First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It may be just a truck, but it's mine and if you are on my property trying to take it or get inside to take something then you should of already weighed out the consequences in your mind. The penalty for that in my yard would be death or a trip to the hospital to have a bullet removed. Now if your sitting inside your vehicle and you decide to leave then ok, you made a wise choice, but if your already in the act then the consequences are on you. These times we live in have made people soft, that's why the thieving has went up.
You missed my point. It’s not that I care what happens to the POS thief. It’s that you can’t care for your own responsibilities while you’re in jail for Voluntary Manslaughter. Your Jeep must be more important to you than your freedom or your family. Stay hard!
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Let's be complete.

More white collar crime goes unpunished in the same neighborhoods we are talking about, at a greater cost to our society, than any penny anty thieve steals when they get your car.

For example I would bring up the people who earn an income selling us JTs, specifically these dealerships we talk about by name who shall get paid to do a tsb for steering issues and who deny services.

How much income or time have we lost rearranging our lives to put a car in a dealership on their schedule and occasionally they don't honor the tsb? Anybody miss a sale because they were wasting time with the rare dealer who isn't on the up and up, or parts supplier, or shipper? That costs way more than car thieves annually in wasted time. And all we do is rant in forums.

When everyone is ready to hold their neighbors accountable, eye for eye tooth for tooth, I'll believe in all this said about shooting a car thief.

Until then, unless you take equal notice of the thievery going on by attendees at your barbeque, and you report them to authorities similarly, I won't believe in any of this shooting one thief and blind eye to the other thief.

My opinion only and not meant to offend.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
How much income or time have we lost rearranging our lives to put a car in a dealership on their schedule and occasionally they don't honor the tsb? Anybody miss a sale because they were wasting time with the rare dealer who isn't on the up and up, or parts supplier, or shipper? That costs way more than car thieves annually in wasted time. And all we do is rant in forums.
I mean it's not really a crime, but I see what you're getting at. I spent so much time on an incompetent subcontractor last month I ended up burning that bridge and invoicing them. Felt kinda nice, lol.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I mean it's not really a crime, but I see what you're getting at. I spent so much time on an incompetent subcontractor last month I ended up burning that bridge and invoicing them. Felt kinda nice, lol.
It's weird though how I instinctively reply to people who have trouble at dealers, even when the dealer is at fault, and tell the consumer to focus on the relationship, bringing your patience and provide full documentation, make sure you know in advance they have prepared for your vehicle specifically; and at the same time I feel justified doling out some justice to a looky loo suspected car thief around my vehicle. Strange world! This Jeep steering issue is evidentiary. We have how many threads? How many hours spend on the topic? And nobody went second amendment in any of them. One or two Possible car thieves? Everyone gets all constitutional. We need to straighten out shit out and fly right. Too much BS these days .... just be honest about what you say and do, people are fine with that, and don't pretend some shit to underpin an obviously contradictory lie. My opinions.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I once found someone breaking into my car in front of my house. I surprised him, with a shotgun and a flashlight, while he was laying under the dash trying to hot wire it or steal something, don't know. I made him crawl out and do the flat on the ground thing while calling 911. It took 20 minutes for police to arrive. Do you have any idea how long that feels when you have a criminal laying at the end of a gun, and you have to stay steady and full alert not really knowing if he might be armed too or otherwise attack? Probably took years off my life.

That said, I don't know that I'd do anything differently, because fuck thieves.

Sponsored

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
Their plan wasn't to take anything off the Jeep. Their plan was to TAKE your Jeep. There are ways and means of bypassing any auto security system. You got lucky this time.
When we first moved into our house we were using our garage as a storage bin. Most of our neighbors do this. Not long after moving in there was some vandalism not far from us. We quickly decided to clean out the garage so we could park our cars inside and out of sight. Not saying it was an easy adjustment moving all that stuff around, but the thought of someone getting my Jeep was !@#$. Shortly after that our next door neighbor's car was vandalized. Protect your Jeep.

