Sponsored

Mall Crawler, Rock Crawler, or just crawling?

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't going to be a poll or anything, but all you other first-time Jeep owners, of which I am, isn't anyone else unable to fulfill your dreams of modding your rig because the money ain't there? Bless you guys that can do it, but after buying mine, and buying a few minor things, I'm dying here. I would love a lift and new tires but this ain't a poor man's game.

All of you who can buy a new Jeep and then drop another 10 grand instantly into mods, I'm so jealous. I love your mods. I'll just be putting around with my stock old man's Jeep, which has become the unofficial nickname for the Overland.

Not sure if this was a soapbox, or a hickory stump moment, or just me giving you guys a wishful thumbs up for all that you do. Either way, let me in on the funding secret. Ha!
Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
speaking for myself, my last truck took some time to build.. kept it 15yrs. thats 10yrs no paymnt and being older now, money is not as tight as it was in my 30's! Im good with calling this "my mid life crisis toy", after 2020 bullshit (which we all have had a difficult time) of a yr personally Im gonna do what I want, when I want with no second thoughts! not eveyone lives to be old and retired, DO IT NOW, RIGHT NOW! tomorrow is not promised

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Don't worry about the mods. Get out there and push what you got and find the limits. What you need will come as you need it.

Or to put it another way, what do you want to spend your weekend doing? Oh man guys, I'd love to go out to the lake with you and have some fun but I've got all this greebling I have to bolt onto my jeep to let everyone know how much fun I have! The trees don't care how much money you spent to make it wheel "better" and the ocean eats everything you feed it, regardless of how much money you gave fab fours.

Mud smears, pinstripes and dings speak to having a lot more fun that wheels you need to polish and rock rails that look waxed.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
When we started going on adventures it was in a first gen Ridgeline, which isn't exactly an off-road vehicle. We got really stuck once, which was a little stressful at the time but now is a great memory. I didn't have the money back then for a serious rig, but I'm so happy that we went out there with what was available and had fun. Don't fall into the trap of always being in the prep phase upgrading your truck and miss out on the experiences.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea the costs add up quickly depending on what you want to do, even the little $10-$15 accessories will add up to a few hundred bucks if you let it. Take your time, it's not a race. Your truck is plenty capable as-is. Oh and hit the member marketplace, lots of good buys put there and easy to make sales too.

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I weirdly have very little desire to modify mine. When I got my TJ the first things it got were a lift, wheels, and tires but the JT....I just enjoy it. I don't get off road much and I use it as a truck to move large loads (towing a new toy home this weekend), nothing that I need it to be bigger for. 33s look great on it and everyone I know can get in without steps. Load height is already taller than I want it for some things.

I love the look with a lift and 37s but it would all be a waste for me. Also I have other things that require monetary attention.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m in the same boat as you OP. This is my first Jeep and it’s taking all my will power not to drop 5k on lift and tires. The good and bad is my wife is on board with whatever I’d want to do with it. But there’s a dang kitchen and bathroom that needs updating more than wheels on a brand new truck lol. Adulting sucks. :)

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You should consider downsizing your house, stripping/hooking or if you have more than one kid, sell the one that's least likely get a scholarship to college...2 birds with 1 stone.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You should consider downsizing your house, stripping/hooking or if you have more than one kid, sell the one that's least likely get a scholarship to college...2 birds with 1 stone.
Like a new and more aggressive & reductionist form of overlanding where you live in your gladiator, bathe in gas station bathrooms and get by on only what is available at 7-11?

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
could be like me and do a poor mans build. Most of all I have done so far I found super cheap second hand. You just gotta be consistent with looking to find them. Not all of us have lives of luxury, but I am beyond blessed with what I do have.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Fun costs money? Who came up with that formula?

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Mine is slow going on the mods, as mine came from the dealer it's able to do most every thing I will ever do. Mainly riding on the beach a few trails. My 06 TJ is fairly well modified, and I never really need most of the mods. The 3" lift is nice, like my bumpers and winch, but they are a want not a need. I will do a bumper and winch this summer after I save the money. I have money cut out of my check and placed in savings that I save for improvements.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Lots of good advice here (especially from @Lynn_F).

The Jeep life is more than mods; get out and enjoy it. My JK was a build over many years because I made less money at the time and had more important priorities (like food and shelter) to spend what little I had. Eventually you will find yourself in a position where you have fewer bills and bigger paycheques. Until then, be responsible with your resources and don’t get caught up with the hype trying to keep up with the Jeep Joneses...there will ALWAYS be someone with a nicer rig, or another upgrade you will covet. It’s so much cheaper to watch others spend their money, which is a big part of the forum I quite enjoy! Costs me nothing. Use those builds as inspiration, not as standards you need to reach.

BTW, we’re Jeep owners: we’re all broke! :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Take this from someone who has owned 9 Jeeps: take your time and enjoy they journey.

I made the mistake of lifting and putting 35” tires on my prior JKUR Recon right away. I hated it; it drove like a freaking tractor.

This time, I refrained from doing anything major to my JL for the first 12 months: enjoyed the civility of the factory specs, while planning more carefully what to do it. After 13 months of ownership, I gave my JLU a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires. By that point, I knew well what lift, wheels and tires I wanted to get.

I’m very happy with the results. It’ll be awhile until I do anything major to it again. I want to enjoy the new setup for awhile.

Also, keep an open mind and be willing to roll with the punches. My original plan was to turn my Sahara into some sort of Rubicon-inspired, with blacked out grille inserts, large hood decals and 17-inch wheels. But after getting additional ideas from these forums, I am now taking my Jeep in a different direction with retro-inspired wheels and decals. It’s still work in progress on that front.

Good luck.
Sponsored