First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
Mine has both plug on bottom front and rear . 21 Rubicon. Super east fix to gaurd it. The 2 bottom bolts take out put small shield that folds back . It was probably seen as a flaw. But It also it is what the heck are ya doing driving the pumpkin directly over a rock kinda thing? I say they eliminated them for that reason. The Ram Diesels have Dana 60's in them and neither had drain plugs just fill plug in the diff covers had to take covers off. I changed mine refused the gaskets as they came off without and tearing or sticking.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This.

Also, I'm glad mine has the drain plugs. Pulling the cover when I don't have to sucks. For those inspecting your gears, rock on with your bad selves... but what if you find something bad? You're only slightly less screwed if you find out the hard way.

Too much metal in the flakings? Ring gear missing a tooth? Whaddya gonna do, regear it right there in the driveway? I wouldn't, and I actually did my own regear. I'm not saying inspecting your gears is a waste of time, but let's be real- it has LIMITED benefit.
You've never been a mechanic, or haven't driven that many years taking care of your own vehicles. Preventative maintenance, inspecting, has it's benefits. I've found things I would not have otherwise found by pulling the cover. And if you've ever seen a differential lock up and the damage it does, and the risk to the driver? No, you have not. I have. Things get ripped to shreds and by then even the housing is trash (and sometimes worse)

It's pretty normal for a drain plug to have a magnet on it.......right? Seems like a great pro for having a drain plug.
No, not really "normal", some have a magnet........... on the inside of the cover - a bigger magnet.

I never drain and refill, never have, never would. And I've worked on many dozens of axles/differentials over the years. You can catch things before stuff is totally trashed.
Drain plug is for the, well,........... if I said it, it would piss people off), IMO, who simply drain and refill....... why even bother?
There's a lot of stuff that could be found in the bottom of that housing.
Pull the cover, scoop out the housing, inspect things, save money. Yes, if I found bearing parts or gear parts, I would indeed stop and fix it on the spot.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Here's some info for us people with drain plugs front and rear. The rear is offset and pretty much protected, the front could get scraped up at it's center lower location (like the picture above). There's a little skid made to protect the front drain plug.
aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid.jpg
aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid.jpg

A little expensive for what it is, $50. I'm a overland and trail type and don't need a whole lot of skids like the rock guys. I'm constantly trying to keep my rigs weight down and I like this little plug skid, it's definitely not for everyone.
Got mine today. Ships with two new bolts. What should I torque them to with wet blue loctite?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Got mine today. Ships with two new bolts. What should I torque them to with wet blue loctite?
Spec is 15 ft-lbs + 20º. 25-30 ft-lbs will do though.

Attachments

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done my front yet, but my 2020 (May 2019 build) has drains on both axles. The ARB diff covers have drain plugs and dipsticks. They're heavy duty and reasonably priced.

20220207_164418.jpg