Load Rating on Truck for Towing

chesafreak

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad
After much internal debate with regards to tire size I am looking at going with 35s over 37s for simplicity on fitting on a Rubicon without worrying about a lift at the moment.. I may end up regretting it but time will tell. One of the factors was we are looking at grabbing a small travel trailer. Was eyeballing the C rated Toyo Open Country AT3 35x12.5x17 as they are only 59lbs but then got me worrying about the load rating of 111Q. Where the truck sticker says the Wildpeaks are 116s. Should I be hesitant with these for towing a small 4k lb trailer?

Toyo Open Country AT III All Terrain Tires for Sale (wheelhero.com)
Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
The trailer rides on it's own tires, I don't think it would effect the truck tires. I had always considered the load rating of the ST trailer tires being the most important. Someone will come along and set us straight.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Approximately 10 to 15% of your trailer weight should be on your hitch. This weight gets added to your carrying capacity (or I guess gets subtracted from your weight capacity). As long as the total combined weight is below the weight carrying capacity of the tires (and I can’t imagine it going over and still being within your GVWR) then you’ll be fine.

Edit to add: Those tires can carry 2910 #’s each… You’ll be fine if you stay within your GVWR.

OP
OP
chesafreak

chesafreak

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad
Approximately 10 to 15% of your trailer weight should be on your hitch. This weight gets added to your carrying capacity (or I guess gets subtracted from your weight capacity). As long as the total combined weight is below the weight carrying capacity of the tires (and I can’t imagine it going over and still being within your GVWR) then you’ll be fine.

Edit to add: Those tires can carry 2910 #’s each… You’ll be fine if you stay within your GVWR.
Appreciate it. Kinda what i was thinking. Just going under stock had me concerned. Went and looked at the Rear GAWR and its 3750 lb. so as long as i stay in payload Im assuming shouldnt have any issues.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The load rating on most tires that fit these is more than adequate for towing even heavier loads. It's more of a concern if you may out payload but then if you take the total weight of the truck with trailer tongue and payload and divide by 4, you'll still be well under the tire's rating. I've never worried about the tires on my vehicles - even when I towed a lot more and hauled a pallet of block in my Chevy. I was still well under the tire's ratings when I did the math.

Exactly.
People have tried to convince me I needed tires with more load rating and I'm like - why??? I can't possibly carry enough weight to be concerned about the tires.

BTW - that's the one place there is a law - tire load rating. But no way in heck these Gladiators will need to worry about that.

Sponsored

CAG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You should always weigh each axle, better to weigh each wheel (shows if you have a balanced load left to right). You can be under overall but over on a axle.

For this it is unlikely that you would overload a tire but not the axle. but the payload is limited and those mods and milkshakes add up. the payload is everything... you, the dog, the beer, mods that you added, you get the idea.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
but the payload is limited and those mods and milkshakes add up. the payload is everything... you, the dog, the beer, mods that you added, you get the idea.
Yeah, for sure - and covered ad nauseum in the 2 or 3 other threads on payload and towing. 🤔

ANYTHING put in or on a truck after it leaves the factory impacts that - anything.
But back to tires - you ain't gonna overload the load rating on almost any tire with these trucks unless you stack everything up on one of the front corners.
Tire load ratings are what you worry about on F250s, F350s and so on, or trucks with a lot more towing and payload capacity than even a max tow JT has.
Sponsored