Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just communicated with a fellow who is on the team that got Gorilla glass for the Jeep. He's looking into whether or not it is or will be available for those with the ACC/collision avoidance/auto high beam headlights. I didn't even know what the guy did for a liveing but have known him through the car hobby for a while. I mentioned Gorilla glass and he said "my team got that into the Jeep wrangler"

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had 3 windshields cracked in my LJ in one month with in 5 miles of the others on 565 in Huntsville, AL. Now my JT on 28 May on 565 in Huntsville, AL. Just had it replaced at Dealership with aftermarket glass (same as stock) as of now I've got 2 cracked windshields my LJ and XJ. I could have about lived with it being cracked but not the over 50 rock chips all over it. Anytime I had sunshine from the front or headlights I couldn't see clearly. Now in the battle of paperwork for replacement cost. 😣😣😣☹
The County I live in it's almost a requirement for it to be cracked to be a local or to renew tags...😋

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had 3 windshields cracked in my LJ in one month with in 5 miles of the others on 565 in Huntsville, AL. Now my JT on 28 May on 565 in Huntsville, AL. Just had it replaced at Dealership with aftermarket glass (same as stock) as of now I've got 2 cracked windshields my LJ and XJ. I could have about lived with it being cracked but not the over 50 rock chips all over it. Anytime I had sunshine from the front or headlights I couldn't see clearly. Now in the battle of paperwork for replacement cost. 😣😣😣☹
The County I live in it's almost a requirement for it to be cracked to be a local or to renew tags...😋
When I cleaned the bugs off mine I thought I was missing a couple dozen or more bugs - turns out they were small chips and dings in the glass. Odd thing is I don't recall hearing any rocks or anything hitting it. I'm beginning to believe Jeep windshields chip when flies and beetles hit them. Either that or they are feeding rocks to the flies around here.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I cleaned the bugs off mine I thought I was missing a couple dozen or more bugs - turns out they were small chips and dings in the glass. Odd thing is I don't recall hearing any rocks or anything hitting it. I'm beginning to believe Jeep windshields chip when flies and beetles hit them. Either that or they are feeding rocks to the flies around here.
Well 565 is being repaved and the company doing it didn't clean up loose rocks a lot of us was following the speed limit but then their was the special ones weaving though throwing rocks everywhere. A van whipped right in front of me and just plastering my windshield I ever ended up with a bunch of gravel where wiper blades mount that was in a 4 mile section.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Received word from friend in the glass business that the Gorilla glass windshield for the JT with forward camera and radar for forward collision control, ACC and so on is slated for release in 6 weeks.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Its a neat idea / product, but doesnt sell it for me. If I am going to go through the trouble of replacing glass in my vehicle, Its going to be for bulletproofing.

If this thing could stop 5.56, Id buy two.

PresidentGod

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Army AGR
I drove a 2004 G wagen for three years (don’t hate, I got it for $28k used) on the same roads as my new Gladiator. 2” lift on the Jeep and 2” lift on the g. Never got any glass damage on the Mercedes and have two chips on the Jeep with under 4K on the odometer. Two round trips over the mountains and two rock chips. Additionally the glass is pitted all over.

The angle on the Jeep is more laid back. The g was more vertical. The LMTV I have to drive between western Colorado and the front range (Denver area) for work has a a nearly vertical windshield that has no cracks or chips whatsoever. It is up higher than the gladiator or the g though. The Humvee’s windshield that does the trip less frequently than the LMTV is lower than the Jeep, more vertical, and has no cracks or chips with 40k miles on the counter. Technically the hummer has two windshields but both sides are fine.

Now before anyone starts saying the tactical vehicles have reinforced windshields or something, neither is up armored or special. BUT - they are speed governed at around 62 mph which probably contributes to less rock damage. The rocks aren’t hitting us at 80 mph, we’re hitting THEM at 80. With that being said I drove the g a little faster than the Jeep, still no damage to the Mercedes.

