Lockers icon blinking after towing

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I was just getting home from a trip towing a small RV and when I put on the brakes I felt a few shutters. Felt like the trailer brakes were jolting on and off. After that, the locker light came on and is flashing. Looks like my lockers still work and can engage and disengage, but the light keeps blinking when unlocked. Any advice before taking to dealer ?
Sponsored

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
Most likely a dealer visit. With this type of issue, if you have more then one dealer in your area, research them first. Dealers can be vastly different in how they treat a jeep that is modded. I know there are a few here who have experienced similar issues.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Several threads on this - and oddly enough, it seems to be happening after towing for a number of folks. Interesting.
Get it to a dealer..........

OP
OP
Jems007

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Several threads on this - and oddly enough, it seems to be happening after towing for a number of folks. Interesting.
Get it to a dealer..........
Papa, I couldnā€™t find the other thread that specifically is when someone is towing. Can you point me to which ones discuss this?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is definitely more common when towing a trailer of some sort. It would be interesting to do a test with two vehicles towing identical trailers, 1 which is plugged into the trailer wiring, and 1 which wasnā€™t.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is definitely more common when towing a trailer of some sort. It would be interesting to do a test with two vehicles towing identical trailers, 1 which is plugged into the trailer wiring, and 1 which wasnā€™t.
That's what I thought I observed, but bear with me here a bit - why? Electrical? How can that be? Those systems are very isolated.
Power, "parking lights", trailer brakes (with the output coming from a brake controller), left and right turn and brake lights (I believe powered through the ABS module)
Heat? More heat in towing.......?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That's what I thought I observed, but bear with me here a bit - why? Electrical? How can that be? Those systems are very isolated.
Power, "parking lights", trailer brakes (with the output coming from a brake controller), left and right turn and brake lights (I believe powered through the ABS module)
Heat? More heat in towing.......?
I donā€™t know that towing generates much more heat in the differential than having large tires. I guess it could, which could be why Jeep recommends heavier gear oil if towing. I bet most people donā€™t swap it out before towing. Maybe a short somewhere? I donā€™t know enough about CANBUS.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
This happened to me. Dealer replaced the rear axle under warranty. Havenā€™t towed since.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
This makes me nervous. I tow a travel trailer with my JTR once every few months. I have about 1500 miles towing so far with no issues. I just regeared it today. Hoping that wonā€™t effect the warranty if this happens to me.

I didnā€™t know we should be running a different diff oil if we are towing. Iā€™ll have to look into that.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
The issue is well known and covered in the JL forums and here, it is the locker sensor getting gear oil infiltration and shorting out the sensor. The sensor is not available separately and the entire axle needs replaced, if you regear they may or may not cover under warranty (depends on dealer) and you would have to pay to have the axle regeared again.

For anyone that regears, you need to pot the sensor to try and keep this from happening.

When I have mine regeared I am having the sensors potted. ZAutomotive has a kit that blocks the error but does not fix the problem and only hides it.

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danballardphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
The issue is well known and covered in the JL forums and here, it is the locker sensor getting gear oil infiltration and shorting out the sensor. The sensor is not available separately and the entire axle needs replaced, if you regear they may or may not cover under warranty (depends on dealer) and you would have to pay to have the axle regeared again.

For anyone that regears, you need to pot the sensor to try and keep this from happening.

When I have mine regeared I am having the sensors potted. ZAutomotive has a kit that blocks the error but does not fix the problem and only hides it.

Exactly.

I have the Z Automotive fix and it has been perfect since. Plug and play.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I also did the "Z" fix, works fine, all dash lights work, shows when locked or unlocked, but the sensor being out of the circuit can not prove you are locked, just that you selected it. I had a real problem with Jeep taking out my whole rear end, doing brakes, axle swaps and putting it all back together, then a member posted here his second one failed, and getting another rear changeout. Apparently, they would rather send out a whole axle instead of a small part that will still fail as no improvement yet (??). So, I paid the money got the Z kit and am happy, I can unplug the kit and take it in to be fixed when they have upgraded potted sensors, or perhaps just not worry about it. I actually for my use would have rather have had a limited slip rear, that although not as off road capable works when you need it not while you are trying to push a button......Jack

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I was just getting home from a trip towing a small RV and when I put on the brakes I felt a few shutters. Felt like the trailer brakes were jolting on and off. After that, the locker light came on and is flashing. Looks like my lockers still work and can engage and disengage, but the light keeps blinking when unlocked. Any advice before taking to dealer ?
Sorry to hear this, Jems007. Have you visited the dealer yet for this? If so, send us a private message; we would like to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Jems007

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sorry to hear this, Jems007. Have you visited the dealer yet for this? If so, send us a private message; we would like to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I have an appointment tomorrow. I am going to PM you now.
Sponsored