Sponsored

Near Death Experiences

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Haha... there was a time when my wife came home, looked in the garage, then walked off without saying a word. I was counting the seconds I had left to live.

(Bought a Harley without telling her)
Wow, I did this exact thing, except I bought a brand new sport bike.
She looked at it, got in the car and drove off.

My live by model. "Its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission"
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Wow, I did this exact thing, except I bought a brand new sport bike.
She looked at it, got in the car and drove off.

My live by model. "Its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission"
If you live long enough to beg, that is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Unless it's over about a grand, my wife usually says "well if you want it, why don't you order it?"
More than that and we talk about it, but then she knows what her multiple sewing and embroidery machines costs, and the computer-control setup she got for her big quilting machine costs. You guys have less in your lift than she's got in that thing.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Haha... there was a time when my wife came home, looked in the garage, then walked off without saying a word. I was counting the seconds I had left to live.

(Bought a Harley without telling her)
LOL!
My wife made me buy a newer Harley (Gotta love her) with ABS because I tail wipped the old one when the car in front of me locked them up for some reason. Never saw what caused the lock up.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I competed in AMA National Desert Racing for thirty years on dirt bikes, so lots of near death experiences from that, and one expensive ride on a Life Flight helicopter.

The near death experience that stands out though, was not at a desert race. Me and a few desert racing friends were at Sand Mountain Utah with our dirt bikes. We decided it would be fun to jump the razorback, which is the long dune that goes from bottom to the top of the mountain, and splits one hill climb section from another. One of my friends started trying to jump it by climbing 2/3 of the mountain on the west side, then cutting east, across the face of the hill, and over the razorback to the east side of the hill. He wasn't hitting it fast enough to completely clear the razorback at the top, and was still landing on the top of the dune, then riding down the east side of the mountain. My other friend started trying the same thing, and wasn't clearing the top of the dune either. I watched them for several minutes, and it looked like they were trying it in third gear, so I decided to try it in 4th gear. Well, it turns out they were trying it in 2nd gear, so when I tried it I was going two gears faster. I remember launching off of that dune and flying past the top of the razorback, and looking down and seeing the face of sand mountain at least 40 feet below me, and dropping fast, while my trajectory was still going up and away from the mountain. I was in the air so long that I had lost all forward trajectory, an my trajectory for the last half of the jump was straight down. The only thing that saved me was that the landing was on a steep downhill slope, so I didn't splat like a bub on a windshield. The impact was still hard enough that the rebound from landing shot me back up into the air for another 30 feet. I couldn't control the landing from that second jump, and actually slid the bike in on its side before coming to a stop. When I got to the bottom of the hill my friends came running up to me hooting and hollering, and asking me to do it again. I was shaking so hard I couldn't stand, and the bike fell over with me still sitting on it. We estimated the distance from take off to impact was ~ 500 feet.

Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Yeah, I too was a moron for my first couple years of driving. I got my S-Class license in Gran Turismo 2 around the same time I was allowed to drive solo. That was a bad combination. :CWL:

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
How about every time I exited the aircraft as an Airborne Infantry soldier? None of my jumps were into a combat zone, but still...

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
How about every time I exited the aircraft as an Airborne Infantry soldier? None of my jumps were into a combat zone, but still...
Yeah, jumping out of a perfectly good flying airplane definitely counts, especially with a chute you didn't pack yourself.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Like I always tell people, you haven't lived until you've had a Uhaul van airborne. :)

That’s right. I always ask “what’s the difference between a rental car and a built 4x4?”

Answer: the rental car will go anywhere.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, jumping out of a perfectly good flying airplane definitely counts, especially with a chute you didn't pack yourself.
There is no such thing as a PERFECTLY good airplane - especially in the military!

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Unless it's over about a grand, my wife usually says "well if you want it, why don't you order it?"
More than that and we talk about it, but then she knows what her multiple sewing and embroidery machines costs, and the computer-control setup she got for her big quilting machine costs. You guys have less in your lift than she's got in that thing.
I've come home with a new 911, Christ Craft, etc, etc, etc. I did bring home a Miata and a Panamera unexpectedly also but they were for my wife! :CWL:

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Nice to see everyone being honest regarding the stupid things you've done. I've never done anything stupid...NOT!

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
As far as near death - more than a few. Mostly related to fast vehicles. There was the near head-on collision in a friends souped up Camaro with us traveling in excess of 100 mph. The full 360 spin on a bridge to our barrier island doing about 90 again as a teenager. The time we skipped school and were jumping waves in the Gulf of Mexico in a little speed boat and proceeded to crack the hull. It was about then that we realized we were also almost out of gas and almost out of site of land. With no radio and pre-cell phones. Then there was the coma from viral encephalitis.

Ah the memories...

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Goodness. where the fuck do you want me to start?? 8 years as a cop in a major metro area- quit that and went to the military; now the last 13+ in special operations as an operator.... paraglider. Skydiver. Diver diver. Race car driver license. Motorcycle rider. Second marriage.

Death and I have coffee every morning to discuss the day’s schedule and possible appointment times, and i send him a lot of referrals. We’re on a cordial first name basis but he does like to fuck with me from time to time just to get a rise out of me.

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Like I always tell people, you haven't lived until you've had a Uhaul van airborne. :)
I've re-ached the frames to get the alignment back into spec and wondered how the hell that happened.....I have my answer after 22 years of wondering! :CWL:
Sponsored