Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall, there was a max tow option for the Overland when I was going through selecting stuff I wanted when I was ordering it...could be wrong as it was late May of 2019 when I ordered it (memory may not serve me so well)...and yes, I do have the regular tow package.

I assume (probably not correctly though :CWL: ) that the only extra with the max tow package vs. the regular tow package was the gearing, 4.10 vs. 3.73?
Sorry - Max tow is Sport level only. There is and was no max tow for Overland. Only the standard towing package (6,000 pounds, 3.73)
There is also no gear ratio other than 3.37 for Overland.
And there's a lot more differences between max tow and regular tow package besides gear ratio.
Wider axles, gear ratio, progressive springs, and so on.
But you can't get any of that on Overland with any option package.
Max tow is Sport - although I believe you could get Sport with tow package and not max tow (but why?)

Unfortunately, those of us with Overland or wanting Overland can't get any of the max two stuff, can't get the other ratio, wider axles or progressive springs. Ah, but we can do some of that stuff later - but it still will NOT change the towing capacity or rating.
Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Sorry - Max tow is Sport level only. There is and was no max tow for Overland. Only the standard towing package (6,000 pounds, 3.73)
There is also no gear ratio other than 3.37 for Overland.
And there's a lot more differences between max tow and regular tow package besides gear ratio.
Wider axles, gear ratio, progressive springs, and so on.
But you can't get any of that on Overland with any option package.
Max tow is Sport - although I believe you could get Sport with tow package and not max tow (but why?)

Unfortunately, those of us with Overland or wanting Overland can't get any of the max two stuff, can't get the other ratio, wider axles or progressive springs. Ah, but we can do some of that stuff later - but it still will NOT change the towing capacity or rating.
I did a little looking and even did the 'build a jeep' thingy, Overland vs. Sport S. ALL gladiators have Dana 44 axles. The only differences between tow and max tow would be heavier duty braking, limited slip rear (an option I did get on my Overland), progressive springs (?)., and the 4.10 vs 3.73 gearing. YES, 3.73 ;) (I'm guessing you got lysdexic for a minute...).

I believe it's the braking ability that limits towing capacity, but with electronic brake assist on the trailer, I'm sure that helps a LOT with being able to tow up to the limit, even the limit of max tow on a non-max tow. I'm guessing that stated limit would be a regular trailer without electric (or any kind of) braking.

I remember when my Dad bought a 1988 Dodge Dakota and was surprised that the towing capacity was limited to like 3,500 pounds or so. When he asked the dealership why such a low load and towing capacity, he was told it was because of the limitations of the brakes...Listed capacity below for the 1988 Dakota...

Towing-capacity Specs

Standard Towing 3250 lbs

Maximum Towing 4850 lbs

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did a little looking and even did the 'build a jeep' thingy, Overland vs. Sport S. ALL gladiators have Dana 44 axles. The only differences between tow and max tow would be heavier duty braking, limited slip rear (an option I did get on my Overland), progressive springs (?)., and the 4.10 vs 3.73 gearing. YES, 3.73 ;) (I'm guessing you got lysdexic for a minute...).

I believe it's the braking ability that limits towing capacity, but with electronic brake assist on the trailer, I'm sure that helps a LOT with being able to tow up to the limit, even the limit of max tow on a non-max tow. I'm guessing that stated limit would be a regular trailer without electric (or any kind of) braking.

I remember when my Dad bought a 1988 Dodge Dakota and was surprised that the towing capacity was limited to like 3,500 pounds or so. When he asked the dealership why such a low load and towing capacity, he was told it was because of the limitations of the brakes...Listed capacity below for the 1988 Dakota...

Towing-capacity Specs

Standard Towing 3250 lbs

Maximum Towing 4850 lbs
Yup- typo then did a backspace and it jumped a notch on me. 3.73:1 is standard on Overland and non-max tow Sport.
You cannot get 4.10 gears factory in the Overland.
No, braking is not the bigger part of the formula.
You also have the truck weight to factor in. Note Rubicon's limitation - 6,000 pounds towing tops and yet you have the 4.10 ratio and wider track axles.
Yes, I know all about the axle numbers/types as they ALL get the same basic axle design Dana 44 - knew that.
The difference is that MAX TOW with Sport and all Rubicon have a total axle width that's 1.5" wider than non-max tow Sport or any Overland.
So the max tow sport and Rubicon have a wheelbase that is 1.5" total wider than any Overland or non-max tow Sport. Otherwise the axles are the same basic axle.
Trust me, been down this max tow vs other levels for over a year now and it's been studied and discussed to death in several threads with many dozens of posts.

