My Gladiator trade in value - for reference

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I've seen a number of use Gladiators on the local dealer lots lately. Most 8-12k miles. Prices aren't much different than a brand new one.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most people fail to consider that in their trade. Yes, you get less up front front trading at the dealer vs. selling out right, but you always have to consider the tax savings as value. It sounds like you did well.
A person has to do the math.
Dealer offered me a piddly crappy insult of 16,500 for my 40,000 miles 2011 Silverado.
I sold it to a CHEVY dealer for 19,000 cash and considering the tax disadvantage, still came out well over a grand ahead after taxes - plus got to rub it in to them and make them regret their BS (they were not happy)
Some states don't have some of these taxes so everyone has to do their OWN math, there is no generalization here other than "check your taxes, do your own math"

Mrtaylor1982

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Asset remarketing
I’m in the business (asset remarking) new car prices are low but used ones are extremely high due to lack of inventory. I’ve only seen a couple at the auctions and all have been 40K plus. The book value isn’t the true value of these that the dealers willing to pay to put one on their lot if they are not a franchise dealer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Values also vary wildly with LOCATION. My Silverado was a great example with members arguing that my truck couldn't possibly be worth over 15 or 16K - because no truck in Florida (REALLY??) sold for that much. Thus, my truck wasn't worth that.
Maybe that Silverado wouldn't bring much in FL or NY - but here in Iowa, they bring thousands more - and people jump all over them when they find a good one. Heck, while people here argued my Chevy wasn't worth even with one dealer offered in trade, another dealer paid me 19K outright for it and I had individuals who were interested at 21K. (more than "book")
Even these Gladiators will vary wildly in price based on location.

I’m in the business (asset remarking) new car prices are low but used ones are extremely high due to lack of inventory. I’ve only seen a couple at the auctions and all have been 40K plus. The book value isn’t the true value of these that the dealers willing to pay to put one on their lot if they are not a franchise dealer.
I need to get my car appraised for insurance value - know anyone in my area?? This state sucks for that sort of thing and yet we have more classic cars here per capita than almost anywhere else according to hot rod magazines.

A few months ago a dealer told me my JT Overland was worth only 44K in trade on a Rubicon of the same equipment otherwise. It had something like 2,000 miles at the time. You can't get squat out of them in trade around here. Again, Iowa sucks for that sort of thing. It's ruled by corporate dealerships, all Jeep dealers in central Iowa save for a couple are owned by two huge corporations and they lock prices at MSRP for new and don't give anything for trades.
Central Iowa Jeep dealers just plain suck as far as buying and trading. That's why we went 4 hours north to get my wife's new Jeep. She said there was "no way in hell I'll ever buy......" at the place I bought my JT after that crappy experience, and she hates the "sales manager" at the other place, too.

reagle

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Designer
Had 22k on my clock - paid me 2k less than I paid for it. 14mos old. They’re currently selling it for 49k - 2k more than I bought it for new. It does have a MOPAR lift on it. Hope they didn’t leave those 33s on it lol. I took my 37s and wheels with m

Traded it in so bare it didn’t even have a front bumper, lol.

Can’t see any reason to buy a slightly used Jeep these days.

A0F30645-0BE0-4940-8A81-B1B84F51F55D.jpeg
did they give you shit about the missing bumper? what actual number did they offer you? I've been offer $46k for my Rubi with 7k miles

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
did they give you shit about the missing bumper? what actual number did they offer you? I've been offer $46k for my Rubi with 7k miles
$46k cash or on trade? It makes a difference.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I've seen a number of use Gladiators on the local dealer lots lately. Most 8-12k miles. Prices aren't much different than a brand new one.
Right I just don't get what the dealers are going to do with those. Interest rates tend to suck on a used care loan so odds are the buyer might not even save anything buying used in the long run.

Values also vary wildly with LOCATION. My Silverado was a great example with members arguing that my truck couldn't possibly be worth over 15 or 16K - because no truck in Florida (REALLY??) sold for that much. Thus, my truck wasn't worth that.
Maybe that Silverado wouldn't bring much in FL or NY - but here in Iowa, they bring thousands more - and people jump all over them when they find a good one. Heck, while people here argued my Chevy wasn't worth even with one dealer offered in trade, another dealer paid me 19K outright for it and I had individuals who were interested at 21K. (more than "book")

I need to get my car appraised for insurance value - know anyone in my area?? This state sucks for that sort of thing and yet we have more classic cars here per capita than almost anywhere else according to hot rod magazines.

