Sponsored

New Shocks

Brucewillys

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rick
Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
119
Reaction score
93
Location
Hancock NH
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Merchandising
It's just that ride quality is extremely subjective from person to person.

I found the overall control the 5100 provided to be great, but they were too stiff on initial impact. The truck was just too damn rough over ridges, cracks, busted asphalt, broken expansion joints, etc. I thought the 5100s were great through dips and smoother, deeper, impacts if that makes sense. But the digressive nature made them awful over small imperfections (in my opinion).

I would never tell anyone to not get 5100s as they are high quality and work well, but I'll say that they are the right shock for some people, and not for others.

My RS9000XL's have been much more comfortable on our roads and I can still crank them up to take out sway and reduce bounce with heavier loads.

I have a sports car - I don't need my truck to ride like one.
I must say the 5100's are stiff. For me it's exactly what I wanted, 37" c rated tires on my big heavy gladiator is perfect. The stock willys shocks were way to soft especially when off-road. These are so nice and stiff I'm debating trying no sway bar.
Sponsored

 

ChrisNLA

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 7, 2022
Threads
22
Messages
3,137
Reaction score
5,897
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I must say the 5100's are stiff. For me it's exactly what I wanted, 37" c rated tires on my big heavy gladiator is perfect. The stock willys shocks were way to soft especially when off-road. These are so nice and stiff I'm debating trying no sway bar.
They definitely have their place :)
 

WhereInTarnation

Well-Known Member
First Name
Roger
Joined
Nov 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
62
Reaction score
75
Location
RV
Vehicle(s)
2025 Gladiator, 2022 Chevrolet 3500DRW
Occupation
IT Geek
Not even sure I would / could rebuilt them and really want a remote reservoir shock. Would like to get the Bilstein shocks that come with the mopar lift now but not sure you can buy them separately without buying the whole lift kit again.?
If no other way, Clayton sells them, it's where I got mine. I love them personally.
 
OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

Well-Known Member
First Name
Todd
Joined
Jul 26, 2020
Threads
107
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
1,905
Location
Michigan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
1
If no other way, Clayton sells them, it's where I got mine. I love them personally.
You got the Bilsteins 5160's from Clayton that come with teh mopar lift?
 

WhereInTarnation

Well-Known Member
First Name
Roger
Joined
Nov 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
62
Reaction score
75
Location
RV
Vehicle(s)
2025 Gladiator, 2022 Chevrolet 3500DRW
Occupation
IT Geek
You got the Bilsteins 5160's from Clayton that come with teh mopar lift?
They’re the same 5160’s. Bilstein doesn’t custom valve the 5160’s, just specs the various lengths. I don’t doubt they’re available places like Northridge also, as they’re a big Bilstein dealer
 
OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

Well-Known Member
First Name
Todd
Joined
Jul 26, 2020
Threads
107
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
1,905
Location
Michigan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
1
They’re the same 5160’s. Bilstein doesn’t custom valve the 5160’s, just specs the various lengths. I don’t doubt they’re available places like Northridge also, as they’re a big Bilstein dealer
I think the Mopar ones are based on a special length as looking at the fox 2.5's collapsed and extended lengths seem to fall somewhere in-between the the lengths of the Bilstein 5160's with 2-3" of lift and 3-4.5 inch of lift.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored

 
 







Top