Manual Transmission Club

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
I ordered on May 31st .... only a week wait so far. I went camping this weekend, both nights I dreamt my Gladiator was delivered over the weekend and ready for pickup when I got back in town. At this rate, it’s going to be a long 3+ months.
My wife and I were out on some mild trails in our Durango this weekend and were constantly talking about how much better the experience would be in the JT. Hopefully we both get our rigs while there's still some great camping weather up in the high country.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bangolia

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
28 days in D and still in it. At the end of the week they can open a case and see what the hold up is.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
28 days in D and still in it. At the end of the week they can open a case and see what the hold up is.
I'm right there with you. Ordered 4/26 or so.

I would like to be the first on this thread to thank everybody else that buys a manual transmission for helping to keep them in existence.

BJV95050

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder 2004 Harley Davidson Softail

I would like to be the first on this thread to thank everybody else that buys a manual transmission for helping to keep them in existence.
Its a millennial theft deterent :like:

OP
OP
bangolia

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU

Sponsored

OP
OP
bangolia

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU

upload_2019-6-10_11-20-34.png

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
Checked today with Jeep Chat: Still in D status, at 34 days now.

Troutman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jkx, 16 jkuhr, 2020 gladiator
i would be willing to bet they are waiting for enough manuals to be ordered before they swap the line over to do a run of manuals.

speedbagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 500EXC
i would be willing to bet they are waiting for enough manuals to be ordered before they swap the line over to do a run of manuals.
modern production lines don't get 'swapped out' for different transmissions....more likely there's a part availability issue (and not necessarily the trans itself--could just be something related to the manual config).

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 VW Thing, 1972 BMW R75/5
I am guessing the driveshaft may be the hold up. Only piece that would be unique to the manual that I can think of.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I ordered my white Rubicon JT with manual on 4/27. VIN issued 5/13. Still in D status as of yesterday.

Good post. I was also wondering if the limited share of manuals would affect delivery time.

For anyone second-guessing their decision to get a manual, i found this article helpful:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-automatic-versus-manual-transmissions.html

I have doubts about that video posted recently on manuals--the guy doing the video seems not to be very experienced with manual. Hard to believe it would stall because the engine is too quiet.
Yeah, while I liked the review and was cool to hear and see the manual running, you could tell he wasn't exactly dyed in the wool. You don't need to hear it, you can feel it in your foot and through your hand, center of your gut. I assume the engine and transmission aren't without any form of vibration. To be fair... maybe they're unbelievably balanced, I am buying one out of blind love of the notion of shifting and haven't driven one.... obviously. None of us here have, although there's probably a share of us that have driven JLs.

The only debate to me, if you love manuals, are the cold hard facts of reduced payload and towing. Resale isn't much of an issue, reduced supply and reduced demand balance nearly enough, at least in a Jeep where there are people like us that want manuals.

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, while I liked the review and was cool to hear and see the manual running, you could tell he wasn't exactly dyed in the wool. You don't need to hear it, you can feel it in your foot and through your hand, center of your gut. I assume the engine and transmission aren't without any form of vibration. To be fair... maybe they're unbelievably balanced, I am buying one out of blind love of the notion of shifting and haven't driven one.... obviously. None of us here have, although there's probably a share of us that have driven JLs.

The only debate to me, if you love manuals, are the cold hard facts of reduced payload and towing. Resale isn't much of an issue, reduced supply and reduced demand balance nearly enough, at least in a Jeep where there are people like us that want manuals.
I do get what the guy in the video was saying though, The jeep clutch may be a tad longer that what he was used to, However I have driven manuals all my life, Usually can feel the clutch catch pretty easy with any vehicle I have owned. I did splurge for the Auto on mine because I am not a fan of the throw distance to shift gears. Its not a bad thing for most people, but for me I didn't care for it.

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I ordered the manual transmission for all the above reasons - and before I test drove.

I gotta tell you, that automatic transmission drove like a dream!

Really still want the MT, but... how long is this going to be held up? I WANT MY TRUCK, dammit.

speedbagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 500EXC
I am guessing the driveshaft may be the hold up. Only piece that would be unique to the manual that I can think of.
engine calibration is likely unique, whatever module controls hill hold is likely unique (brake controller probably), the cluster is unique (on the software side, for no PRNDL display), trans mounts are likely unique. all of the software stuff is probably end of line calibration but the features have to be enabled by the vendors.

could be dynamic (driveline shudder, etc) or quality issues too.

other than that--or if it was planned to stagger launch--there's really no reason manual availability would be delayed.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 VW Thing, 1972 BMW R75/5
I meant unique to the JT manual and not shared with either the JL manual or the JT automatic.
I would think and I could be wrong, but everything from the transmission forward should be the same as the JL including the dash components (oh except for the Off Road + button!!!), calibrations/tuning/control modules and the mechanical bits.
The rear axle should be the same as the automatic JT.

That leaves a rotating chunk of metal in the middle.
Sponsored