Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's almost funny - that bracket, if it's the one I am thinking of, should HELP, not hurt, such a situation. How could that be involved?
How could a beefier or better track bar be involved?
Sponsored

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That's almost funny - that bracket, if it's the one I am thinking of, should HELP, not hurt, such a situation. How could that be involved?
How could a beefier or better track bar be involved?
Exactly - every after item they listed has made my Jeep steer and track better (ok maybe the tires add a little strain but BFG KO2 35x12.5 aren't much bigger than stock Falkens). I have zero wandering issues and drives straight as an arrow wherever you point it...just this dang dead spot (that they acknowledged).

baronraymundo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, 2021 GC Limited X
I am definitely going to pay closer attention next time I drive to work. I noticed the same thing when I initially got it on the highway but attributed it to being "a jeep thing". I have an Overland with the stock 32" Dueler's and it was hard to keep center. I only have my old 2000 xj to compare it to and it didn't exactly have tight steering. Definitely going to keep following this. Anyone in South Carolina having similar issues and want to compare?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
As an fyi, vehicles are shipped from factory with high pressure. Dealer should of reduced it to the placard rating during prep. But before signing for a new vehicle everyone should use the pre-delivery checklist in the Ordering forum, including checking tire pressure and going for a tesf drive in city and on highway before signing. Also check for scratches or other cosmetic issues before signing. If you drive off the lot without documenting them you own them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
HAHA - really? Anyone here have their dealer actually lower the pressure to the stated amount Jeep says?
So, mine came to me with ~42 psi, I lowered it to about 37-38 (weather variable here)
Then I had a tire shop put on the Rubicon take-offs I bought - and THEY upped the pressure in those to over 40. (it was winter, snow and ice, my shop was full, so I had a shop do the swap)
This last week, I took the dealer my original Overland tires with wheels, still sitting at about 36, to have them swap off the Rubicon tires for summer as part of the "tire rotation" - hey, it was free.
I get the truck and they have inflated the Overland tires back up to 41!
Tire stores, dealers, they all put JT tires, Rubicon, Overland, whatever, to 41 psi.
Why do they keep upping the pressure from the stick or recommended amount by the tire COMPANIES to 41? What's so magic about the number 41?
That's two places that have done that to me - with two different size and brand tires, upping the pressure to 41. You feel every little pebble or pavement crack on the road.
The door sticker clearly says 38 front, 38 rear. Granted 41 or 42 isn't grossly over-inflated, but still, it's over the recommendation so that when you hit the road and the temp rises (like to our temp today, about 100) then they are way up there.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Mine drives a lot better and the steering feels better with 35 psi, vs 38. I do have E Load tires though and my steering box was replaced under warranty at 3k miles. It was bad on the hwy before. Especially, on windy days.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
HAHA - really? Anyone here have their dealer actually lower the pressure to the stated amount Jeep says?
So, mine came to me with ~42 psi, I lowered it to about 37-38 (weather variable here)
Then I had a tire shop put on the Rubicon take-offs I bought - and THEY upped the pressure in those to over 40. (it was winter, snow and ice, my shop was full, so I had a shop do the swap)
This last week, I took the dealer my original Overland tires with wheels, still sitting at about 36, to have them swap off the Rubicon tires for summer as part of the "tire rotation" - hey, it was free.
I get the truck and they have inflated the Overland tires back up to 41!
Tire stores, dealers, they all put JT tires, Rubicon, Overland, whatever, to 41 psi.
Why do they keep upping the pressure from the stick or recommended amount by the tire COMPANIES to 41? What's so magic about the number 41?
That's two places that have done that to me - with two different size and brand tires, upping the pressure to 41. You feel every little pebble or pavement crack on the road.
The door sticker clearly says 38 front, 38 rear. Granted 41 or 42 isn't grossly over-inflated, but still, it's over the recommendation so that when you hit the road and the temp rises (like to our temp today, about 100) then they are way up there.
Forgot to check mine. Back right was at 47 PSI! It felt crazy driving it home, it was super windy that day and this is my first Jeep and truck. I was all over the highway and remembered to look at the PSI at home and leaked it out a bit. Kept it up a little since it was winter and the pressure would go down once they cooled down again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, one does have to watch for weather - but if I recall correctly, their cold pressure spec is something like 70 degrees to the plus of 0 - not 38 at zero degrees.
I know it's going to read a bit high today because even just sitting, the air is 100 degrees (I forget the forumula, takes into account the volume of air in the tire based on size, and the pressure differentials at each temp)
It's cool in their shop - maybe mid to upper 70s, so they should set it at least very close to the sticker number. I'll never understand why these shops - even the tire shop I used, insists on crazy high pressures. I want safety, tire life, and pavement grip, not feeling every fly I run over.
You'd think a tire shop, in the business of selling tires, not gas, not cars, would at least follow the tire makers recommendations.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I try to leave tires 1 or 2 PSI within correct pressure before starting out, no matter how cold or warm it is. Usually take air out in summer, add in winter.

