Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Taiwan SemiConductor has most of the market. This is a good explanation video.

That's the most comprehensive explanation I've seen to date.
What people forget is that semiconductors are grown, not made. You don't take a roll of copper and stamp them out. They are layers and "grown" at the atomic level. That's grossly over-simplifying it, but if you consider millions of transistors on something the size of your pinky finger nail, plus other components as well, and the fact that they operate so very fast that even the shape of the paths inside have an impact (Apple found this years ago)

I have to suspect the mega-players in the auto field may have acted like Americans did over a year ago when TP disappeared of the shelves and truck driver friends talked of their cargo shifting to bottled water because people were freaking out over possible contaminated drinking water. It was fear driven - I better get mine now before the next guy, me first!

But that video really covers a lot of aspects of the whole thing, pretty well researched.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
As slimy as the process can be, this really makes me feel bad for the workers at local dealerships. Drove by a pretty massive Chevy dealer yesterday and they had basically corralled the wagons (well, silverados, colorados, and not much else) around the edge of the lot, but that place was e m p t y.

PancakeCritter

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Occupation
Engineer
I had a few Jeep salesmen try to tell me ordering would take several months. Yet....the Jeep chat rep specifically told me the Gladiator assembly plant is not currently impacted by the chip shortage. 8 days after I ordered, the truck was built and in inspection already.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Technically they are. People's Republic of China.

:like::giggle:
Not according to them - and officially as a nation, we've stayed away from affirming their independence. Don't tell the Taiwanese they are part of China. They have their own president and military.
PRC rules only Mainland China and has no control of but claims Taiwan as part of its territory under its "One China Principle". But they are not in control or Taiwan in any real way.
When you do business with Taiwan you are not doing business with China.
No trade agreements or trade restrictions that apply to China apply to Taiwan.

Only China's "constitution" says that Taiwan is part of China so if you consider that - it is - in writing but little else.

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Maybe he meant to say "Republic of China" or ROC?

Sort of like the difference between N/S Korea - "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" vs. "Republic of Korea".

The more times they mention people or democracy - be wary.

The things that salespeople say off the cuff are hilarious. I would have loved to have seen their face when the car hauler drove by :) Of course they aren't in the loop as to when the next delivery is going to arrive or what's on it - but they'll pretend anyway.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Not according to them - and officially as a nation, we've stayed away from affirming their independence. Don't tell the Taiwanese they are part of China. They have their own president and military.
PRC rules only Mainland China and has no control of but claims Taiwan as part of its territory under its "One China Principle". But they are not in control or Taiwan in any real way.
When you do business with Taiwan you are not doing business with China.
No trade agreements or trade restrictions that apply to China apply to Taiwan.

Only China's "constitution" says that Taiwan is part of China so if you consider that - it is - in writing but little else.
Maybe he meant to say "Republic of China" or ROC?

Sort of like the difference between N/S Korea - "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" vs. "Republic of Korea".

The more times they mention people or democracy - be wary.

The things that salespeople say off the cuff are hilarious. I would have loved to have seen their face when the car hauler drove by :) Of course they aren't in the loop as to when the next delivery is going to arrive or what's on it - but they'll pretend anyway.
I did mean ROC. Got so excited with my cleverness this morning I tripped over my own Americanness and confused the two... because it doesn't really matter. /s

;)

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
A couple of weeks ago when we were shopping for a car for my wife we stopped by a local Toyota dealership to look at their Highlanders. This is a HUGE dealership - largest Toyota dealer in the state - and even they had cars parked sideways in every other (or every third) spot, and some of the parked cars weren't even models for sale. They were parking already sold (but not yet delivered) vehicles to try and fill up space, as the new inventory alone was too sparse for their lot.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
the actual chip making, yes. but someone has to turn the machine on, someone has to box all the made parts, someone has to print a shipping label, someone has to schedule a pickup, someone has to drive the shipment, etc., etc.

There's an echo of lead time.
Someone better get the hell at it.

Sponsored

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
The more concerning issue is raised is what happens to the world chip supply chain when China takes over Taiwan. John Cenna just had to issue an apology to China for calling Taiwan a country.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The more concerning issue is raised is what happens to the world chip supply chain when China takes over Taiwan. John Cenna just had to issue an apology to China for calling Taiwan a country.
What happens is the world takes it in the shorts.

This whole JIT economy and offshoring has too many single points of failure. I work in aviation manufacturing and we have too many suppliers that are the only source for a particular item and their sub suppliers are in the same boat. This creates the incentive for counterfeit components to creep into product

Paul DR

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited edition
Occupation
Counsellor
Ordered my Sarge Green Willy's in early February, received my window sticker in mid-April, Found out in May that my build is listed as "D". Not sure what that truly means, but I am being told by the dealer end of July. It has been a long long wait.

Pdd

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’m in AZ too. Dealers can’t keep JL’s on the lot, they go so fast, especially Rubicon. As for the Gladiators, there are a ton of them. Dealer said they just aren’t selling well. Huge discounts. So, I went home with a new $60K stickered Mojave for $49,500.
if you dont mind, which dealer was it?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I’m in AZ too. Dealers can’t keep JL’s on the lot, they go so fast, especially Rubicon. As for the Gladiators, there are a ton of them. Dealer said they just aren’t selling well. Huge discounts. So, I went home with a new $60K stickered Mojave for $49,500.
The other day I noticed that Jim Click Jeep's satellite lot (behind the Ford dealership) is completely empty. It usually has probably 150ish Wranglers and SUVs in it. To your point, I looked at both Tucson dealers' inventory online recently and there's more Gladiators in stock than I've ever seen.
Sponsored