Overland used to be the one with optional LSD and now they have expanded that. So you have to consider that the new model year will be different than any 2020 JT
So if you talk 2020 model year NO, MAX TOW DID NOT have LSD.
Braking isn't the biggest factor - in fact, I'd say it's down a ways on the list of "major factors". There's also some confusion on the brakes at times because different replacement brake parts come out differently than what the factory lists. Funny thing - "heavy duty" shows up on build sheets and appears to be the same as heavy duty under other packages. I'd love to compare rotor sizes and pad sizes and types. So far I've not seen an accurate comparison where someone did a swap and photographed and measured.
Your dad asked a dealer? Sorry, I have to laugh - they'll tell you that sort of thing but it's not a the whole factor nor is it the biggest. Dealers don't know squat. There's a heck of a lot more that goes into it like gross axle weight rating, gross vehicle weight rating, springs, just far more. I'd be willing to bet it wasn't brakes as the whole limiting factor. I'd bet maybe they did put better brakes on a truck meant to tow, but the larger towing capacity wasn't because of the brakes, they just put better brakes on a truck they built to tow more.
If you took the same truck with the lower capacity and put bigger brakes on it - all you'd have is bigger brakes, not more towing capacity. (I'm also a semi-retired auto tech)

Max tow was also written about as if it got the biggest alternator - if that's the case why does an Overland with standard tow package have the same 240 amp alternator? So even that's out the door.
(and don't totally trust that build your own thing online - there were differences between that consumer page and what the DEALER could see and do - the build your own isn't always current and isn't always accurate.)

Anywho - yeah, know about the differences, and what's the same. This is far from the first time it's come up. I've followed this sort of thread for over a year as I happen to have a car hauler and tow show cars around the country so it's been of great interest to me.

OP
OP

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Note Rubicon's limitation - 6,000 pounds towing tops and yet you have the 4.10 ratio and wider track axles.

Rubi tow capacity is 7K lbs. and 1250 lb. max. payload vs. 7650 & 1550 for the max tow.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Note Rubicon's limitation - 6,000 pounds towing tops and yet you have the 4.10 ratio and wider track axles.

Rubi tow capacity is 7K lbs. and 1250 lb. max. payload vs. 7650 & 1550 for the max tow.
Bottom line - if you want MPG - why the heck are you looking at a Gladiator or Wrangler??? Are you nuts? :CWL:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a big airgap at the bumper that will cost you.
Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out why my MPG sucked on the way into work this morning and why I was downshifting way more than normal. I just installed the rubi plastic front bumper with the steel skid and noticed three is an air gap between the grill and the plastic facia under it, as well as between the skid plate and the bumper. Im thinking those could be the culprit.

Its odd because yesterday I was getting my normal 19-21 hwy and staying in 7th and 8th easily...where today I saw 5th at one point. Just seems strange.

I got some foam to fill the gap under the grill, hopefully, tonight. and I am thinking through creating a gap filler for the steel skid where it meets the bumper.

***a note before shadowspapa shoots something at me...I'm not as concerned with the MPG. Im trying to figure out why the heck my shift points were all jacked up

DTJB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
21 max tow with 2300 on the clock... tereflex level and 35x12.5 falken MT- getting 18-19 “in town” (60mph on flattish roads) over the weekend I drove it with a trailer and coolers to get my beef avg 14-15 there and 13.5 back with 700ish lbs of meat+cooler weight+trailer weight, going through the Appalachian mountains... if I would have drove the speed limit it would probably have been better... if I wasn’t pulling 5-9% grades periodically it would have been better I’m sure... 550 miles round trip... all in all pleased lumpy brick mpgs

and I do have the calibration done for the 35’s

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload

My payload on my door is 1583. If I recall there was some on here who had a slightly higher payload than me.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My payload on my door is 1583. If I recall there was some on here who had a slightly higher payload than me.
Mine is listed at 1548 lbs./ 702 kg. I guess that spray in bed liner and Aux switch group knocked mine down 🙄

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Depends on where you live. Terrain matters, so does your right foot.

I'm seeing about 18.5 - 19.5 highway. Vehicle is stock.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out why my MPG sucked on the way into work this morning and why I was downshifting way more than normal. I just installed the rubi plastic front bumper with the steel skid and noticed three is an air gap between the grill and the plastic facia under it, as well as between the skid plate and the bumper. Im thinking those could be the culprit.

Its odd because yesterday I was getting my normal 19-21 hwy and staying in 7th and 8th easily...where today I saw 5th at one point. Just seems strange.

I got some foam to fill the gap under the grill, hopefully, tonight. and I am thinking through creating a gap filler for the steel skid where it meets the bumper.

***a note before shadowspapa shoots something at me...I'm not as concerned with the MPG. Im trying to figure out why the heck my shift points were all jacked up

This helped a lot!

C99CB8E5-5A35-44AD-B425-4CFE0982B044.jpeg

Gladys21

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
1500 on the clock. Sport Max Tow stock steel wheels and tires. Gator tri fold bed cover.Getting a solid 19+ - 21.4 around town, (rural not city). Have not done highway trip yet.

Loveing the 3 + extra MPG from 07 Gr Cherokee Laredo

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase