Sponsored

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Finally getting around to looking at my footage from our Moab trip in June. The trail is amazing! Not technical at all, a stock JT can do it but there are plenty of cliffs to keep it interesting. This is a down and back trail that has the most amazing views that keep getting better as the trail goes. We left early in the morning to get to the end by lunch and eat with a view overlooking the Colorado river. Family had a great time on this trail with how beautiful it is, playing on the rocks and looking over the cliffs.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
A couple years ago a friend and I went about halfway down Chickens Corners (basically over Hurrah pass and down to flat ground) before we turned back because he lost a nut one of his control arms and we didn't have a spare.

Would love to go back and complete it. I'll see if I can find a picture from our rigs on top of Hurrah Pass. It was when I had my 2 door JK.

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple years ago a friend and I went about halfway down Chickens Corners (basically over Hurrah pass and down to flat ground) before we turned back because he lost a nut one of his control arms and we didn't have a spare.

Would love to go back and complete it. I'll see if I can find a picture from our rigs on top of Hurrah Pass. It was when I had my 2 door JK.
I wouldn't want to get stranded out there, good choice. We had plenty of gear and supplies and satellite link as there is no cell coverage for the whole trail. We stopped for a UTV that sounded like it blew the transmission. It was a rental and they had no supplies. It wasn't too hot but sitting still in the sun got hot after awhile. Husband and son walked miles back to a canoe base. Kind of reckless of some people going that far out unprepared. They only had some Mt Dew and low phone batteries. Gave them a batter pack and some water and tried to contact the rental place via sat link but they didn't even have a phone number with them.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I wouldn't want to get stranded out there, good choice. We had plenty of gear and supplies and satellite link as there is no cell coverage for the whole trail. We stopped for a UTV that sounded like it blew the transmission. It was a rental and they had no supplies. It wasn't too hot but sitting still in the sun got hot after awhile. Husband and son walked miles back to a canoe base. Kind of reckless of some people going that far out unprepared. They only had some Mt Dew and low phone batteries. Gave them a batter pack and some water and tried to contact the rental place via sat link but they didn't even have a phone number with them.
For sure! When we are out like that we are typically equipped to be safe for 24-48 hours without help, even when we are just staying at local hotels at night and just going out for day trips. If camping is in the cards, we're prepared for even longer.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Finally getting around to looking at my footage from our Moab trip in June. The trail is amazing! Not technical at all, a stock JT can do it but there are plenty of cliffs to keep it interesting. This is a down and back trail that has the most amazing views that keep getting better as the trail goes. We left early in the morning to get to the end by lunch and eat with a view overlooking the Colorado river. Family had a great time on this trail with how beautiful it is, playing on the rocks and looking over the cliffs.
My wife and I MTB in Moab all the time but she's not really into wheeling. This has always been on my list as an easy trail with amazing views.
Dispersed camping is allowed on Chicken Corners correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure! When we are out like that we are typically equipped to be safe for 24-48 hours without help, even when we are just staying at local hotels at night and just going out for day trips. If camping is in the cards, we're prepared for even longer.
I always fall back to Safety Third principal from Mike Rowe. Never trust that someone else has your safety in mind. Safety culture tends to make things less safe as people assume someone else is watching out for their own safety. The rental places are pretty bad letting people go out like without any supplies. This was a family that was completely unprepared. It was only in low 80's but well within the 100's the week before.

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I MTB in Moab all the time but she's not really into wheeling. This has always been on my list as an easy trail with amazing views.
Dispersed camping is allowed on Chicken Corners correct?
The wives with us are not big into traditional wheeling where you have to wait for people to get over obstacles and winch etc. They absolutely loved this trail because for them it was just amazing view after amazing view. It is an easy trail with the small things that are just a little difficult having bypasses. The actual Chicken Corner is just a little but clenchy but not bad at all and almost at the very end of the trail.

It is pretty much all BLM land with a bit of state land. I believe the trail splits between two BLM districts. We weren't looking to camp so we didn't really keep tabs on them. I know there were some very early in the trail I believe before Hurrah Pass.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A tight zip tie around a control arm bolt will help get you home if a nut jumps ship.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

Thanks for that. I mtn biked that trail many years ago.

Banjomule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
How do you avoid running in to someone traveling the opposite direction and someone having to back up? From the looks of it I’d hate to have to back out along those cliffs!

Sponsored

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you avoid running in to someone traveling the opposite direction and someone having to back up? From the looks of it I’d hate to have to back out along those cliffs!
There are plenty of passing places on this trail. The very narrow parts aren't very long and you could usually see for aways or see long before you got to that section. Only exception would be a couple blind corners then it is up to trail etiquette. No real big climbs so no yield to uphill travel. We saw a couple of other groups out there and was easy to figure out where to let them pass or them let us pass.

Some other trails I have been on I really worried because the chances for passing were few and far between and luckily haven't had to back up far.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
A tight zip tie around a control arm bolt will help get you home if a nut jumps ship.
Always keep them in your recovery kit

#becauseroadkill

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've lived 26 miles outside of Moab for 49 years and Chicken Corners has always been one of my favorite trails. But don't go out there without letting someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back. I wouldn't do it without a 2-way satellite communicator. We recently tested the satellite SOS function on the new iPhone 14 in several locations around Moab where cell service is non-existernt. Worked great!

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've lived 26 miles outside of Moab for 49 years and Chicken Corners has always been one of my favorite trails. But don't go out there without letting someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back. I wouldn't do it without a 2-way satellite communicator. We recently tested the satellite SOS function on the new iPhone 14 in several locations around Moab where cell service is non-existernt. Worked great!
We carry an emergency Sat device with us and try to never travel alone. Sometimes it happens though. We did see a few groups on the trail and seemed pretty well traveled.
Sponsored