First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
After driving the manual for a few days I'm less disappointed in it. You save 2000 getting the manual which should be around what it costs to re-gear. I can't shift into 6th unless I go 15mph over the speed limit. So 5.13s will help immensely I think with acceleration and basically gain access to another gear so mileage and top speed should be unaffected. The 4.10s are fine with me 1-5 though. I bought a 6 speed though so I want to be able to use it.
I have a 2007 Wrangler with the under-powered 3.8 motor. I was able to get the 4.10 gears with the tow package and it ran okay with a manual transmission. Okay. Not great, but would generally do fine. Later, now that I've upgraded to 35s and added much weight (very heavy overlanding rig), I also went to 4.88 gears. Sixth gear is useful in ideal conditions, no wind, flat terrain or headed downhill. However, any significant headwind or uphill and I'm shifting to lower gears. Couple weeks ago, I drove my friend's '12 with the 3.6 and an auto to Helena, MT from OKC. I was very pleased with the significant difference in pep. He still has the 4.10 gears of a Rubi, as well as 33" tires. I am very surprised to read you say that sixth gear is useless unless you're 15 MPH over the speed limit. In my Jeep, I'm turning 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH in sixth gear. I consider that pretty ideal gearing for the highway. I see you're in AK, and realize your speed limits are a bit different, but for the lower 48, I think the 3.6, MT and 4.10 gears should be good on 33s, and even acceptable on 35s. I'll let you know once my Gladiator arrives! ;-)

P.S.--A couple years ago driving my Jeep right past where you live, I had my five day old windshield plastered by a truck carrying gravel. Yeah, I've been all over AK and western Canada with my Jeep--and that other one that I drove to MT. You live in one amazingly beautiful state. If you're interested, you can find the video series on YouTube DigitalByDoiron, Mark and Ray's Al-Can Adventure.
Image1.jpg
Sponsored

hawkijon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Clear JTR/'15 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ '78 Jeep CJ-5/'69 Chevelle
Now thats what im talking about!! thanks for the info... As a flatlander i think im going to stay with the stick. OK, aside the shallow 1-4 gear spread, how about the 4-LOW range? Any of yall tackled/crawled any obstacles yet?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Now thats what im talking about!! thanks for the info... As a flatlander i think im going to stay with the stick. OK, aside the shallow 1-4 gear spread, how about the 4-LOW range? Any of yall tackled/crawled any obstacles yet?
Are you rock crawling or overlanding (or whatever else)? I'm primarily an overlander with a 2007 X (Sport equivalent) Wrangler. I find the 2.72 transfer case just fine. Sometimes in overlanding we're doing into the mid-twenties on certain roads. Unless we have someone in a Rubi with us. Then we need to slow down because of its 4.0 ratio. My Gladiator will be a Rubi, but I really wish I could get that 2.72 transfer case. Or, better yet, a three speed. But, to be clear, I've put 263,000 miles on my Wrangler all over North America, including multiple trips to Moab doing some actual crawling, and never have I felt the gearing was too high. Unless you're getting into some truly serious rock crawling (more challenging than difficult-rated trails like Fins and Things, and Poison Spider Mesa), you may well find yourself feeling the same way. And, if you're overlanding, well, there's always 4WD high, although shifting back and forth between the two is a nuisance.

Here's a sample of a Rubi with an X and a Sport. (1:39 if not forwarded) ...

hawkijon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you rock crawling or overlanding (or whatever else)? I'm primarily an overlander with a 2007 X (Sport equivalent) Wrangler. I find the 2.72 transfer case just fine. Sometimes in overlanding we're doing into the mid-twenties on certain roads. Unless we have someone in a Rubi with us. Then we need to slow down because of its 4.0 ratio. My Gladiator will be a Rubi, but I really wish I could get that 2.72 transfer case. Or, better yet, a three speed. But, to be clear, I've put 263,000 miles on my Wrangler all over North America, including multiple trips to Moab doing some actual crawling, and never have I felt the gearing was too high. Unless you're getting into some truly serious rock crawling (more challenging than difficult-rated trails like Fins and Things, and Poison Spider Mesa), you may well find yourself feeling the same way. And, if you're overlanding, well, there's always 4WD high, although shifting back and forth between the two is a nuisance.

