Sponsored

No running lights on trailer/camper

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
2021 Gladiator Diesel

I hooked up our 30ft trailer yesterday and realized the running lights weren’t working. All the other functions work (brake light, left, right, brake and 12v power) I hooked up our Subaru and confirmed the running lights work with that vehicle so it’s something with the jeep.

I checked the fuses under the hood that had anything labeled for trailer and they all looked fine.

I have very basic knowledge of electrical stuff but using a meter I was able to validate power to all the functions that work via the Jeep plug but the running light pin appeared to be dead.

Needless to say our 6 hour trip wasn’t fun without running lights and cameras. We had to stop at Walmart and rig up some running lights using wedding LED lights and colored tap. 🤣

We got to our destination safely and we’ll be here for two days so I would like to resolve this issue before we head back.

Any tips on what to do?

I thought I should pull the plug from the inside bumper to check the connection to the external part of the plug but beyond that I’m not sure what to check.

I appreciate any help. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find anyone to look at it for me over the holiday weekend.
Sponsored

Dakotaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Look at the back of the light plug attached to the jeep to see if the taillight wire came loose. Do the taillights work ON the Jeep? If not keep looking for a fuse.

OP
OP
vaticanvoodoo

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at the back of the light plug attached to the jeep to see if the taillight wire came loose. Do the taillights work ON the Jeep? If not keep looking for a fuse.
now that you say that the taillights did flicker on and off a couple times while we were driving. Which taillight do I look at? Not sure how to access it.

I did trace the wire from the trailer plug but I didn’t see any wires routed to the taillights.

Dakotaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
now that you say that the taillights did flicker on and off a couple times while we were driving. Which taillight do I look at? Not sure how to access it.

I did trace the wire from the trailer plug but I didn’t see any wires routed to the taillights.
I have not looked at mine but the trailer plug probably has it's own separate wires running to it, and not going through the taillights. The wire at the plug should be held tight with a screw I assume. It sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere, and I would think the back of the plug would be the most likely... If you don't have one buy a 12 volt test light from Walmart or any auto parts store.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vaticanvoodoo

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not looked at mine but the trailer plug probably has it's own separate wires running to it, and not going through the taillights. The wire at the plug should be held tight with a screw I assume. It sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere, and I would think the back of the plug would be the most likely... If you don't have one buy a 12 volt test light from Walmart or any auto parts store.
We have a 12 volt test, checked power to the fuses and all looks good.
Do you know if jeeps ground through the hitch? I couldn’t seem to find a definitive answer.
So far we’re at a loss.

Dakotaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
We have a 12 volt test, checked power to the fuses and all looks good.
Do you know if jeeps ground through the hitch? I couldn’t seem to find a definitive answer.
So far we’re at a loss.
Always best to run a separate ground wire. When I rented trailers a bad ground usually gave no lights or the lights that worked were doing funky stuff. Both turn signals would flash dimly instead of just the one that was supposed to be turned on. Easy and quick to run a wire with alligator clips from Jeep ground to a good ground on the trailer.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Since you already know the faulty pin, check to see if it's properly seated. Also, and I know this a PITA, trace the harness those are in and check grounding points along the way.

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom
Connect a jumper cable between jeep and trailer temporarily and see if they come on.

OP
OP
vaticanvoodoo

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have tried a separate jumper cable also to no effect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vaticanvoodoo

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know which specific fuse controls the trailer running lights?

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
F107 and F109 are left / right signal for trailer. I had a trailer that kept eating the F109 fuze.

OP
OP
vaticanvoodoo

vaticanvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE.... NOW RESOLVED... Dealer looked at it and determined the TIPM module was bad. They ordered it, got it next day and installed it and my issue is resolved. Apparently this is more common than it should be and the dealer said they've had to do several of these. If you experience any strange or random electrical issues, be sure and get it checked out, because it could cause catastrophic damage. I'm relieved in a way, because I would have been upset at myself if it was a simple fix, but it sure wasn't.

Thanks to everyone that offered help!

Bentley1

First Name
Bentley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Bright White
Occupation
Semi Retired.
Solved: Run a power wire! Ok, lots of people have this problem with the Gladiator. I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon and I tow a boat, travel trailer and a cargo trailer with it. Great truck. One of the times I was backing into the water, it was night to retrieve the boat and the lights went out. I checked all the fuses and they were fine. I searched and searched and finally discovered that the ECM module has a known issue (to us owners dealers and Jeep deny it) It shorts and the running lights stop working. I called three dealers and they all said it wasn't true, except I kept running into other owners with the same problem. No warranty coverage. There is a post in here that actually mentions putting in a new ECM and problem went away. So here is how I solved this as it is the only problem. All turn signals, brake, stoplights, flashers work fine. Just no running lights.

I have the auxilary switches on my Rubicon (could have hooked up to any power that is controlled by the Ignition) I ran a wire from the harness under the hood to the back of the truck, cut and spliced the new power to the Brown wire on the back of the trailer plug. Wire at the Factory harness side. Put it back together and now I have running lights. DO NOT try to hook it up to the taillights as if you have the LED's you can short them, and they are expensive. Just run a wire. Took me 30 minutes and I am good to go. Problem solved. Very simple solution to a very dangerous problem.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored