Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Not impressed by the “new” Defender. The “new” Bronco will have the same issues too. What are some of those issues?
  1. One wheel in the air while the others jerk and stumble over the obstacles, ala IFS
  2. Uncomfortable maxed out air-ride suspension
  3. Limited after market support means costly upgrades...eventually this will come down but it will take years
  4. Limited dealer support (Bronco excepted)
  5. Limited mechanical expertise when out on the trail
  6. Trail damage will be expensive
Really it comes to keeping all 4 tires on the trail. As seen in this, and many other videos, if you don’t mind waiting for the on-board nannies to figure out what to do, while your foot is planted on the throttle, then this might for you.
[/
Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It will be for the "wanna show my friends I spent $80k for a mall crawler" crowd.

Not knocking it for its capabilities when needed, but let's be honest, mall crawler...oh, and my JTR doesn't have a scratch...

IMG_1001.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
I don't understand posts like yours. 90% of the people who buy Jeeps don't take them on anything worse than a gravel road. This Defender, as an every day driver would be 100% nicer and more refined to drive than our Jeep. As a bonus it is also very capable off road.
I've owned lots of higher end vehicles and I appreciate the fit, finish and refinement from an expense ride.

To each their own. If you think a Defender is a waste of money I can tell you there is more than a few people who have questioned why I'm into my fully loaded, lifted, 37" JT for over $70k.....

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The guy on the Dirt Lifestyle YouTube channel has an older Discovery. He liked it so much, he's putting 1-ton axles on it. That's a lot of work, but I suppose one would have the best of both worlds: really nice, comfy cabin and ultimate off-road capability. Does anyone build something like that new?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand posts like yours. 90% of the people who buy Jeeps don't take them on anything worse than a gravel road. This Defender, as an every day driver would be 100% nicer and more refined to drive than our Jeep. As a bonus it is also very capable off road.
I've owned lots of higher end vehicles and I appreciate the fit, finish and refinement from an expense ride.

To each their own. If you think a Defender is a waste of money I can tell you there is more than a few people who have questioned why I'm into my fully loaded, lifted, 37" JT for over $70k.....
I don’t understand posts like yours. Seems obvious you didn’t do your homework before buying a JTR, having over $70k into your rig, and not understanding anything about my post, clearly shows me that you’re a defender of the mall crawler class.

Prove me wrong...

Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I don’t understand posts like yours. Seems obvious you didn’t do your homework before buying a JTR, having over $70k into your rig, and not understanding anything about my post, clearly shows me that you’re a defender of the mall crawler class.

Prove me wrong...
Do my homework? What you talking about son? I knew exactly what I was buying....point is a lot of other people thought it was a waste of money, much like you and the Defender.
Funny you take shots at the Mall Crawler crowd as you collect those shiny little badges for your Jeep. Almost like you're compensating for something, prove me wrong.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) is like most every other vehicle. Own a Porsche, Corvette or whatever and you can't take much more than your honey and a sack lunch with you... but then again, there are perks. You get a lot of honeys... A Jeep is pretty much the same unless you either live in a rural area and require its capabilities, or go frequently to rural areas. My dad would say it's a lot of sugar for a cent... and in many ways dad was right. So is the poster who said Jeeps are usually Mall Crawlers that never get in the dirt, and perhaps he's correct also, but then I looked at my accumulated wealth and realized I can can afford pretty much whatever Mall Crawler I want.

Just Sayin' See you at the mall

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
When it comes to trails.... It's a Pretender not a Defender.
Nice Quote ! Personally, I think the issue is when they take a "vintage vehicle name" that had a certain off road function, following, purpose, & mystic...., then, use that same "name" to create something very different ---- and say it is the same thing.... People get disappointed and say - "Well, it does not do this or that off road as well...". They set themselves up for this critique. Maybe they should have said "Defender II (2) ".

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
As with the Blazer, don't name it unless you mean it.

At least the Mustang II was named differently to the real thing.....

Nice Quote ! Personally, I think the issue is when they take a "vintage vehicle name" that had a certain off road function, following, purpose, & mystic...., then, use that same "name" to create something very different ---- and say it is the same thing.... People get disappointed and say - "Well, it does not do this or that off road as well...". They set themselves up for this critique. Maybe they should have said "Defender II (2) ".

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
I for sure will keep my 1997 Defender over the new one.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
When it comes to trails.... It's a Pretender not a Defender.
That’s clever, but is it? Have you done Red Cone? I have. It’s a tough trail. My stock JKU Rubicon struggled just as much.
Sponsored