Here's a sample of a Rubi with an X and a Sport. (1:39 if not forwarded) ...
This is fantastic information, and yes, primarily overlanding with the expectation of inevitable encounters of crawling situations when they present themselves on trails. I will say "fins and things" is on my list of trails i would like to do, but just wanted to know if anyone out there overlanding/offroading their JTR manual is satisfied or wish they had spent the extra 2k for the auto. Thanks again for your valued information. You just got a YouTube follower as well.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
With my factory set up I require a downshift to 4th to maintain speed on the highway with a grade up hill. 6th and 5th are only good for flat spots and downhills. It's like it was geared for the 4cyl turbo with torque down low in the rev range. I test drove a rubi with a manual and there was not much difference with the 4.1 rear gear. Anyone who is considering a manual gladiator should take it on an extended test drive to see if they can live with it. I'm getting used to it but it's not ideal, especially for the hilly terrain where I live. I'm sure it would be great in Florida.

Sponsored

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 09 G8, 06 Ram 2500, 83 CJ7, 68 Firebird
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
As I promised, I'm continuing to read through this forum (M/T) and I'm still a little torn on the A/T vs M/T decision, but will provide my input based on bailing on my M/T order and buying an A/T a month ago. Keep in mind I am coming from a 2015 6-speed M/T JKUR with 35" tires, so I have recent experience with a M/T and the 3.6 Pentastar, 4:10s, etc.

The recent posts on gearing for the M/T Gladiator are exactly what I was worried about. With the new 5th gearing being the old 6th gear, I was convinced 6th would be useless. Given the towing I did do with my JKUR, I knew that 5th gear on the Gladiator would be worthless (the JKUR wouldn't hold highway speeds with ANYTHING behind it in 6th, barely in 5th). I agree with others that this was a complete miss by FCA in terms of useful gearing, RPM range, etc. I do think that regearing would help, but it will absolutely kill the mileage as the only way I see an improvement is to increase the RPM range in which you are "working".

As far as the A/T. I definitely feel it has more power from a SOP perspective. It's smooth, down shifts a lot faster than I ever could, but at just over 1300 miles, there is one (1) complaint. With 315 tires (34.5") cruising 55-65 MPH, it hunts between 7th and 8th gear. It doesn't hunt with a tail wind and hunts more with a head wind. I can "feel" it shift/surge, but I'm also willing to bet if I turn off the gear display (1 thru 8) on the screen, I'd notice it less. I'm learning to give up "control" and accept it, but I'm hopeful I can do something to eliminate this in the future.

I absolutely LOVE the vehicle. My two (2) year old says Jeep Truck 200+ times a day. He no longer wakes up yelling "daddy", now its "Jeep truck!". Gotta love his enthusiasm! Whichever version you choose, the good will outweigh any bad you experience, I can promise you that.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
20190922_134704-jpg.jpg
20190922_134732-jpg.jpg
20190922_134828-jpg.jpg

Don't have a ton of time in on it, but first impressions are about what I expected. Had a good bit of highway coming home, 6 on flat and downhill, 5 handled moderate uphills, 4 for steeper highway uphill. I think it did pretty well, actually a bit better than expected, but really about what I thought. I don't expect it to have pickup in the OD gears, I'll downshift for that... just needs to sail. After Tazer-ing for tires at 36.5, I'm babying it around at about 17mpg. Not bad.

I'm actually struggling more with the gap between 2nd and 3rd. I tend to run up to 2500 or so and shift, and at 2500, 3rd isn't ready for the speed. I have to relearn to run 2nd to 3000. Which I do by feel of course, but I've been looking a bit to see what it's doing. Same downshifting, drop down through 4 and 3, then to 2 and VROOOOOOOOM. Hard habit to break. Say you're making a square left or right turn... it's ready for 2nd right as you cut the wheel, not before.

It's getting better as I learn it, just a brain retrain from manuals of the past. Clutch is light and the engagement isn't sharp, but I'm getting the feel. There's nothing hard about it, it's just different, and when you're in the groove it's real smooth.

I think it's a joy on back roads and such, rides and handles great, steering is good (for a rolling straight axle brick lifted with 37s), and at those speeds the high gears aren't needed, you're just 2 3 4, up and down. Having a blast with that. I even think it leans into corners well, in the way that lifted trucks on 37s do! It's fun to feel it tilt a bit then hunker down on the springs and stay there.

All in all, I'm super pleased.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
20190922_134704-jpg.jpg
20190922_134732-jpg.jpg
20190922_134828-jpg.jpg

Don't have a ton of time in on it, but first impressions are about what I expected. Had a good bit of highway coming home, 6 on flat and downhill, 5 handled moderate uphills, 4 for steeper highway uphill. I think it did pretty well, actually a bit better than expected, but really about what I thought. I don't expect it to have pickup in the OD gears, I'll downshift for that... just needs to sail. After Tazer-ing for tires at 36.5, I'm babying it around at about 17mpg. Not bad.

I'm actually struggling more with the gap between 2nd and 3rd. I tend to run up to 2500 or so and shift, and at 2500, 3rd isn't ready for the speed. I have to relearn to run 2nd to 3000. Which I do by feel of course, but I've been looking a bit to see what it's doing. Same downshifting, drop down through 4 and 3, then to 2 and VROOOOOOOOM. Hard habit to break. Say you're making a square left or right turn... it's ready for 2nd right as you cut the wheel, not before.

It's getting better as I learn it, just a brain retrain from manuals of the past. Clutch is light and the engagement isn't sharp, but I'm getting the feel. There's nothing hard about it, it's just different, and when you're in the groove it's real smooth.

I think it's a joy on back roads and such, rides and handles great, steering is good (for a rolling straight axle brick lifted with 37s), and at those speeds the high gears aren't needed, you're just 2 3 4, up and down. Having a blast with that. I even think it leans into corners well, in the way that lifted trucks on 37s do! It's fun to feel it tilt a bit then hunker down on the springs and stay there.

Coming from a V10 Super Duty with a 5-speed manual, I had to treat it like it was a 3-speed, with first being granny low, and 5th only for highway cruising speed. I pick mine up Saturday, and sounds like I should drive this one like a 4-speed mostly. I'll have an 800 mile road trip home through South Dakota, seeing the Badlands and Mount Rushmore, so I'll have a pretty good idea how it does on the highway, with a headwind.

ScuderiaJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500 WRX 2CV Real MINI
I agree with Chrcal14 the 2-3 spread is far too wide.
Feels like to me they should have lowered 3,4,5,6 all down about 10%
All in all it is livable are far more fun than a "rottenmagic" to drive

Troutman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jkx, 16 jkuhr, 2020 gladiator
From reading all the reviews on the 6 speed here I am kind of glad I ended up getting the auto, the gearing issues would have pissed my wife off and I would have never heard the end of it lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Coming from a V10 Super Duty with a 5-speed manual, I had to treat it like it was a 3-speed, with first being granny low, and 5th only for highway cruising speed. I pick mine up Saturday, and sounds like I should drive this one like a 4-speed mostly. I'll have an 800 mile road trip home through South Dakota, seeing the Badlands and Mount Rushmore, so I'll have a pretty good idea how it does on the highway, with a headwind.
That's pretty spot on from what I've seen. I do pop into 5th for easy flat and downhills at lower speeds. But that's just me playing the MPG game with the dash.

Be interested to hear your take when you get it home. :like:

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I agree with Chrcal14 the 2-3 spread is far too wide.
Feels like to me they should have lowered 3,4,5,6 all down about 10%
All in all it is livable are far more fun than a "rottenmagic" to drive
I don't mind where 6 ended up for highway purposes, and I like the lower 1st gear for idling the clutch out, but yeah, for me I'd have liked 2 through 5 spread a bit more even.

Agree though, livable and probably just a learning curve, and already way more fun!

There's a simple joy of looking at my well appointed interior with great radio and leather seats... and that 6 speed.

hawkijon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20190922_134704-jpg.jpg
20190922_134732-jpg.jpg
20190922_134828-jpg.jpg

Well thats an awesome boost of confidence! Thanks for the post! What did you do with your spare? And speaking of spares, (Some of you owners should be able to answer this). I assume the wheel for the full size spare is just a steel pizza dish, but is the spare tire the same type/brand as the other 4 mounted on the truck, or is it a standard tire that is the same size as the other 4 tires? i.e. the truck receives (5) falken wildpeak M/T's on 4 stock wheels and 1 steel spare?

Last edited:

AlwaysRecord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT/MT Rubicon.
Well thats an awesome boost of confidence! Thanks for the post! What did you do with your spare? And speaking of spares, (Some of you owners should be able to answer this). I assume the wheel for the full size spare is just a steel pizza dish, but is the spare tire the same type/brand as the other 4 mounted on the truck, or is it a standard tire that is the same size as the other 4 tires? i.e. the truck receives (5) falken wildpeak M/T's on 4 stock wheels and 1 steel spare?

Correct - the truck receives (5) falken wildpeak M/T's on 4 stock wheels and 1 steel spare.

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
Would have gone manual if it could tow... Such an abomination.
Sponsored