First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
A ford flex Limited with the 3.5L twin-turbo is shaped like a brick, and fast. Low 12s for the 1/4 mile, stock. There is actually a flex drag team called Ecobrick...cracks me up.
To put that time into perspective, a Dodge challenger RT with the V8 runs low 13s in the 1/4 mile.
Low 12s?!?

I had to Google fact check this. I'm seeing 14s.
Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
I
Okay, am I the only one who seemingly gets BETTER mileage with the windows down, or the top off, or RTT on, or the rack mounted with crap hanging off of it?
I swear anything that I do to disrupt the original aerodynamics actually improves the mpg.
I'm talking about normal highway driving 65-75 mph. Same 150 mile drive same elapsed time, etc.. I'm at 27K on the truck and have noticed this since day one, and just thought that I was nuts.
get the best with top and doors off lol. It’s made to be naked😂😂🤦🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
It says # = stock and you have to go down to the 14s before you see a # next to a time.
I stand corrected. The 12s guys are tuned, intake and exhaust. The 11s has some turbo mods. My bad. 14s is still good...lol :) I wonder what a ecodiesel gladiator with a tune can do? Gotta google that I suppose.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A ford flex Limited with the 3.5L twin-turbo is shaped like a brick, and fast. Low 12s for the 1/4 mile, stock. There is actually a flex drag team called Ecobrick...cracks me up.
To put that time into perspective, a Dodge challenger RT with the V8 runs low 13s in the 1/4 mile.
Comparing a Flex to a Wrangler or Gladiator especially, isn't an even comparison.
the Flex isn't as much of a brick.............
The windshield is slanted back, a lot,
The Flex sits lower to the ground which is a big deal - the underside is blocked off, flattened with shielding and air dams, bumper is smooth, curved and integrated, few open body lines,
the wheel openings are very closed off as the tires fit closely to the openings. Air can't get into the wheel wells,
The lines in front are very rounded, smoothed, no sharp corners,
There are smooth lines, front to back, along the entire side - no pockets or recesses to catch air,
the rear is shaped to reduce drag - are exiting from under it moves to smoothly join the other air from the sides and top,
I don't believe they had drip rails..............
It's a station wagon, not an SUV, and I'd not say it's shaped like a brick - not really, not with the curves and ways they are managing air under, around and over it, and how it's shaped at the rear.

maddocmuc

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Physician
Vehicle Showcase
You are right. You get the best mileage actually going backwards.

maddocmuc

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Physician
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's like dimples on a golf ball and induces turbulence sooner or something. Higher Reynolds number blah blah blah...

Sorry that was my attempt to get an ROI on what little I remember from Fluids class..
It is that or the Leidenfrost Effect.
Keep in mind:
Tarmac is hot, Gladiator is cool….
Leidenfrost….

OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Jeep Gladiator Odd aerodynamics? 18581C8B-69A7-495C-BDA5-DC9F2A1AC01F

FYI, this is netting about 11 mpg at 65 mph, 9.7 at 70. Drafting and I am back up to 18 mpg. 2480 lbs empty, tanks are dry so…..2750 with clothes and a small amount of food?
Someone needs to market a wing for bed racks to push air over campers.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

FYI, this is netting about 11 mpg at 65 mph, 9.7 at 70. Drafting and I am back up to 18 mpg. 2480 lbs empty, tanks are dry so…..2750 with clothes and a small amount of food?
Someone needs to market a wing for bed racks to push air over campers.
I need to look into a camper about that size. It's small and light enough to wear my manual Rubicon could handle it. Seems perfect.

OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Let me know when you want to look at this one. I am thinking that one without the ‘off road’ package which is a 6” difference in clearance would make a huge difference in mpg.
this is a 16’ with a dry bathroom

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
There are many interesting connections here - while cow tipping is urban legend, myth, Jeep tipping is not.
Farmers do not go out and try to tip their cows over, Jeep owners do appear to try to tip their Jeeps. They even have gauges to tell them how close they are to the goal.

On the other hand, some people believe that if a cow does a good job, it should be tipped.

That's mean. That's someone's mom... or sister.
Sponsored