First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
It's exactly 37, once the low threshold is tripped. But then it can do down 5 or 6 below that before it comes back on again. So whenever the warning comes on, to make it go off you have to get back up to recommended pressure. Then it can go down several psi below that before the warning comes back on
I see, yea, I was wondering why it hadn't bug me earlier...And it started after I went on the beach at 15#'s two weeks ago...I guess I'll have to bring it to 37 for a while.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As stated earlier, 37 PSI and a start cycle will turn off all the TPMS warning. The warning will return as soon as 1 tire hits 29PSI.
Yep I get it now -Thanks! Got kicked off when I went to the beach.

Reactions: JT1

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The TPMS notice is not as bad as a backup camera because the notice is most likely driven by liability concerns.

In contrast, back up cameras are MANDATED by federal new car "safety" standards.
Both TPMS & back-up cameras are federally mandated.

Kevin

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Not quite.

Part of personal choice is deciding on whether systems like this should be present and active in a vehicle that we purchase.

The TPMS notice is not as bad as a backup camera because the notice is most likely driven by liability concerns.

In contrast, back up cameras are MANDATED by federal new car "safety" standards.
It's all about liability. A strong case can be made for backup cameras. Nearly all of us have backed up a little too far and given a "love tap" to something behind us. No big deal if insurance doesn't get involved. It becomes a real big deal when you hit a child you don't see.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It's all about liability. A strong case can be made for backup cameras. Nearly all of us have backed up a little too far and given a "love tap" to something behind us. No big deal if insurance doesn't get involved. It becomes a real big deal when you hit a child you don't see.
Also, with backup cameras, older cars didn't really need them as much. As beltlines have gotten higher, visibility has gotten worse, even on sedans. But beltlines got higher to meet increasing safety standards. So then we had cars that were safer in accidents, but difficult to see out of, putting those around the car at increased risk. Backup cameras helped to solve that problem while still keeping up with safety standards. Look how high the trunk is on a modern sedan, compared to one even from the 90s.

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Also, with backup cameras, older cars didn't really need them as much. As beltlines have gotten higher, visibility has gotten worse, even on sedans. But beltlines got higher to meet increasing safety standards. So then we had cars that were safer in accidents, but difficult to see out of, putting those around the car at increased risk. Backup cameras helped to solve that problem while still keeping up with safety standards. Look how high the trunk is on a modern sedan, compared to one even from the 90s.
Absolutely agree. Even with lower beltlines I managed to back up into a parked truck and crease my trunk one time (and I am someone who is typically very aware of my surroundings). I don't like the auto mirrors that point downward when you put it in reverse as I prefer to use mirrors to back up.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
So after 5 months I've settled on a target 33-34 PSI tire pressure-cold (vs the 37 speced for Mojave)...This induces a tiny yellow symbol on the dash whitch indicates your tires are low (ok not too bad), then in one of the screens you can choose on the steering wheel control I really like that I can see the exact pressure for each tire...However, yet another warning is shown in large English that you are running low and need to fix it.

Trying to keep tire pressure constant at 37 is a fools errand, they say a good rule of thumb is every 10 degrees in temp., changes it 1 PSI. That happens every day between morning and afternoon here this time of year. The second warning is redundant and a Nany state overkill.

Is there any way to get rid of this ridiculous large warning? If not does anyone know at what pressure exactly the warning will go away on Mojave (eg, maybe 35, 36)? And if it goes away at 37 only, does another new "too high warning" start at 38?
The Jeep dealership inflates mine to 38 and they routinely rise to 40-41 while driving. Gladiator Overland, Goodyear Wrangler Radial 255/70R18

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jscan can take care of the problem. I am using it with mine.
There are settings for high and low thresholds.

Amazing how some blast that which they don't understand or can't figure out instead of adjusting it to the pressures required for the current tires.

JSCAN (or AlfaOBD or Tazer or whatever your favorite configuration tool is)

I don't like the auto mirrors that point downward when you put it in reverse as I prefer to use mirrors to back up.
Then turn that feature off.

The way idiots around here drive and walk in parking lots - that camera is almost a must.

TPMS - modern vehicle don't react or act the same way as others did when there was a low tire. You can drive on a tire that's so low it's destroying the sidewall before you feel it in some circumstances.
Thankfully my Chevy alerted me to a low tire - it dropped to 22 psi while driving, but the truck felt and handled fine. I'd have not gone much farther - big screw in the tire. TPMS saved the day.
People just don't try to think of all of the possible scenarios or situations where something can be useful - maybe not today, maybe not even next month - but there could be a time it prevents something worse than a ding or light on the dash from happening.

BTW - federal laws say that certain entities can't disable or cause to no longer function said devices and systems.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Read up on the Taser. It will fix you PSI warning and soooo much more.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I've been meaning to jscan or tazer mine to 34 psi for months now. Still haven't gotten around to it.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There are settings for high and low thresholds.

Amazing how some blast that which they don't understand or can't figure out instead of adjusting it to the pressures required for the current tires.
LOL...I hope that wasn't directed at me...Just in case, let me educate you: Simple, 1) we ask because it isn't in the manual (as far as I recall and I read the entire thing, i could have forgot what I read - i don't have a 100% perfect memory), 2) we don't want to use the specked poundaged because a tweak works better for some of us - the MO may have some Nanny-State attributes but that doesn't mean I have to follow it -lol, 3) we "blast" because it takes the banal and makes it fun...You should be able to figure out the 3 point above on your own, it is a lot easier than figuring out jeeps tire pressure warning algorithm - LOL!

I have to remember there are some here who take offense to even the slightest and tiniest criticism of the Jeep design even when made in jest. -LOL!
Sponsored

Last edited: