Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I agree with you @Alabama Mud Machine . I don't really think the extra 650# as a gimmick but a fact based on the math. I bought the Max Tow and I'm only pull a 2500# camper and a utility trailer! I believe in over kill, the simple reason is I don't what to over work the engine and be able enjoy long trips, up & down hills, head winds and the ability to pass in slow moving traffic.
Some one on here mentioned the 60% rule when picking a tow vehicle and I can understand the logic.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Another point that I was discussing with someone just an hour ago is that the Max Tow has 1650 pounds of payload capacity, and the Rubicon drops that to just over 1k. That's a LOT. Even if you don't plan on carrying that much, it also tells you how a trailer will handle without weight distribution. Of course, WD would make it not really matter, for the most part.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
That payload increase on the Max Tow is do to the rear springs. They are stronger to accept tongue weight. So whatever your tongue is would be deducted from the 1650# you quoted.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yes, of course. But the point was that the Max Tow will add better tongue weight handling and ability. So a 500 pound tongue would be using 1/3 of the max tow ability, but 1/2 of the Rubi. This is in the spirit of running things at well below limits. My trailer sags my Rubi like crazy, and it's under 400 pounds. I normally run WD, but tried it without to see how it goes.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
My tongue weight is 240# and takes the edge off just right for that smooth ride. You know how a pickup with a cap on the back takes away any bounce.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That payload increase on the Max Tow is do to the rear springs. They are stronger to accept tongue weight. So whatever your tongue is would be deducted from the 1650# you quoted.
So, essentially payload-wise, you could swap Max Tow rear springs into a JTR and have 1,650 lbs of safe payload capacity...

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I don't think that's the only difference. I don't have evidence of it, but the claim doesn't jive with what I've lightly read about the differences.

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
I went with the Max Tow and will put lockers in it when I am ready to do some more serious off-roading. We have a lot of rock crawling her in AZ and the southwest, but the Gladiator has a lot of overhang. I took the wife's JLUR when we went to Moab two weeks ago. If yo can live without lockers, definitely do the Max Tow and pick-up a set of the higher clearance Rubicon fenders if you're doing bigger tires...just my two cents worth.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that's the only difference. I don't have evidence of it, but the claim doesn't jive with what I've lightly read about the differences.
Everything else on the vehicle is the same... HD cooling, same engine, trans, axles, gears, frames, bodies... Only difference is Rubi has lockers and sway bar disco... As far as the running gear goes...

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
So the shocks on the Rubi are identical to those on a Max tow?

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I think the JTR have different springs. The Mopar numbers were shown here on another thread I read last year and probably someone can find the info.

So, essentially payload-wise, you could swap Max Tow rear springs into a JTR and have 1,650 lbs of safe payload capacity
I doubt the payload would be the same because its all based on the overall weight of the vehicle. The Rubicon is loaded with everything. You know part of that payload is you sitting in it.
I bought a set of Rubi take offs rock rails. I don't know what they weighed, but I could not pick the box up by myself. I 'm sure they added close to 50# if not more. So not only would they reduce the payload but the tow capacity as well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would think they were made to accommodate off road.
The valving will be slightly different, but being that both vehicles are VERY similar in weight, and design function (4x4 offroad vehicle), and are essentially the same vehicle, they should be extremely similar, just much higher quality than the cheap monotubes that come on the Max Tow vs. the Fox shocks on the Rubicon.

But here's a quick basic description of the function of shocks and valving:

It's easier than my trying to type it all out and explain in my own words... Copy, paste, done...

The most important thing to remember, though, is that shocks do not hold weight. The purpose of the shock is to control or dampen the motion of the spring. If you’ve ever driven a vehicle with completely worn-out shocks, you know that the body of the car will keep going up and down for a very long time after hitting a bump. A high-quality shock will bring the motion of the spring back to ride height in one oscillation.

Shocks are essentially hydraulic pumps. A piston is attached to the shock rod. As the shock compresses and extends, this piston moves up and down inside hydraulic fluid. Orifices in the piston dictate how easily the piston moves by varying how much fluid is allowed to transfer from one part of the chamber to another. This converts the kinetic energy of the spring into heat, which is then dissipated through the shock fluid. The variables that affect how much dampening there is are the volume of the chambers, the diameter of the piston, the size of the orifices, and the type of fluid and gas used. And that’s in the simplest design. Most shock manufacturers in our market have advanced piston design with progressive valving that allows different flow rates at high velocity (hitting a big bump at high vehicle speed) compared to slow velocity (a small bump at slow speed).
https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1408-springs-and-shocks-what-they-do/
Sponsored