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Mine drives a lot better and the steering feels better with 35 psi, vs 38. I do have E Load tires though and my steering box was replaced under warranty at 3k miles. It was bad on the hwy before. Especially, on windy days.
How’s the new box holding up? Are you happy with it? Is it worth fighting for?

Sponsored

Ace310

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I picked up my new Sport S gladiator Tuesday. Started driving it home noticed the same steering issue. Very loose and easy 1-2 inches of play. Called the dealership they told me bring it back. Service manager took it out and said he definitely noticed the issue and replaced the steering stabilizer. Told me for the JL he used to just put the Fox steering stabilizer in and that helped out a lot but FCA stopped paying for them so he just replaced the stock one. Also said that it could be because I still had the stock sport tires on it and bigger tires could help. Drove it home and issue still there. Put 35s on two days later and issue is still there. He said not to worry because they will get it fixed if those two things didn’t help so we are going to see because I’ll be calling tomorrow.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
How’s the new box holding up? Are you happy with it? Is it worth fighting for?
Yeah. It’s a big difference. It’s only been a few thousand miles, but the steering feels the same now as after they fixed it. I just happened to get a faulty one. And there wasn’t a fight by the way. I just said it’s dangerous on the hwy and I’ve had other solid front axle Jeeps and this isn’t normal. The shop foreman drove it on the hwy and noted that it was “very loose” and ordered a new steering box for me.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
My Overland went from dream vehicle to fear of death vehicle after some SoCal highway driving. On my maiden Voyage from dealer to home, I had to take the grapevine, literally thought the truck was taking me, my man and our 15 year old son off the side of a mountain AFTER of course being smashed between a few of the numerous semis traveling the road! With a crosswind I couldn’t center the truck in a freaking lane, he’ll two lanes would have been tough...it was one oversteering debacle after another, it would catch a wi d, truck would move quickly right if left, no grab in steering wheel for 2-3” off center, then it would grab, wind would be blocked as 18 wheeler passed me and steering debacle would happen again...it was exhausting and terrifying!

Took it to dealer once I could get an appointment, had begun on freeway a few times between maiden voyage and dealer visit...they told me it was all good. Normal Jeep steering and yet according to mileage and what service guy said they didn’t take it on the highway, just around the block...duh...!!

what to do at this point, I love my JT on small in town drives, I dread going anywhere I really want to go...beach, mountains, hikes, off-roading, sure it’s great when I get there but the highway ride is risking my life!

Hmm, was there a 2" lift when you purchased it? Bigger tires? I would find out who did the lift and if there was a wheel alignment performed? I had mine stock and it drove well, put the 2" lift on, it drove well. Added JL Rubicon tirs and it pulled hard to the left. Had the dealer rebalance and was good again. I know the dealer sent the truck to a 4 wheel place after the lift to have the alignment done. Good Luck!

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Yeah. It’s a big difference. It’s only been a few thousand miles, but the steering feels the same now as after they fixed it. I just happened to get a faulty one. And there wasn’t a fight by the way. I just said it’s dangerous on the hwy and I’ve had other solid front axle Jeeps and this isn’t normal. The shop foreman drove it on the hwy and noted that it was “very loose” and ordered a new steering box for me.
I’m taking mine in tomorrow. I just bought it and feel very unsafe on the highway. I have driven plenty of Jeeps and this one definitely has an issue. Hoping they will fix it. I am going to insist they drive it on the interstate and not just around town.

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
I’m taking mine in tomorrow. I just bought it and feel very unsafe on the highway. I have driven plenty of Jeeps and this one definitely has an issue. Hoping they will fix it. I am going to insist they drive it on the interstate and not just around town.
Did that fix your issue with the steering?
Sponsored