Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah he drove it and told me, yeah, it pulls like hell. Dont matter where your driving. I was like yeah believe me, i know, ive tried different lanes, road conditions etc.

He has up on the rack now to inspect some more. Ill keep yall updated. Im glad I actually got to talk to this tech in person.
All I can say is - YAY! And KUDOS to that tech.
Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
All I can say is - YAY! And KUDOS to that tech.
Update 2 on today's visit:

Update again for today. Their master tech, was a pleasure to work with. He drove it after aligning himself, and checking everything. It drives better than it was for sure, but the right pull is still there a bit, and he even told me that. He went over all the alignment settings he did etc. He said nothing about my truck should cause it to pull like that. He stated he is going to try to talk to the Service manager and get me another gear ordered as there is nothing that should be causing that.

Now I just wait on them to call me and see if it gets approved.

This is one of their FCA master techs, and he said the alignment was like crap. (just had it done a few days ago by one of their other techs). Now hopefully he can get them convinced that what he and I agree on with it not being anything on the truck.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Anyone have the link, file or PDF for the newest TSB on this issue? Apparently the newest TSB is 08-074-20 REV. F

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
That gauge is a joke. I can turn far more than 2 degrees before it even says I've turned. I can be taking a curve on the highway and it says I'm going straight and yet my steering wheel is NOT horizontal. It's not accurate at all. I even did a test with it sitting in my garage and got to about 4 degrees before it said 2 instead of 0. I could not believe how INaccurate it was after I did that test in my garage actually measuring compared to what the gauge said. I'd be going straight and it would still show 2 degrees and only show 0 after I turned the other way and back again.
It's not steering wheel angle, it's the steering angle of your tires. 360 deg of wheel input = 22 deg of steering angle. At highway speeds you will rarely hit 1 deg of steering angle; any more than that and you'll be in the weeds or rolled. Even for off-road I can't imagine why you would need better precision than, say, 5 deg. Hell, I'm not even sure why you need it at all -- the only time I look at it is to make sure I've gone back to straight (and not off by a full steering wheel turn) when I've been doing really tight manuevering. That said, mine appears to be accurate and very consistant with no hysteresis whatsoever (with the new box.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's not steering wheel angle, it's the steering angle of your tires. 360 deg of wheel input = 22 deg of steering angle. At highway speeds you will rarely hit 1 deg of steering angle; any more than that and you'll be in the weeds or rolled. Even for off-road I can't imagine why you would need better precision than, say, 5 deg. Hell, I'm not even sure why you need it at all -- the only time I look at it is to make sure I've gone back to straight (and not off by a full steering wheel turn) when I've been doing really tight manuevering. That said, mine appears to be accurate and very consistant with no hysterisis whatsoever.
Yes, I realize that but at the steering wheel angles I was experimenting with that thing should have reacted. .
It's not a complaint, it's not that I feel accuracy is needed - it's more of a "if that's all the better they can do, what's the point?

Did you calculate that for the steering ratio of the JT box? It will vary with the steering gear used. The wrangler gear has a different ratio than the JT gear.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Yes, I realize that but at the steering wheel angles I was experimenting with that thing should have reacted. .
It's not a complaint, it's not that I feel accuracy is needed - it's more of a "if that's all the better they can do, what's the point?
I agree that if it is displaying accuracy to 1 deg, it should, indeed, be that accurate (and mine appears to be.) What I really want to know is why anyone needs to know the steering angle to that precision. Just seems like it's there for the novelty and for that reason is sort of a joke, to your point. lf they limited the read-out to 5 deg increments, would anyone be demanding better precision? If so, for what purpose?

Did you calculate that for the steering ratio of the JT box? It will vary with the steering gear used. The wrangler gear has a different ratio than the JT gear.
I didn't have to calculate anything. I turned the wheel a full turn and it consistantly says 22 degs (in either direction.) That's >16 deg of steering wheel input to get 1 deg of steering angle. At full lock steering angle was thirty-something (~35 deg). I didn't get out a protracter, but looking at the tires and turning to a small angle, it appears to be correct and consistant.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Got mine back this morning after a TSB service (and oil change + rotation).

Immediate thoughts: drives better, tighter, less wander. I know we usually talk about the issue at highway speed, but I tend to notice it more at lower speeds and around town. Today felt much better.

I couldn't tell at first if I was sensing a very slight left pull, but after testing on a few different roads I think it was in my head.

What is *not* in my head is the steering wheel. Center/straight is now slightly turned to the left and drives my OCD brain crazy. I also suspect this is what gets in my head and makes me think it has a pull. Iirc truing the steering wheel is pretty easy (loosen some bolts underneath, rotate, tighten). So I may do this myself rather than take it back in.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine back this morning after a TSB service (and oil change + rotation).

Immediate thoughts: drives better, tighter, less wander. I know we usually talk about the issue at highway speed, but I tend to notice it more at lower speeds and around town. Today felt much better.

I couldn't tell at first if I was sensing a very slight left pull, but after testing on a few different roads I think it was in my head.

What is *not* in my head is the steering wheel. Center/straight is now slightly turned to the left and drives my OCD brain crazy. I also suspect this is what gets in my head and makes me think it has a pull. Iirc truing the steering wheel is pretty easy (loosen some bolts underneath, rotate, tighten). So I may do this myself rather than take it back in.
If it is a pull you will know it. You can set the truck to straight no matter how the steering wheel is turned and it will pull. If you can set the truck to drive straight and it stays, then it is not a pull

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got a call from the dealership. Gear box number 2 is there and I take it back tomorrow morning to be done by the tech I was working with / talking to yesterday.

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hey all; The TSB clearly states 2020 models. (sorry for not reading the 190 previous pages) but is this just for 2020's or 2021's as well?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a call from the dealership. Gear box number 2 is there and I take it back tomorrow morning to be done by the tech I was working with / talking to yesterday.
I hope that you finally got a tech and/or advisor who put all preconceived notions out of their head, drove it - and put 2 and 2 together. I was very happy when I got the call that they "needed to replace" my steering gear - even though it was the new steel box.
These people need to temper experience with an open mind and some basic troubleshooting - it didn't pull before, now it does, so what changed...........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all; The TSB clearly states 2020 models. (sorry for not reading the 190 previous pages) but is this just for 2020's or 2021's as well?
Some dealers my not agree with me on this - but taking into account the fact that the replacement gear to resolve problems is the same part number that comes out on the 2021 from the factory - and that there are several DOCUMENTED cases of the 2021 part number having issues with PULL and/or WANDERING, they should accept that if WE got defective new gear boxes, so could the 2021 models, especially the first few months.

It's awfully tempting to come out of retirement and try for a job on the STAR team........ LOL

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some dealers my not agree with me on this - but taking into account the fact that the replacement gear to resolve problems is the same part number that comes out on the 2021 from the factory - and that there are several DOCUMENTED cases of the 2021 part number having issues with PULL and/or WANDERING, they should accept that if WE got defective new gear boxes, so could the 2021 models, especially the first few months.

It's awfully tempting to come out of retirement and try for a job on the STAR team........ LOL

I agree on this one, BUT I would say good luck trying to get it to happen since the TSB doesnt state anything for the JT above 2020.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sitting here at the dealer for my gear #2. Ill keep updated on the saga.
Sponsored