A few months ago a dealer told me my JT Overland was worth only 44K in trade on a Rubicon of the same equipment otherwise. It had something like 2,000 miles at the time. You can't get squat out of them in trade around here. Again, Iowa sucks for that sort of thing. It's ruled by corporate dealerships, all Jeep dealers in central Iowa save for a couple are owned by two huge corporations and they lock prices at MSRP for new and don't give anything for trades.
Central Iowa Jeep dealers just plain suck as far as buying and trading. That's why we went 4 hours north to get my wife's new Jeep. She said there was "no way in hell I'll ever buy......" at the place I bought my JT after that crappy experience, and she hates the "sales manager" at the other place, too.
Yep in SC it doesn't matter as much we are locked into 5% up to $500, a few years ago it was only up to $300. But we have to pay property taxes and those are a pain.

Mrtaylor1982

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Asset remarketing

Sorry I’ve got nothing for an insurance appraisal, but from my experience on that it doesn’t matter where you take it it’s going to be lowballed. Insurance has always been much lower then trade in.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I’ve got nothing for an insurance appraisal, but from my experience on that it doesn’t matter where you take it it’s going to be lowballed. Insurance has always been much lower then trade in.
Talking about a classic collector car, UNDAMAGED, restored, show condition - no dealer would give a fraction of what the paint cost LOL

My agent wants tons of photos and an appraisal. Especially since I sold one of my other cars for well over what I had it insured for (in fact I sold it for well over what others were guessing other than one friend who called it pretty close. There were others waiting in line calling and writing "if that guy doesn't take it, I'll send you the money")

This isn't for DAMAGE, it's to get a value I can insure it for. It's been called the best example of that model anywhere......a 193 out of 200 and I have the stuff needed to bring it up to at least 196 out of 200.

Anyway, I need to get the car appraised for it's value so I can insure it for that much - or more, perhaps, since it would literally be impossible today to put it back to how it is. I got the last of many parts.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
No...if you look closely my new Gator doesn't have a bumper either...I had them remove it so they could put it on the old silver one so they had a bumper. I also removed my coil spacers, track bars, aftermarket headlights etc...errthang. All they wanted was the lift. I assume so they can charge not only for the lift but for the labor. Heck I even had them swap the hard tops since my hard top had the hot head liners and sound strips, lol.

New - 47K
Trade - 45K

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
Most people fail to consider that in their trade. Yes, you get less up front front trading at the dealer vs. selling out right, but you always have to consider the tax savings as value. It sounds like you did well.
Depends on the state. That’s NOT always the case. Some allow a sales tax credit even for selling to an individual.

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HB Mojave
Occupation
Professional Over Complicator
It's like this:

Buying straight out (no trade):
$50,000 new Ford Truck
-$10,000 discount since you're paying cash
=====
$40,000 new Ford truck (out of pocket, in actual dollars)

--Now, instead of buying outright, let's say you want to trade in your JT that you paid $45,000 for some months back. Trade may look something like this:

$50,000 new Ford Truck =
-$40,000 "trade in value" of your JT shown on paper.
$10,000 difference paid out of pocket.

In this example, did you REALLY get "$40,000 trade in" value of your JT? Did you REALLY lose just $5,000 on your JT? No. In this case, on paper you show a $5000 loss, but in reality, you lost $15,000, as the actual value given for your JT was only $30,000. (actual cost of the Ford was JT at $30k + $10k cash = $40,000 true cost of the Ford)

It's like I said, just hearing that someone got "$40,000 trade value" (for example) or "traded it for $5000 less than I paid for it", may not be a true indicator of how much they actually "lost" on their JT since purchase. In a "trade-in" situation, we cannot say without knowing the specific values in play.
Kent speaks the truth.

Its the bottom line that matters.....always attack them with the bottom line number first, then whip out the trade. :)
Sponsored