Max Tow - Real World MPG?

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
10,500 miles, 3.5 lift, 37s.(speedo correct)

Avg 16.5-17.5mpg. But my commute to work is all 0-50mph stop and go.
When I was out of work for the shut downs my avg mileage went up to 19.3 ish

Another thing Ive found(repeatedly tested because I didn't believe it) ...when I'm on the highway my mileage is worse with the cruise set below 75mph and is better with it set around 77/78 mph..
My only thought is there's enough momentum at the higher speed that it won't down shift as frequently, and stays in 8th or 7th...But that's a left field guess..

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
10,500 miles, 3.5 lift, 37s.(speedo correct)

Avg 16.5-17.5mpg. But my commute to work is all 0-50mph stop and go.
When I was out of work for the shut downs my avg mileage went up to 19.3 ish

Another thing Ive found(repeatedly tested because I didn't believe it) ...when I'm on the highway my mileage is worse with the cruise set below 75mph and is better with it set around 77/78 mph..
My only thought is there's enough momentum at the higher speed that it won't down shift as frequently, and stays in 8th or 7th...But that's a left field guess..
That's the sweet spot for mine on 35's as well. Pretty much between 70-78 mph my average climbs. Also when driving in the city, around 50-55 mph seems to get the mpgs up as well.

OffRoadHippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Gobi
Occupation
Wanderlust
Between 19-20 mpg stock Max Tow S Sport. I try and drive pretty conservative and when I am on the highway I hit the Cruise Control at 70 mph. About 70% highway.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I figured this is a good place for my MPG for one year of driving my Max-Tow JT. I keep a log all gas used and mileage, I've got 21.584 mpg over the first year. This is with a note's that my speedometer/ odometer is off slightly "speed reads 70 actually speed is 69 MPH"
This is including towing a trailer on 630-650 mile trip(s) most of it on I-State at 70 MPH (that sucked my MPG way down). Other noted thing is after each oil change my MPG dropped off for at least first fill up. Dealership oil change and check up. My highest during this has been 27+ MPG for few tanks of gas. Things that I have seen to help increase my MPG's is to keep my maximum speed below 69 MPH and minimum speed to get it shifted to 8th in transmission. Being my commute is 57 miles about one way mix of gravel, county roads, highway, city, and I-State/ Expressway's. I use cruise control as much as possible too.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Sitting at a hair under 17mpg on the dash display, ~2k miles of mostly side roads driving.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Youll find it depends on which bumper is on the truck, and what size and type of tire is on it.

If you have a big airgap at the bumper that will cost you. If you have actual truck tires that will cost you. Mud terrains especially. And then it gets worse as you go up.

Ive managed 23.4mpg on the highway on 37’s and the stock 4.1’s.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Oh and my MPG is from the use of 1208.013 gallons of gas 😉 so. Yes I do record down to the .001 gallon.
The only changes on mine from factory externally is added solar system, bumper, winch some extra lights, Overland side steps still running stock AT tires and rims. I've removed rear seats, that saved about the weight of winch and bumper if not more.
I'm thinking about figuring out how much I've spent per mile but I can already see I don't want to know. 🤔 I should add up what I've used in gas for my other Jeeps but I really don't want to think about that stack of $$$.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I should add up what I've used in gas for my other Jeeps but I really don't want to think about that stack of $$$.
If you have to ask, it's too much :CWL:

Actually, all ya all are in the same range as my bone stock JTO without the max tow package. Gives me hope that (depending how she performs in the first couple of trips) should I need to swap out to 4.10s, my mileage won't change that much. 19 bopping around and 23 hwy.

Sublime

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gecko Green 2021 Sport S
Thinking of going with the MAX TOW option soon. Overall plans is 6" RC lift with 40x15.5 tires. Will eventually upgrade to 5.13 gears. If I can even come close to 17mpg I'll be happy. Currently getting 18.5 with my charger V8 R/T putting 93 in it

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTO, '21 WK2, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you have to ask, it's too much :CWL:

Actually, all ya all are in the same range as my bone stock JTO without the max tow package. Gives me hope that (depending how she performs in the first couple of trips) should I need to swap out to 4.10s, my mileage won't change that much. 19 bopping around and 23 hwy.
I assume you mean tow package as Overland doesn't get the max tow..........

Mine is down since the PCM flash, but then I've also added that bumper and winch weight, and it's winter and 0 degrees right now.

Oh and my MPG is from the use of 1208.013 gallons of gas 😉 so. Yes I do record down to the .001 gallon.
The only changes on mine from factory externally is added solar system, bumper, winch some extra lights, Overland side steps still running stock AT tires and rims. I've removed rear seats, that saved about the weight of winch and bumper if not more.
I'm thinking about figuring out how much I've spent per mile but I can already see I don't want to know. 🤔 I should add up what I've used in gas for my other Jeeps but I really don't want to think about that stack of $$$.
So do you use paper and then transfer to something or log it in a phone app or some other way?
I've been saving the receipts or writing it down, the plugging it into a Calc spreadsheet on my computers.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So do you use paper and then transfer to something or log it in a phone app or some other way?
I've been saving the receipts or writing it down, the plugging it into a Calc spreadsheet on my computers.
I write it in a rite-in-rain type of notebook. Starting with the trip odometer, vehicle miles, gal, cost, per gal. and date. I've got a notebook on my MJ, XJ and LJ the same. Nothing special but a habit I started when I had to have everything ready right dress and exactly in place.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTO, '21 WK2, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I write it in a rite-in-rain type of notebook. Starting with the trip odometer, vehicle miles, gal, cost, per gal. and date. I've got a notebook on my MJ, XJ and LJ the same. Nothing special but a habit I started when I had to have everything ready right dress and exactly in place.
Might just keep up the notebook habit and keep putting it into the spreadsheet. it's easy.......

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Might just keep up the notebook habit and keep putting it into the spreadsheet. it's easy.......
I might do the spreadsheet if I didn't just use my cellphone and a tablet for personal use. I started tracking my vehicle MPG's after I took my first computer class and had to code in DOS a program for figuring out MPG I should have stuck with computer stuff then. But I thought it was a PTA to spend 30 minutes to input the code to do something I could do in a minute in my head or on paper. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: oh being young and dumbass in the 80s😉

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I assume you mean tow package as Overland doesn't get the max tow..........
If I recall, there was a max tow option for the Overland when I was going through selecting stuff I wanted when I was ordering it...could be wrong as it was late May of 2019 when I ordered it (memory may not serve me so well)...and yes, I do have the regular tow package.

I assume (probably not correctly though :CWL: ) that the only extra with the max tow package vs. the regular tow package was the gearing, 4.10 vs. 3.73?