First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
2020 JT Rubicon. While in 2 wheel drive my locker light went on flashing indicating that the rear locker is engaged. It is not engaged.
This has continued repeatedly with different warning lights coming on and with the off road pages sometimes saying that both lockers are engaged. They are not engaged.

Once my dash popped up a text to the effect that “warning: axle locker needs service” but I only saw that once.

I have put the JT in 4 wheel high and low and engaged the rear and front lockers off and on and they work fine.

Is this just a bad sensor that can easily be replaced or something more significant?
Jeep Gladiator Locker issue Sensor3
Jeep Gladiator Locker issue Sensor2
Jeep Gladiator Locker issue Sensor
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Do a search, others have had the problem and in one of the threads they have talked about the dealer fix, and I believe it was pretty significant.

OP
OP
Tonopah01

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I also posted in the JL Forum and what I hear there is that there is no replacement for the rear sensor itself -- the entire rear axle must be replaced. Oh boy. I have a supercharger and I can foresee the jeep service dpt telling me that the add'l horsepower/torque is the source of the problem so it won't be covered under warranty. Can't wait.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I also posted in the JL Forum and what I hear there is that there is no replacement for the rear sensor itself -- the entire rear axle must be replaced. Oh boy. I have a supercharger and I can foresee the jeep service dpt telling me that the add'l horsepower/torque is the source of the problem so it won't be covered under warranty. Can't wait.
Do a search in this forum - there's several threads, one pretty long, there's a thread outlining a sensor issue and potential prevention, and other nifty info. Apparently some do engage? Have I read that correctly?

Anyway, it's enough of an issue you'll find more than one long and informative thread about this.

Axle swap is the fix.........

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tonopah01

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
If the rear axle does have to be replaced, and if I have to pay for it myself -- I might want to skip OEM and go aftermarket for something stronger? Suggestions as to my options for aftermarket rear axel for a JT Rubicon?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Well it doesn’t “need” to be replaced, unless you want something stronger. I don’t know if they have bolt in 60’s for it yet but if you do swap them out there is a ready market for your takeouts.
Gregj

WNCJEEP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition Rubicon Gladiator; 2014 JKU Rubicon; 1981 CJ7 Laredo
My locker light was blinking at first then went solid. I tested it, the rear locker was definitely engaged in all drive formats. Dealer ended up replacing the rear axle. Seemed like over kill, but that's on Jeep dime.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
If the rear axle does have to be replaced, and if I have to pay for it myself -- I might want to skip OEM and go aftermarket for something stronger? Suggestions as to my options for aftermarket rear axel for a JT Rubicon?
I havent seen an aftermarket D44 option, but there are lots of D60 options available. The one I think I like best is the ProFloat XD60 specifically because it is a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Means you can replace just the rear & keep your current wheels. I contacted Dynatrac & they said pricing should be about 7k for it.

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/jeep-gladiator-jt/profloat-xd60-for-jt.html

If money wasnt is issue I would do that & the Prorock 44 front to match it.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I know there's multiple threads about this but I chose this one to comment on... Well sign me up as part of the failed rear locker sensor club. My JTR with 17K miles started acting up in 4LO with a flashing disengagement light last week on a wheeling trip. The locker was disengaged the entire time it flashed but the light kept flashing all day until finally it went off on the ride home (about 3 hours later).

Just today, in 2HI, the rear locker light is fully "ON" but I'm not engaged. I'm waiting for the service locker light next for complete failure. Hopefully once this triggers I'll call the dealer to see how far out a service appt might be.

In the meantime I'm seriously considering spending $180 of my own money on the Z-locker harness to make sure I can use the locker if needed before warranty repair... stay tuned.

John

Sponsored

Wet Willy

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 JKU Willys Wheeler
Occupation
Maintainer
I know there's multiple threads about this but I chose this one to comment on... Well sign me up as part of the failed rear locker sensor club. My JTR with 17K miles started acting up in 4LO with a flashing disengagement light last week on a wheeling trip. The locker was disengaged the entire time it flashed but the light kept flashing all day until finally it went off on the ride home (about 3 hours later).

Just today, in 2HI, the rear locker light is fully "ON" but I'm not engaged. I'm waiting for the service locker light next for complete failure. Hopefully once this triggers I'll call the dealer to see how far out a service appt might be.

In the meantime I'm seriously considering spending $180 of my own money on the Z-locker harness to make sure I can use the locker if needed before warranty repair... stay tuned.

John
Did you ever end up fixing this issue? My JT just started this issue, after some research I have found it is best to buy the Zlocker harness. I ordered one Just wanted to see if it worked. Really sucks, as I only have 5,000 miles on it. The wait for a rear axle is long and the light is annoying

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Did you ever end up fixing this issue? My JT just started this issue, after some research I have found it is best to buy the Zlocker harness. I ordered one Just wanted to see if it worked. Really sucks, as I only have 5,000 miles on it. The wait for a rear axle is long and the light is annoying
So mine never completely failed, but I'm waiting on it. I will buy the Zlocker harness once I regear because I'll void the warranty at that point for the locker. If it goes out before I regear I'll try to warranty it but I might not have the patience to wait for an axle and forego wheeling.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been blinking on and off since Oct. 2020.
It started around 18k, now at 26k.

Over the last 2 months, it's only come on 2x, but almost always comes on during long trips at some point.

The dealer said they think it's a module behind the rear seat that's getting wet from my rear window leaking. Sadly, this also has been on the table and waiting for the dealer to fix.

I just spoke with the dealer today and the new eta for the window is mid-April; so I doubt I'll have the locker light fixed before next Christmas at this rate.

Side note; it completely f's my plans to do a regear because I don't know what the locker light fix will be and don't want to have to pay for my regear a second time if they replace the axle...

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Dropped mine off for the locker sensor issue on Tuesday. Let me know Wednesday that they were putting a new differential in it and it should be here by Monday. Unfortunately, they called back on Friday and said it was backordered until April 1. They also said that I "probably shouldn't drive it." Luckily they gave me a rental, but I'd really like my Jeep back. I'm worried that April 1 will turn into May 1, etc...

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Dropped mine off for the locker sensor issue on Tuesday. Let me know Wednesday that they were putting a new differential in it and it should be here by Monday. Unfortunately, they called back on Friday and said it was backordered until April 1. They also said that I "probably shouldn't drive it." Luckily they gave me a rental, but I'd really like my Jeep back. I'm worried that April 1 will turn into May 1, etc...
They didn't quite make it by April 1st, but they did call me today to let me know that the rear diff came in. I should have my Gladiator back by Wednesday with a new rear end and hopefully the rear window leak fixed. It's "only" been 3 weeks...but definitely feels like a very long time since I dropped it off. Can't wait!
Sponsored