First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
I have a 2021 JT Rubicon ordered with Tow package. I am planning to tow after the break-in period anywhere between 3500-6000lb trailers from U-haul such as 6x12 utility trailer (hauling adv motorcycles) to a more robust 24' Airstream (rented).
What are the things would I need such as -
1) Weight distribution hitch?
2) Class III or IV? Seems like IV will be better but not sure if I ever use that range.
3) Do I need to get the new MOPAR brake controller because I thought the JTR comes with brake controller for hydraulic?
Anything else I would need to know?
Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I have a 2021 JT Rubicon ordered with Tow package. I am planning to tow after the break-in period anywhere between 3500-6000lb trailers from U-haul such as 6x12 utility trailer (hauling adv motorcycles) to a more robust 24' Airstream (rented).
2) Class III or IV? Seems like IV will be better but not sure if I ever use that range.
3) Do I need to get the new MOPAR brake controller because I thought the JTR comes with brake controller for hydraulic?
IMHO
1) Yes. Anything above 2000#’s, you need a weight distribution hitch!
2) Class 3 is sufficient. But check the weight chart for the heaviest load you plan to carry then add 10%.
3) Yes. You need a add on brake controller if your trailer has electric brakes. I am not aware of the hydraulic controller you refer to in your statement. If you refer to surge brakes, that usually is on the trailer and would use the seven pin connector on the Gladiator. I’ve only seen these used on horse trailers and very old house trailers (& some military).

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Almost every boat trailer uses, hydraulic surge brakes, as electric brakes don’t do good in water.....Jack

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
IMHO
1) Yes. Anything above 2000#’s, you need a weight distribution hitch!
2) Class 3 is sufficient. But check the weight chart for the heaviest load you plan to carry then add 10%.
3) Yes. You need a add on brake controller if your trailer has electric brakes. I am not aware of the hydraulic controller you refer to in your statement. If you refer to surge brakes, that usually is on the trailer and would use the seven pin connector on the Gladiator. I’ve only seen these used on horse trailers and very old house trailers (& some military).
Very helpful!
I saw this from the 2021 owner's manual. It seems I will need an aftermarket brake controller but it seems to be not required for trailers that are equipped with hydraulic surge brakes.
Jeep Gladiator Noob question on trailering with JTR Screenshot_20201029-201200

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Correct if you are only towing trailers that have hydraulic brakes, you do not need an electric brake controller. That said my Boaton Whaler trailer has hydraulic disc brakes on both axles powered by a electric over hydraulic brake system controlled by my electric brake controller that was on my suburban, we'll see if the Mopar one works. It is not a bad idea to have the brake controller, you might need to rent a trailer, or borrow a buddies trailer , then you would be stuck without brakes.....Jack

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Without a doubt. Make sure to get the correct spring bar range for your intended loads. I tow 3,500 lb and if I remember correctly my Reese is using bars rated for 600 lb tongue weight. At first I thought this might be too much but it's been a good match.

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
Correct if you are only towing trailers that have hydraulic brakes, you do not need an electric brake controller. That said my Boaton Whaler trailer has hydraulic disc brakes on both axles powered by a electric over hydraulic brake system controlled by my electric brake controller that was on my suburban, we'll see if the Mopar one works. It is not a bad idea to have the brake controller, you might need to rent a trailer, or borrow a buddies trailer , then you would be stuck without brakes.....Jack
Great point!

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
Without a doubt. Make sure to get the correct spring bar range for your intended loads. I tow 3,500 lb and if I remember correctly my Reese is using bars rated for 600 lb tongue weight. At first I thought this might be too much but it's been a good match.
That's great to hear. I will see what Class III can do and look at the ratings.

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
Any weight distribution hitch brand/model you guys recommend?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Any weight distribution hitch brand/model you guys recommend?
I've always used Reese and they've been solid. There's another brand, I can't recall the name, but it seems to be the go-to for a lot of the Airstream crowd. Search on airforums.com and I'm sure you'll find it.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Blue Ox is another he might be referring to, I’m also looking in a couple months, there was one that the bars are on top of hitch not below much higher ground clearance , but can’t remember the name and did no research yet.

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
It seems the JTR with Trailer Tow package comes with Class IV receiver hitch.
Jeep Gladiator Noob question on trailering with JTR Screenshot_20201101-182450

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be shocked if uhaul let you tow their rental trailers with these things...........they don't like things without a solid top that's integral to the vehicle. And last I heard, Gladiator was on their no-tow list.

OP
OP
Frenzyrider

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
I'd be shocked if uhaul let you tow their rental trailers with these things...........they don't like things without a solid top that's integral to the vehicle. And last I heard, Gladiator was on their no-tow list.
I thought it only applies to soft top and not hard top. I will call Uhaul and confirm. That will be a bummer because I need a trailer to tow two ADV bikes that are 550lbs each.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it only applies to soft top and not hard top. I will call Uhaul and confirm. That will be a bummer because I need a trailer to tow two ADV bikes that are 550lbs each.
They don't view a removable fiberglass and plastic top as a hard top as in a solid pickup.
Someone else ran into that.
But you may be fine. My son got them talked into letting him use his Compass to tow one of their trailers......... they argued his Jeep wasn't heavy enough. Well, he did it, from Iowa to Florida - had NO troubles.
Not like you'll have a load that's even close to taxing the truck any.
I'd definitely double-check, though. They get stinky sometimes.
Sponsored