Sponsored

New JTRD, steering wheel off center and dead spot...

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
I looked under-I've got the black steel box, I also read through and found the post with how to adjust the slop out of the system. I don't have any problem doing that, but don't want to since I've only had it 3 days. I know all steerings are different but this doesn't seem right from the factory.
Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
From the videos I'd say on a scale of 1-10 those look to be about a 7 or 8. I've definitely seen worse, but clearly that's a lot of play.

Mine is probably about a 3 or 4 and I have gotten used to it.

I don't know if this is a tolerance issue, something not being adjusted correctly before shipment, or intentional and functioning as designed. The fact that the dealerships are just as unhelpful as to why the problem exists, and the solution is just "replace it" tells me nobody really knows.

Absolutely crazy that they're still aluminum boxes being put into new vehicles (or were you just referring to older 2020's that haven't been sold yet?)

I filled out my survey for Jeep just a couple of days ago and lit them up over the steering.

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I had terrible wander on my 20 JTR with Falken MT's from the git go and never knew about the steering gearbox TSB. I assumed it was just the behavior of the solid axle and MT tires. It was so bad wife and daughter almost refused to drive it. Then after finding out about the TSB I decided it must be the gear box right? Then I got new wheels and 37x11.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 6 weeks ago. HOLY COW, the wander is completely gone! Must have been those Falken MT's right? Before even test driving it I set the Nittos tire pressure to 29 based on a forum guy's chalk test. So I never experienced them with a lot of pressure. Well last week I had the Glad oil changed and the dealer pumped my tires back up to 40lbs, thank you very much. The thing wandered all over the road worse than ever with the Falkens, it was literally like the steering was loose. I ran the pressure back down to 29 and it goes straight as an arrow. I'm 100% convinced that many people don't have a bad gear box. You hear a lot who say the replacement fixed their problem, and a lot who say it made minor difference. Try lower tire pressure... it makes a huge difference.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Mine had the tires at 47 psi... Dropped to 38 and it drive really nice now (considering its a rubicon on MS tires).
Steering wheel is still off center, i talked to my selling dealer in FL (i now live in CO) and they said to take it to my local dealer (has 700 miles now), worst case if they charge me for the alignment the selling dealer will reimburse me.
I looked under-I've got the black steel box, I also read through and found the post with how to adjust the slop out of the system. I don't have any problem doing that, but don't want to since I've only had it 3 days. I know all steerings are different but this doesn't seem right from the factory.
From the videos I'd say on a scale of 1-10 those look to be about a 7 or 8. I've definitely seen worse, but clearly that's a lot of play.

Mine is probably about a 3 or 4 and I have gotten used to it.

I don't know if this is a tolerance issue, something not being adjusted correctly before shipment, or intentional and functioning as designed. The fact that the dealerships are just as unhelpful as to why the problem exists, and the solution is just "replace it" tells me nobody really knows.

Absolutely crazy that they're still aluminum boxes being put into new vehicles (or were you just referring to older 2020's that haven't been sold yet?)

I filled out my survey for Jeep just a couple of days ago and lit them up over the steering.
Sorry for the delay here everyone! We would like to dig into these steering concerns further to see were we can assist. If anyone would like assistance, please separately message our team with more details. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All I would get it taken care of as quickly as possible. I had new steel box installed last year, and it was wonderful.

2 weeks ago I was on a road trip and the wheel had a good amount of play (first video). Called and the dealer couldn't get me in with a loaner for a little while. It got increasingly worse, and when I called and explained the situation they got me in. The second video is on the way to the dealer to be investigate

d. They have now ordered a new box and are awaiting the part to come in.

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
All I would get it taken care of as quickly as possible. I had new steel box installed last year, and it was wonderful.

2 weeks ago I was on a road trip and the wheel had a good amount of play (first video). Called and the dealer couldn't get me in with a loaner for a little while. It got increasingly worse, and when I called and explained the situation they got me in. The second video is on the way to the dealer to be investigate

d. They have now ordered a new box and are awaiting the part to come in.
WOW! That first video.

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Update from my side...
Dealer aligned the steering wheel, it's not perfect but it's no longer something where visually the wheel is off to the side.

I did not say anything about the play in the steering wheel because i though it was aceptable... But they adjusted and now basically there is no play.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Update on my part. I did have the steering looked at by the dealer a week ago. Typical dealer setup an appointment and when I got there they said they had 16 cars come in yesterday and itā€™s going to take a few days.

They drove almost 40 miles, agreed that yes, there is excessive play in the steering, it doesnā€™t seem right but since the newer steering box is installed correctly and there is nothing missing thereā€™s nothing they can do. Just a frustrating waste of time really. They said if thereā€™s a tsb for these ones they will let me know but being on the forum Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll know as soon as the service managers do

I have dropped the cold psi to 34 and usually run @ 36-38 when warm. I havenā€™t noticed any difference with the tire pressures.

Anyone else have any luck?

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Update on my part. I did have the steering looked at by the dealer a week ago. Typical dealer setup an appointment and when I got there they said they had 16 cars come in yesterday and itā€™s going to take a few days.

They drove almost 40 miles, agreed that yes, there is excessive play in the steering, it doesnā€™t seem right but since the newer steering box is installed correctly and there is nothing missing thereā€™s nothing they can do. Just a frustrating waste of time really. They said if thereā€™s a tsb for these ones they will let me know but being on the forum Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll know as soon as the service managers do

I have dropped the cold psi to 34 and usually run @ 36-38 when warm. I havenā€™t noticed any difference with the tire pressures.

Talk to @JeepCares. Mine has the black box and it needed adjustment. Just because it has the black box does not mean its right. Maybe a new dealer.

Funny, or not, how I went in for an alignment and they also fixed the steering box play as a bonus, your went in for the steering box play and they did not fix it.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Talk to @JeepCares. Mine has the black box and it needed adjustment. Just because it has the black box does not mean its right. Maybe a new dealer.

Funny, or not, how I went in for an alignment and they also fixed the steering box play as a bonus, your went in for the steering box play and they did not fix it.
Thanks for tagging us here, AEsco48.

We'd be happy to discuss these concerns with you further, 02sahara. Send our team a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 6 weeks ago. HOLY COW, the wander is completely gone! Must have been those Falken MT's right? Before even test driving it I set the Nittos tire pressure to 29 based on a forum guy's chalk test.
Whoa - 29psi? I have Ridge Grapplers and with the E-rating, the max PSI is 65 so running at 29psi. seems way too low. Doesn't it bounce like Tigger at 29psi? Being that this is a hybrid tire, I thought you were supposed to run them a bit higher on the street to keep the contact patch in the center mostly. Guess I have a lot to learn on this subject still!

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Second update-I spoke with Jeep Cares and opened a case on my steering. I ended up taking it to a much more forward and honest dealer here in my area. They were ontime, responsive and very helpful. They ended up changing out the new 2021 correct sttering box for another one that works great. The steering is on center, no wandering and no "slop" in the center of the wheel. Thanks Jeep Cares for helping and if your steering is loose, don't give up with a crappy dealer.
Sponsored