OP
OP
SWFLGladiator

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Their plan wasn't to take anything off the Jeep. Their plan was to TAKE your Jeep. There are ways and means of bypassing any auto security system. You got lucky this time.
When we first moved into our house we were using our garage as a storage bin. Most of our neighbors do this. Not long after moving in there was some vandalism not far from us. We quickly decided to clean out the garage so we could park our cars inside and out of sight. Not saying it was an easy adjustment moving all that stuff around, but the thought of someone getting my Jeep was !@#$. Shortly after that our next door neighbor's car was vandalized. Protect your Jeep.
That is sort of what my original question was. I was curious if they were after something commonly stolen from Jeeps, OR if they were likely going to take the whole truck.
They did come back again Saturday night around 2:30am, and did a very slow drive by. Same vehicle. It was caught on my neighbors system again. I was awake (watching for them) and went outside when they were out front of my house to try and get a plate number. But they took off again.
We bought a camera system that will send notifications to my phone, so we can activate a spotlight and/or siren if needed. Should be here tomorrow, and I’ll hopefully have them installed for tomorrow night. I need some sleep.....

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It's extremely unlikely that they planned to steal the Jeep, since that's very difficult. It's no longer the days when you can steal a vehicle with some jumper clips or a remote code guesser. But stealing stuff from it can be pretty easy.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That is sort of what my original question was. I was curious if they were after something commonly stolen from Jeeps, OR if they were likely going to take the whole truck.
They did come back again Saturday night around 2:30am, and did a very slow drive by. Same vehicle. It was caught on my neighbors system again. I was awake (watching for them) and went outside when they were out front of my house to try and get a plate number. But they took off again.
We bought a camera system that will send notifications to my phone, so we can activate a spotlight and/or siren if needed. Should be here tomorrow, and I’ll hopefully have them installed for tomorrow night. I need some sleep.....
It probably not about your Jeep at all...

OP
OP
SWFLGladiator

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
It's extremely unlikely that they planned to steal the Jeep, since that's very difficult. It's no longer the days when you can steal a vehicle with some jumper clips or a remote code guesser. But stealing stuff from it can be pretty easy.
It probably not about your Jeep at all...
Possible. Cameras will be installed regardless.

Sponsored

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Lot of security options out there. In addition to having a home security system, I also Installed some Arlo security cameras. These things are great and can be monitored from anywhere so long as you have the password since they are cloud based. They are wireless so long as you remember to charge the batteries but if your forgetful like me, just leave them plugged in via a wire and you now have a permanent camera that never needs to be charged. Add a motion activated light and you have suddenly created less then ideal scenario for thieves.

good luck and stay vigilant.

Find any rubber ducks?
- This one had me laughing pretty hard.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
This is actually completely wrong. I'm a bit of a technical nerd and for the fun of it built a rf code reader with my step daughter Who is a computer engineer student...It was her project for her cyber security class. we captured the code from my key fob from my driveway and she opened the car door and started my jeep. Worked on my golf as well. I did not even have to press anything on my key fob.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
They were up to no good. If you can afford it, I recommend moving. I know crime happens everywhere bu what you described doesn’t happen everywhere.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
They were up to no good. If you can afford it, I recommend moving. I know crime happens everywhere bu what you described doesn’t happen everywhere.
Studies show most car accidents happen within 5 miles of home, so move more than 5 miles away.

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
I know this sounds crazy, but I verified it with my service manager.

If you have a FOB it's very easy for someone to steal your car. Turns out the FOB is always on and always pinging, looking for its parent object, your Jeep. That ping has a range of 100 feet or so. So here is what can happen. There are electronic devices out there used by organized crime folks who just drive around looking for these signals. These devices can detect that ping from your FOB. Once the bad guys zero in on that ping they can simulate it, replicate the code it's sending and from their device simulate YOUR FOB, send a signal to your jeep that not only opens it, but also start your jeep. Once this happens your Jeep is on it's way to a shipping crate for an out of country adventure, never to return.

How to fight this.
1. Keep your Jeep in a secure garage.
or
2. Keep your FOB in a faraday cage when you are at home. This blocks the signal from the fob so it can't be detected or decoded.
OR
3. Take the battery out of your fob when you are at home.
OR
4. Keep the FOB in a safe when you are at home.
OR
5. Keep the FOB as far away from your vehicle as you can.
Sponsored