Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When I was shopping in October 2019, it was not available in max tow. That's the first thing I was looking at before going with Overland.
It was added as an option later, but in 2019, not available.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, he beat me to it again.........

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Late 2020 the Trac-Loc became standard in Max-Tow package. One of the 3 things I didn't get that I wanted on mine.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I have always thought the Trac Loc should come as standard equipment for all trim models.

Very honestly, I really wish my Mojave had the Trac-Loc instead of the electronic rear locker.
Much more practical for the majority of situations encountered in everyday driving.
Also has the benefit of not having the potential problems associated with the sensor of the locker giving false messages/lights on the dash as they can me known to do.

Sponsored

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Had a 2020 built in 19 did not have it and I dont belive it was avalable. It was standard equipment on my new 22

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Itā€™s kind of surprising the Trac Lok is so popular here. It wasnā€™t very well liked 20 years ago.

I put a Trac Lok in a TJ once when I regeared. I needed a new carrier and it was just under $200 so I figured why not. It was worthless off road and made it easier to fish tail on road.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Itā€™s kind of surprising the Trac Lok is so popular here. It wasnā€™t very well liked 20 years ago.

I put a Trac Lok in a TJ once when I regeared. I needed a new carrier and it was just under $200 so I figured why not. It was worthless off road and made it easier to fish tail on road.
There was only ONE time when my WJ (quadradrive) unintentionally fishtailed HARD on me; was going straight down a snow-packed highway in a blizzard and out of nowhere the back end kicked out to the right, luckily was ready and corrected it but it put us about 45 degrees sideways in less than a second. Outside of that fluke incident, I think with the WJ's full time 4WD system and having the tcase and both axles ready to lock everything up automatically it mitigated a lot of the issues having a sole rear LSD might have.

If I were ordering a new one today, I'd be looking hard for the Selec-TracĀ® Full-Time 4x4 TCase, and then add Eaton TruTraks front and rear. This would mimic as close as possible the quadradrive system of the grand cherokees and be one sweet year-round midwest truck.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
There was only ONE time when my WJ (quadradrive) unintentionally fishtailed HARD on me; was going straight down a snow-packed highway in a blizzard and out of nowhere the back end kicked out to the right, luckily was ready and corrected it but it put us about 45 degrees sideways in less than a second. Outside of that fluke incident, I think with the WJ's full time 4WD system and having the tcase and both axles ready to lock everything up automatically it mitigated a lot of the issues having a sole rear LSD might have.

If I were ordering a new one today, I'd be looking hard for the Selec-TracĀ® Full-Time 4x4 TCase, and then add Eaton TruTraks front and rear. This would mimic as close as possible the quadradrive system of the grand cherokees and be one sweet year-round midwest truck.
I had an ā€˜02 Grand with Vari Loks and the 4.7. That was a fun Jeep. Those limited slips did perform pretty well.

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I was looking at my 2020ā€™s window sticker and donā€™t see anything about the diff?

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My 2022 Max Tow shows it in the window sticker

CBDEF6FB-8208-4114-8CC7-50A68A0C214B.png

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Well I'm the oddball on that with my "good" experience with Trac-Loc(s) I installed one in rear of my XJ rock crawler (a locker in front) and my LJ it came from factory with it. My XJ wasn't a trailer queen though I drove the S### out of it all over. It was a point and go with a Trac-Loc and front locker. Would a Detroit Locker be better in some areas, yes or a selectable locker in many but I didn't think the $$$ was worth the squeeze at the time. No regrets about it, how many people I've seen with problems with selectable lockers over the years. I won't name it because so many people will have their panties in a bunch if I did. Now on the "limited slip" options there is a few. Weight of vehicle, wheel base and the foot on the stupid pedal makes a lot of the differences.
Growing up in midwest in country, driving in snow, ice and river bottoms has tempered my driving style.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
2020 Max Tow checking in. According to my standard equipment I have a Command-TracĀ® Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive. Attached is the PDF that Stellantis put out re: it. A Trac-LokĀ® Limited-Slip Rear Differential is part of that package.

Jeep Gladiator Max Tow Differential 1683311213409

Attachments

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
2020 Max Tow checking in. According to my standard equipment I have a Command-TracĀ® Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive. Attached is the PDF that Stellantis put out re: it. A Trac-LokĀ® Limited-Slip Rear Differential is part of that package.

Jeep Gladiator Max Tow Differential 1683311213409
Command trac is just the standard "basic" 4WD transfer case.

The Trac Lok limited slip was not standard in the max tow package on early JTs (2020s). It became standard later on in the max tow package though.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Command-TracĀ® Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive. Attached is the PDF that Stellantis put out re: it. A Trac-LokĀ® Limited-Slip Rear Differential is part of that package.
No, the limited slip is not part of Command-Trac. That's not a package.
Command-Trac is the transfer case, not the differentials.

That PDF is ancient. Much has changed since then. The JT didn't exist.
MOPAR has changed things around multiple times since those days.
Sponsored