Sponsored

Manual Transmission Club

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Dealer/sales manager called. FCA is aware of the issue with D to C status change, But the supply chain manager is on vacation this week, so they won't have any response until Monday at the earliest. I work for a 15-20 million dollar a year company, when someone is on vacation, we don't make customers wait. We cover for them and provide answers. Apparently FCA is not capable of this. Fingers crossed I can provide an update on this come Monday.
I'll be curious what you find out.

And yeah, I can't even conceptualize telling someone "sorry, you have to wait a week". Let alone months.

We run around about 100-150 tractor trailer and triaxle bulk deliveries per day with an average 1 day lead time. That's Order to D1 to JB to KZ to Dealer Lot in a day! ;) Ground up trees and dirt are a little simpler to manufacture, but still...

Probably why I think my being patient for what I thought might turn out to be a worst case 16 week process was being very reasonable. It's looking like 22 to 28 now assuming a 6-12 week build and ship time... if they start mine next week as estimated. :headbang:
Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I have been finding myself wondering if this whole process would have gone any differently if I would have never posted on here or reached out to FCA chat..... If I find out my order was canceled by the plant and I'm starting over, maybe I'll have to test that route. Then again, it's more than likely just a coincidence and I'm not being punished for my involvement. I just have the gift/ability to put together a combination of options that's virtually impossible to build :)
I wouldn't worry much about punishment... they're nowhere near engaged enough with the pulse of their best customers to punish you. Nor reward you. Nor take much of any consideration of you whatsoever. Oblivious is probably the right word.

I'm more inclined to your second theory... we're odd enough birds to choose some abstract combination, and it seems probable that the manual transmission is somehow a separate logic chain in the order/build system. I can't come up with any other explanation when every option I've ordered is out there everywhere on dealer lot automatics, but nowhere to be found on manuals.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Still following. I read the other forum before jumping on here last year. I read with no understanding the threads there of order misery on the latest version of wrangler, JLU. Just didn't know anyone. Did not know the whole backstory. Some of you I've been reading for months on here. Now, I feel awful for you. This is incomprehensible. Not much more to say. Just know this ain't right, how you are being treated is wrong. You all deserve better!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I wouldn't worry much about punishment... they're nowhere near engaged enough with the pulse of their best customers to punish you. Nor reward you. Nor take much of any consideration of you whatsoever. Oblivious is probably the right word.

I'm more inclined to your second theory... we're odd enough birds to choose some abstract combination, and it seems probable that the manual transmission is somehow a separate logic chain in the order/build system. I can't come up with any other explanation when every option I've ordered is out there everywhere on dealer lot automatics, but nowhere to be found on manuals.
The configuration you list in your signature does have a lot of items that have come in and out of parts constraints that has been talked about in the past. Not excusing but I can see how getting everything to gel at once to get your order made would be hampered.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
One more question. Never done any off-roading or rock crawling but started doing some reading up on it given that I've become infatuated with a jeep.

My understanding is with an MT sometimes you start the truck in gear without the clutch to slowly crawl over stuff utilizing the starter. Sounds like BS to me but I've seen it in plenty places so I assume it's true. How does that work with push button start where you need to depress the clutch to start the vehicle?

My old CJs would do this but I don't believe that the Gladiator or any other Jeep from the factory back to the TJs would be capable of this. To much computer controlled safety

Sponsored

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Question for the manual orders, are you guys planning on running 35s or 37s? Any plans to regear? My one fear with my manual is having to regear which I may be able to get away with not doing in an 8 speed. I really want 37s, wish the transmission still had the JK ratios.

AlwaysRecord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT/MT Rubicon.
This marks the end of week 17 for me. Dealership says it’s being bounced around from shipping yard to shipping yard. I thought I’d be in this thing last week. Now I’m about to leave for a 12 day vacation on Tuesday - 100% chance it lands while I’m away!!:facepalm:

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Finally hit KZ today! No shipment ETA yet, according to Chat. Will text my salesman and get more info. Good lord, I hope I am Jeeping this time next week. I'm only 2 hours from the factory...

chickencalada

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, '13 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Context: I was told by Jeep Chat on 8/12 that I was in D1. Subsequent Jeep Chats, however, reported that I was in D (one even claimed I was in C). A regression that is at this point not at all surprising to any of us.

New information: Today I contacted my dealer and it was reported that I have an estimated ship date of 8/27. He then told me he would send me the POC (Priced Order Confirmation) form by which this information was based. On this form it does indeed include the date reported. Yet--YET--on this same form it reports the status as 'C - Tentative schedule'.

What in the good god hell am I to make of this? I have a ship date! This is splendid news, the best progress I have yet heard about my specific order. YET AT THE SAME TIME I HAVE A STATUS THAT SEEMINGLY CONTRADICTS THE VERY NOTION OF HAVING AN ASSOCIATED DATE OF ANY KIND! Truly, I have no idea if I should be amped or angry.
Regarding my above previous post: I talked to a particularly adept Jeep Chat representative yesterday (I actually say that without cynicism, he did not strike me as clueless, robotic, or full of shit), and he said the information in the POC form regarding the ship date is the product of an algorithm, not human intervention. Thus, he said, it is not reported by Jeep Chat reps because it is known to be misleading. This is all to say that I'm merely in C, no more. He did say that C status is typically reserved for those without a VIN, but, demonstrably, this is not always the case. My worry there was that I may had undergone a surreptitious re-order like @Troutman (sorry, buddy). It does not seem to be the case, because my VIN still stands.

