First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I doubt the recall will cover anything beyond replacement of the pressure plate, if even that. I suspect disc replacement and any machining will be our costs. And although my clutch is working fine, I'm not sure I want to push the issue to the point where the disc is significantly worn considering the consequences could be a completely burned-out truck and, well, death.
Your apprehension is valid, but it is likely that the entire clutch and pressure plate will be replaced considering that the heat is likely a result of extreme friction, and thus wear.
https://[Banned Site]/recall-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-recalled-for-possible-clutch-fires/
• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 13 CAIRS and 13 field reports related to this issue.

• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 35 warranty claims related to this issue.

• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of one minor injury related to this issue.
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I wonder what the “minor injury” was...

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Your apprehension is valid, but it is likely that the entire clutch and pressure plate will be replaced considering that the heat is likely a result of extreme friction, and thus wear.
https://[Banned Site]/recall-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-recalled-for-possible-clutch-fires/
• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 13 CAIRS and 13 field reports related to this issue.

• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 35 warranty claims related to this issue.

• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of one minor injury related to this issue.

Hope you are right, and you probably are. (BTW, your link is blocked -- "Banned Site".)

I've seen postings of the full, multi-page recall notice that mention both the pressure plate and disc, but when I go to NHTSA.gov and put in my VIN, I get a summary that only mentions the pressure plate. Remedy is inspection and replacement of components "as needed." In my usual pessimism, I assume if there is no sign of over-heating, nothing will be replaced (for free.)

Mar 03,2020
Manufacturer Recall NumberW12
NHTSA Recall Number20V-124
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
SummaryIn some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

Safety RiskIf the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

RemedyFCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
I'm going to weigh in on this. There are all ways a few bumps in the road with a new line of vehicle being released. We as consumers all know this( or should). That being said this is my first "NEW" Jeep/ Vehicle. through the years i have owned probably 12 different jeeps and maybe as many other 4x4's. I have had pintos to 18 wheeler s. But when i spend 50K on a Brand new JEEP and it has been in the shop 82 of the 141 days i have owned it. AND ITS GOING BACK TODAY because of the same issues. Yes FCA needs to correct it.

Sponsored

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
I hate that I even need to type this. 5,000 miles on the brand-new Rubicon JT and here are all the problems I have.

Transmission: I honestly have never driven such a bad shifting tranny. Most notably when coming to a stop or cruising around 19mph. The jeep down shifts extremely harsh, to a point where it jerks you forward. From 2nd to 1st it feels like it holds on too long then drops into 1st, clunks, and then surges forward. This makes it almost impossible to come to a stop smoothly. The rough shifting gets better as the jeep warms up but is always noticeable. It feels like both a programming and mechanical issue. Thoughts?

Start-up: Each time I start it up it sounds different. Sometimes it sounds normal other times it sounds harsh. At times it sounds like a bracket is lose and rattles. Very odd behavior for a brand new truck.

Steering: Not going to touch too much on this as there already enough threads on it but I do have a 2-3” dead zone in the wheel and it wanders a bit. At highway speeds it oddly seems better, less input, than going around 30mph.

Center console screen: The screen randomly will change brightness. Sometimes it will not let me manually change the brightness with the scroll. I’ve also noticed that when I turn my wipers on it will change the brightness to brightest.

Heater/AC: Like many others mine blows hot air until the engine warms up.

I love this truck but very disappointed with FCA.
In my JTLE I can’t even hear my engine start!
My 8 speed auto is the best auto tranny I’ve ever experienced... best on highway, best in traffic, best off-road!
My Uconnect is also best system I’ve ever had!
Steering is much better than my 20 year old TJ Golden Eagle (which I love anyway!)
Best ride, best drive, best MPH, best sound sys.
No issues whatsoever! 8500 miles!
LOVE THIS TRUCK! ;{

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to weigh in on this. There are all ways a few bumps in the road with a new line of vehicle being released. We as consumers all know this( or should). That being said this is my first "NEW" Jeep/ Vehicle. through the years i have owned probably 12 different jeeps and maybe as many other 4x4's. I have had pintos to 18 wheeler s. But when i spend 50K on a Brand new JEEP and it has been in the shop 82 of the 141 days i have owned it. AND ITS GOING BACK TODAY because of the same issues. Yes FCA needs to correct it.
You deserve better, and I certainly would suggest threat of legal action if there is not a remedy available in the immediate future.
In my JTLE I can’t even hear my engine start!
My 8 speed auto is the best auto tranny I’ve ever experienced... best on highway, best in traffic, best off-road!
My Uconnect is also best system I’ve ever had!
Steering is much better than my 20 year old TJ Golden Eagle (which I love anyway!)
Best ride, best drive, best MPH, best sound sys.
No issues whatsoever! 8500 miles!
LOVE THIS TRUCK! ;{
I believe most people feel this way. We hear of complaints, and those snowball. Before you know it, the perception is that all Jeeps are pieces of crap. If this was the case, FCA would not be able to stay in business.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The JT is my first Jeep and I was a little bit hesitant about the reliability going into the purchase, especially with it being a first year model and all. But decided to take the chance, and I'm now at 9K miles and (knock wood) have not had any issues apart from a few rattles in the hard top after going on rough roads and I've been able to resolve all of those. So far, it's performed near perfectly.

I feel for the OP and others who are having issues though; nothing worse than spending a big chunk of change on a new vehicle and having to take it back and forth to the dealer. Been there.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
UPDATE... FCA has decided after my Jeep being in the shop 84 out of 121 days for the same issue they are going to buy it back from me. Now to see what the offer is.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
UPDATE... FCA has decided after my Jeep being in the shop 84 out of 121 days for the same issue they are going to buy it back from me. Now to see what the offer is.
Good news. I can't recall if you said what the issue was?

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
The JT is my first Jeep and I was a little bit hesitant about the reliability going into the purchase, especially with it being a first year model and all. But decided to take the chance, and I'm now at 9K miles and (knock wood) have not had any issues apart from a few rattles in the hard top after going on rough roads and I've been able to resolve all of those. So far, it's performed near perfectly.

I feel for the OP and others who are having issues though; nothing worse than spending a big chunk of change on a new vehicle and having to take it back and forth to the dealer. Been there.
This is a refreshing take on the struggles that many are having with their new Jeeps. Sure beats the Wealthy Jeepers trashing and ridiculing virtually anyone who posts having issues. Thank you.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I only have a few hundred miles on mine but so far no major issues. I leave the auto climate control set at 65. I know in reality it's maintaining 70-72. More annoying than anything. Every once in a while, the digital speedometer doesn't match the analog. I've seen it off by as much as 3 MPH. Those are only issues so far. Not worth taking it in over.

When do most major issues start happening?

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired

TLife

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - Hydro Blue
Occupation
EE
I only have a few hundred miles on mine but so far no major issues. I leave the auto climate control set at 65. I know in reality it's maintaining 70-72. More annoying than anything. Every once in a while, the digital speedometer doesn't match the analog. I've seen it off by as much as 3 MPH. Those are only issues so far. Not worth taking it in over.

When do most major issues start happening?
Most issues don't start happening to most people. Reading the forums is like reading WebMD, if you don't come with the correct mindset you'll leave thinking you have lupus.
Sponsored