I’ll probably buy the gorilla glass windshield next year when I plan to replace the windshield anyway. I think we need reports from people that have run the expensive glass on the same roads they ran the stock glass to see if it’s the angle or the glass quality. I’ll contribute data when I have some but don’t hold your breath.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2004 G wagen for three years (don’t hate, I got it for $28k used) on the same roads as my new Gladiator. 2” lift on the Jeep and 2” lift on the g. Never got any glass damage on the Mercedes and have two chips on the Jeep with under 4K on the odometer. Two round trips over the mountains and two rock chips. Additionally the glass is pitted all over.

The angle on the Jeep is more laid back. The g was more vertical. The LMTV I have to drive between western Colorado and the front range (Denver area) for work has a a nearly vertical windshield that has no cracks or chips whatsoever. It is up higher than the gladiator or the g though. The Humvee’s windshield that does the trip less frequently than the LMTV is lower than the Jeep, more vertical, and has no cracks or chips with 40k miles on the counter. Technically the hummer has two windshields but both sides are fine.

Now before anyone starts saying the tactical vehicles have reinforced windshields or something, neither is up armored or special. BUT - they are speed governed at around 62 mph which probably contributes to less rock damage. The rocks aren’t hitting us at 80 mph, we’re hitting THEM at 80. With that being said I drove the g a little faster than the Jeep, still no damage to the Mercedes.

I’ll probably buy the gorilla glass windshield next year when I plan to replace the windshield anyway. I think we need reports from people that have run the expensive glass on the same roads they ran the stock glass to see if it’s the angle or the glass quality. I’ll contribute data when I have some but don’t hold your breath.
In the case of my wife's WK2 it was more a combination - she was going 55, the rock was coming back at us from that truck at at least 30, perhaps more.
But generally speaking, yeah, it's like deer hits - around here, the deer hit YOU.
In any case, good points.

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Received word from friend in the glass business that the Gorilla glass windshield for the JT with forward camera and radar for forward collision control, ACC and so on is slated for release in 6 weeks.
Thanks @ShadowsPapa this is the information I came here to find. Delear said they could get the GG windshield but didn't know if it was ACC compatible. Clearly not. Might just let my broken windshield sit for a bit until this is released.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Thanks @ShadowsPapa this is the information I came here to find. Delear said they could get the GG windshield but didn't know if it was ACC compatible. Clearly not. Might just let my broken windshield sit for a bit until this is released.
I'm on my second one right now and its busted with big crack all the way up the passenger side. Not effecting drivers side so riding with mine like that unless they make me change it to pass inspection. Don't fell like going through all the hassle again of redoing toll tags, etc. Hoping that when I do change again insurance might cover the GG

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
For those of you who like to read the 'fine print', here is the warranty:

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY
Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.
Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may
cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.
Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Damage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.
The damage from road debris referred to in this section is warrantable notwithstanding other provisions in the Mopar warranty.
Additional exclusions may apply

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
They could make the glass bullet proof too. Cost prohibitive. I don't mind not paying an extra $500 for a new vehicle due to enhanced windshield. Saying they all should come with that windshield is like saying all JT 's should come standard with LED lighting, 8.4" or bigger touch screens, performance exhaust, the collision alert,keyless entry, Rubicon trim with Mojave shocks, etc. It has to be at least a little more affordable for the guy who wants to build on his own. If I ever need a replacement, my insurance may or may not cover it or subsidise the upgrade. I would be willing to pay difference if it truly is a better windshield.
I just looked at the build tool for a Gladiator. You can upgrade to gorilla glass for 95.00 Interesting

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Since moving to Alabama years ago I have lost count how many cracked windshields (none involved a Jeep, past or present vehicles) I have had and my commute to work is very short. Given this thread on others on the forum windshield related, I ordered the Racing Optics product for $175 hoping to keep my windshield like new. It costs less than my deductible and curious if it works as promised. Arrives tomorrow and plan to install over the weekend if I have time (and can find someone to help me).
How did the film turn out? We will be going down the pan American hwy and something that gives us a little more protection especially down south of the border isn’t a bad thing at all.
Sponsored