So, kids, there is no good news to be gleaned. There is only the void from which no actionable, trustworthy information escapes.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The configuration you list in your signature does have a lot of items that have come in and out of parts constraints that has been talked about in the past. Not excusing but I can see how getting everything to gel at once to get your order made would be hampered.
I agree it's a more optioned order, but do a little snooping. There are a ton of highly optioned automatics. None in manuals. I tried.

I used the Jeep vehicle locator using most of the major metropolitan areas of the northeast US zip codes as a center trying to find what I want, or something very close to get my dealer to do a trade rather than keep waiting. Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Buffalo, DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, probably a few others. Not one.

What I want, granted in white and automatic, is sitting 8 miles from me. Within 150 miles of the dealer I ordered from there are about 100 close to what I want auto Rubicons. Never mind all the ones that already flowed through and were purchased and gone.

Those 100 Rubicons have many times over all the parts needed for my build, and for the others still waiting or already moved on. They chose not to build it, not because they're picking on us, but because of some predetermined strategy.

It's that strategy that gets my goat. And that's by far the smaller issue. If I'd have had someone look into it, give me a real answer and an honest timeline, or the option to change my order removing the missing parts to get it built quicker, I'd have been happy. Not only did they not do that on their own, I've been asking those questions since the end of June when it started to become obvious it wouldn't be built and shipped when I hoped. I got canned chat answers and escalation to canned email answers that completely ignored the questions I asked. @JeepCares was more genial and helpful, but ultimately didn't have access to a lot more info than Chat or Jeff.

Basically, I was told to sit and wait and we'll get around to you when we feel like it. I can't accept that.

There's a new restaurant you were really excited to eat at. Sit 4 hours watching table after table get their food, while the waiter only tells you "Thank you for your patience as we launch this exciting new menu", when he could have said, "We're having trouble with the coleslaw and carrots. If you drop the coleslaw and carrots, I can get it right out to you".

In this case, I got fed up, peeked in the kitchen, and found that chicken and fish orders are going out, and getting coleslaw and carrots, but not steak orders.

In this case, they've now told me "we'll probably get around to you the week of the 26th". Ok, I say grudgingly, I was really excited to eat here.

In this case, if I don't get my food by the week of the 26th, I'm out.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Question for the manual orders, are you guys planning on running 35s or 37s? Any plans to regear? My one fear with my manual is having to regear which I may be able to get away with not doing in an 8 speed. I really want 37s, wish the transmission still had the JK ratios.
I've had the Mopar kit and BFG KM3 37s sitting at the dealer for months. My hope is that the Rubi 4.10s and lower first gear of the JT manual and the obvious ability to control shift points will make it do just fine. In my mind the new ratios are better, lower first and higher 6th. More range. If you're ok with the JK ratios, the new 5th is the old 6th. Just have to run the gears in between a little different.

I have no expectation of it being a sports car, it just has to go down the road adequately.

The 37s are for loader ruts and logging roads and bulldozer paths that won't see much more than 1st or 2nd gear anyways.

Granted, as I might have mentioned a time or two, I don't have mine to report in the field. :brokenhearted:

Troutman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jkx, 16 jkuhr, 2020 gladiator
Regarding my above previous post: I talked to a particularly adept Jeep Chat representative yesterday (I actually say that without cynicism, he did not strike me as clueless, robotic, or full of shit), and he said the information in the POC form regarding the ship date is the product of an algorithm, not human intervention. Thus, he said, it is not reported by Jeep Chat reps because it is known to be misleading. This is all to say that I'm merely in C, no more. He did say that C status is typically reserved for those without a VIN, but, demonstrably, this is not always the case. My worry there was that I may had undergone a surreptitious re-order like @Troutman (sorry, buddy). It does not seem to be the case, because my VIN still stands.

So, kids, there is no good news to be gleaned. There is only the void from which no actionable, trustworthy information escapes.
When it happened to me my VIN did not change at all, ultimately i was not going to wait another 10-12 weeks. I bought a auto off the lot had all my option minus floor mats (oh no lol) I put 35" Ko2's on it with my black rhino rims and it is great. I love it. its just not the stick

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 09 G8, 06 Ram 2500, 83 CJ7, 68 Firebird
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Coming from someone that runs 35's on a JKUR 6-speed. That's the limit of usable tire size without regearing in my opinion. I keep hearing the 6th gear is higher than the JKU's and the new 5th is the old 6th. 6th gear in my JKUR with 35's is NOT capable of accelerating at a rate to make a "pass" on the highway in a reasonable distance/time. So i'm afraid it will be worse with the Gladiator. Load the thing up or have something behind it and 6th will be completely useless, unless you can find a way to get to 110MPH. I'm afraid 5th will be the same (since its the same as the old 6th). This is really my ONLY concern (once I receive it) with the usability and the ONLY reason I have kicked around an auto I've I'm infamously included in the "re-order" fiasco.

I will tell you that I have a few buddies running JKURs with autos who have regeared (4:88s I think) and are running 37's. They are firm believers in the change, for what its worth.

chickencalada

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, '13 Jeep Wrangler Sport
When it happened to me my VIN did not change at all, ultimately i was not going to wait another 10-12 weeks. I bought a auto off the lot had all my option minus floor mats (oh no lol) I put 35" Ko2's on it with my black rhino rims and it is great. I love it. its just not the stick
Well damn. Then I am now worried I could be in that boat. Congrats to you in getting what you got. I am starting to fiddle with the idea of getting a Ram Rebel. I say this with some horror, as I never before contemplated 1) not getting a Jeep, and 2) not getting stick (literally been driving something with stick for over a decade). I also don't like the idea of giving FCA my money with the Rebel. But I do like the V8, the better towing, the not terrible off-roady-ness, and the available options. Even saying this out loud makes me feel like I am giving up.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Look forward to seeing it Trout. Bet it looks great!
Sponsored