First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
As the title says, I've looked around but I havent seen anyone mount a CB radio in the bottom compartment of the center arm rest. Are there any examples of anyone doing something like this? Is it possible to do without removing the entire center console?
Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
I’ll be honest, when we put the cb radio in my wife’s JLU we just kind of set the box in there and left it alone. The wiring was easy to run and I was able to tuck it up under the console, and the antenna wire went to the rear and was hidden by the floor mats and seats so it was a very non permanent fix that got the job done. You might even be able to use Velcro and stick it to the inside of the armrest to get it out of the way.

OP
OP
Atomsk

Atomsk

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Would you happen to have any pictures of what you did? Did you have to bother with lifting the center stack at all or were you able to do it in place? My boss mounted a CB in his truck with a big ol antenna mounted on the rear bumper. I'm replacing my radio antenna with a bullet style replacement. I doubt that bullet would be adequate for CB but I'm not sure. If it wouldn't work, I'd mount a , matching bullet on the opposite side for symmetry. If it doesn't though I'd probably do a full antenna on the rear bumper, and while I'm at it maybe run some cables to the bed for some rear power options.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
when it comes to cb radio you can go cheap on the head unit but you have to spend good money on your antenna, that’s where the quality of reception comes from. I highly doubt a small bullet style antenna would work well. I don’t have any pictures, I remember just buying a 50 dollar radio with antenna, then throwing the antenna in the trash and buying a 60 dollar antenna for it.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
After going on a run with a few other Jeepers I thought I needed a CB radio. However, during this first run I realized the others in the group were not using CB. They were using GMRS radios and GMRS frequencies. Make certain what frequencies you will want to be using as CB and GMRS do not talk with one another and use different antennas. I ended up getting a hand held GMRS radio.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Besides what has already been mentioned:

* Radios generate heat, especially when transmitting.Modern electronics do not like heat. It may/may not be a problem in such a small sealed space.

* "How do you plan on operating it? With the console open? While off-roading?

* Even with the console open, the audio may sound muddied or hard to hear, you'll probably need to mount an external speaker.

* Even a very small radio is going to weigh a pound or 2. How will you mount it in there.The mounting brackets usually supplied if mounted to the plastic console may break the console just from vibration and bumps.

Just things to consider and factor in.

OP
OP
Atomsk

Atomsk

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hmmm, lots of good points here. To be honest i'd love to rock a handheld and call it a day. The local group i'm looking to join has a cb with external mounted antenna as a requirement for trail rides past the second ride. I'll have to contact the coordinator to see if that's still a hard and fast rule. I've seen installs that hang off the center console on the co-pilot side. I think that would be my next option if the arm rest doesn't pan out. It's not that intrusive i would just have to remove the little hanging storage box that came on the console. Thank you all for the replies an points. I'm sure ill have more questions the closer i get to the real install heh

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
If you are trying to hide the radio and it must be CB .. I'd suggest looking at the Cobra 75 Little amp can be hidden under the kick plate below the steering wheel or behind the glove box. All the controls are on the mic ...

Jeep Gladiator Mounting a small CB in the center arm wrest 75_ALLROAD_3QTR_HANDSET_RECVR_615x

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
If you are trying to hide the radio and it must be CB .. I'd suggest looking at the Cobra 75 Little amp can be hidden under the kick plate below the steering wheel or behind the glove box. All the controls are on the mic ...

Jeep Gladiator Mounting a small CB in the center arm wrest 75_ALLROAD_3QTR_HANDSET_RECVR_615x
+1 on this suggestion.

I have the older version in both of my JKUR’s and my JTR. Minimal footprint so they are mounted behind the glovebox and the handset is hanging off a CMM Offroad grab bar call mount. Honestly a very convenient solution.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Uniden also has a small body option. i have this mounted and connected to a stryker antenna. Have not been able to do functional tests yet though

Jeep Gladiator Mounting a small CB in the center arm wrest 245BCDFF-C9E9-4C52-B8D0-A17BA8AF33A6

Sponsored

104wb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2012 JKUR
I mounted a Uniden Pro 520XL in my JKU center console for the same reason you are contemplating, although I never have used it much. My antenna is a steel whip mounted to the driver-side fender on a bracket that comes out from the hood gap. Not quite symmetric with the FM antenna on the other side. The JK center console is different than my JT console, though; it is deeper (The Uniden is 9" high even with a right-angle Mic adapter), and it has a 12v cigarette source inside. I only had to drill one hole near the bottom for the coax antenna cable. I use an aux 3.5mm stereo cable to plug into the JK's radio as an aux input. Radio itself is attached with velcro, which has stayed put for 10+ years.
Jeep Gladiator Mounting a small CB in the center arm wrest PXL_20230409_200924227_llcro
Jeep Gladiator Mounting a small CB in the center arm wrest PXL_20230409_201249510_llcro

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
CB radios are on their way out, I’m in 4 different clubs and everyone has switched to gmrs, race radios and or ham. The higher the antenna is mounted over the vehicle the better reception, that also goes for small stubby types

OP
OP
Atomsk

Atomsk

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I mounted a Uniden Pro 520XL in my JKU center console for the same reason you are contemplating, although I never have used it much. My antenna is a steel whip mounted to the driver-side fender on a bracket that comes out from the hood gap. Not quite symmetric with the FM antenna on the other side. The JK center console is different than my JT console, though; it is deeper (The Uniden is 9" high even with a right-angle Mic adapter), and it has a 12v cigarette source inside. I only had to drill one hole near the bottom for the coax antenna cable. I use an aux 3.5mm stereo cable to plug into the JK's radio as an aux input. Radio itself is attached with velcro, which has stayed put for 10+ years.
PXL_20230409_200924227_llcrop.jpg
This is actually exactly what I was thinking aboutdoing. Hadn't considered hooking the power straight into the cig lighter inside. Pretty ingenious tbh.

I also hadn't thought of the possibility of mounting behind the kick plate, those little mini amps with controls in the hand mike sound perfect for what I want. I'm gonna have to remove those lower kick panels to run some aux switches eventually. I'll take a good look at some mounting options back there. Mounting the amp somewhere hidden like the glovebox or kick plate Is exactly I think is exactly what I'm looking for. Should be pretty easy to find an unintrusive place to mount the hand mike.

Definitely going to reach out to the club though to find out if its something they're hard set on. There's quite a few pieces that have higher priority on my wish list.

BigG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Papermaker
I have a Cobra 75. The box just sits in the console and when I’m wheeling I swap out the phone holder for a mic/handheld radio mount.

ABC7290D-7B6C-428D-B711-A5734693798C.jpeg

1E804F87-F996-48E6-A729-ADF5FEABF43C.jpeg

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks everyone.

Put a cb in my '75 F100. XM44-6275 in Canada
Man that Ford generated a lot of noise. I think I could see further than the cb transmitted. Tried all kinds of antennas.

DaveL
Toronto
Sponsored