Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I’m no expert but I assumed that was the scoring that folks warn about.
Run your fingernail across the face of the center lobe. Your fingernail should not catch.
If you feel any ridge, it's a problem. The cam lobe is ground edge to edge with no margins.
No matter where you run a fingernail across a cam lobe, base circle or high point or anything in between, going edge to edge there should be nothing to catch your fingernail.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Run your fingernail across the face of the center lobe. Your fingernail should not catch.
If you feel any ridge, it's a problem. The cam lobe is ground edge to edge with no margins.
No matter where you run a fingernail across a cam lobe, base circle or high point or anything in between, going edge to edge there should be nothing to catch your fingernail.
Interesting, nothing seemed to catch. Felt smooth, but there is visible “wear” (not sure if that’s normal).

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Any update on the fuel starving thing? I am still running an older version of the tune that was super stable on my truck, but I will be honest the uneven fuel delivery is a bit unnerving.

My truck still delivers crazy torque at low RPM, so I am rarely above 3K RPM. I doubt I am pushing anywhere near the danger zone.

That said, the early cam lobe wear on Ryan's truck is equally disturbing. I wish there was a way to detect it early and to see if those who have rebuild theirs are having wear problems.

OP
OP

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
No updates. New engine arrives tomorrow. Dropping the JT off Monday. Will be interesting to see the extent of the damage - I have a feeling there is a lot more at the rear or potentially visible once the transmission is removed and flywheel is exposed. Today I discovered these bits of aluminum sitting under the flywheel, where the rubber grommets seal the engine and transmission.

Jeep Gladiator Mark another one dead 45DC0C32-CC58-4C72-A53C-EF63D67E3641

OP
OP

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Ugh. Found a new huge hole next to starter. Unknown if starter motor was damaged. Debating to order a replacement now and get ahead of it in case.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Ugh. Found a new huge hole next to starter. Unknown if starter motor was damaged. Debating to order a replacement now and get ahead of it in case.
Wow. When that thing went it *went*.