First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
So I may have missed something over the years, or I may just be blind on here. But years ago when I had my TJ(maybe some others can vouch for me with this) and was on the TJ forum all the time there was a specific section for people who were planning trips be it camping or day trips and they could post for members to tag along.

It was a great way to meet new people who are into the same hobbies and can share knowledge as well as maybe see new places if you were not familiar with places to travel to or not comfortable doing so on your own. Depending on the trip the group leader would sometimes have requirements like lockers or a certain size tire etc.

I know here we have the staging areas and trip journals but I never see anything about planning groups going out on those threads, is there no longer a place to post for people who specifically want to plan group trips for members to get together? Or is it just something that people don't do anymore? I just used to see multiple trips to multiple places back in the day on the TJ Forum almost every week.

So I'm just curious did they change the forum or is it just something that is no longer as common with people now? This was also back when I lived in CA so maybe it was more common on the West Coast than here in TN now?

Just wanted to get some of your guy's opinions or see if I'm missing something.
Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Check the staging area section on the forums, we still do it. I spend more time on the Wrangler forums because theyā€™re more active as far as trips go.

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
That a good idea as well just wish we had more on here I never see anything in the staging area
I posted an upcoming trip in the staging area here and got one gladiator, who humbly bowed out at the first obstacle of our trip. Even though 4 wranglers couldnā€™t make the trip, we still ended up with 7 or 8 that made it. Wrangler forums are much more active, even here in California. I see one gladiator for every 25 wranglers out here.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Just no that common anymore.

I agree with you. Back when I joined Jeepsunlimited.com in 1997, we had numerous meet/greets and trail rides. Us east coast guys had a yearly Tellico run called the Right Coast Run and had T-shirts made and everything. It was nice to meet like minded Jeepers from other parts of the country.

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I fell in with a BIG group on the FJforums back when I started wheeling that turned into an entire offroad club. (FJC is still my other car)....

I think people are just leery of meeting folks from the internet anymore, Tinder ruint it. šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Just no that common anymore.

I agree with you. Back when I joined Jeepsunlimited.com in 1997, we had numerous meet/greets and trail rides. Us east coast guys had a yearly Tellico run called the Right Coast Run and had T-shirts made and everything. It was nice to meet like minded Jeepers from other parts of the country.
It's just crazy to me to think that it's not as common anymore considering how popular it's become to be an "overlander" or something similar, especially with how many people want to do trips to post on YouTube? Other social media platforms. It's a bummer

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
I personally don't have Facebook or any other social media for my own personal distaste of it, but I may have to consider making some kind of Facebook account I guess just to look for groups. This was just always the place where you would find the best trips back in the day

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I'm not saying this in a negative way towards Jeep Clubs, but the ones in my area are not what I would be looking for in a club. So they are out.

There is a local guy who ran an off road shop for years that just opened a shop called the Jeep Outpost. He has some good plans for getting us together in some sense of organized chaos and planning some trail rides. I'm curious how all this will work out. I definitely support his efforts.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Could also just be that the gladiator is a lot of owners' main mode of transportation, whereas older TJ/CJs are side vehicles for fun and recreation... not nearly as fun when your primary vehicle gets major trail damage and is out of commission. Some (including myself) also just won't push it nearly as far as it's probably capable of, simple fire trails are good enough for me and don't require a group outing.

Also, cost of professional repairs has gone up, especially in the last couple years with parts and labor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I also feel like a lot of this has moved to city or area specific facebook groups.

The other day I saw a bunch of rigs start to show up to a Love's truck stop where I had filled up on snacks and diesel. They were kind of scattered throughout the pumps, parking lot, a dirt lot next door etc. and I didn't think much of it as I used it as a quick pit stop on my way up to a trail too. After being at the top for about an hour or two, I ran into the entire pack. They had arranged to meet through a Facebook group, most of them didn't know anyone else.

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Could also just be that the gladiator is a lot of owners' main mode of transportation, whereas older TJ/CJs are side vehicles for fun and recreation... not nearly as fun when your primary vehicle is out of commission. Some (including myself) also just won't push it nearly as far as it's probably capable of, simple fire trails are good enough for me and don't require a group outing.

Also, cost of professional repairs has gone up, especially in the last couple years with parts and labor.
That may be it. And I agree that costs have gone up. When I was on a TJ forum when all these trips were a lot more common it was over 10 years ago. And almost everyone that I would go with daily drove the TJ or JK that they showed up with. I'm thinking now that it's more of the actual Jeeps themselves. Newer Jeeps are far more comfortable and Ihave a lot more. Luxuries than back in the TJ days, so I'm guessing it's just caused a big change in the culture and what people actually have them for

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
In the mid-Atlantic staging area there are a handful of trips throughout the months where we have nicer weather. I have done four of them and would agree they arenā€™t widely supported. Usually only three or four Gladiators show up. Keep an eye on that area around March and you should see some pop up. I have plans to try to get a couple runs together, you are always welcome at them if it isnā€™t too far north.

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
In the mid-Atlantic staging area there are a handful of trips throughout the months where we have nicer weather. I have done four of them and would agree they arenā€™t widely supported. Usually only three or four Gladiators show up. Keep an eye on that area around March and you should see some pop up. I have plans to try to get a couple runs together, you are always welcome at them if it isnā€™t too far north.
Thanks man. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm always happy to drive for a good trip if I have the time

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Could also just be that the gladiator is a lot of owners' main mode of transportation, whereas older TJ/CJs are side vehicles for fun and recreation...
That's me - the JT is my daily driver. I got rid of 3 other vehicles to get this, so I'm down to this for me.
And usually, when there's an interstate trip coming up, it's my wife with me and she's just not a camping/off-roading person. And when I'm in my JT alone on long trips - I'm hauling a car or on my way to something, some event.

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Pierre Part, LA and then over to Florida for my nephew's wedding at Clear Water Beach (we'll stay in Sarasota)
But it won't be for trails. ........... still wouldn't mind meeting other Gladiator folks.
Sponsored