks really cool.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
What mounting rails did you use for the Thule rack? Looks really cool.
those are front runner rails. I bought a pair of their universal rails and cut the down to size. They come with rubber bases that you can cut also. Whole install didn’t take long. Just remember to measure twice :)

Ksagaser

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Diamondback just released their smooth aluminum with Line-X. Pretty clean design.

Daddycorder's Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Do you mind measuring the beam support of the panel? LxWxH if possible. just wanna how high (thick) the beam support are. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored