OEM break fluid ?

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
I noticed that the brake fluid was getting low. 2020 JT, 25,000 miles. The brake fluid is basically clear in color. Planed on ordering OEM break fluid. Any suggested vendors ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FLACRACKER

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
My bad, it is the power of steering fluid, not break fluid. There is a NAPA near by. Thanks !

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Glad to help. For power steering you have to buy the super special fluid that’s $20 a pint.

Last edited:

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Glad to help. For power steering you can use either power steering fluid or just ATF if they don't have that.
The Owners Manual states to use "Electric Power Steering Pump Fluid". I can only assume that is is different from ATF or ATF+4, otherwise they would simply specify those fluids.:
Jeep Gladiator OEM break fluid ? 1680543924390

Sponsored

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid for the EHPS systems isn't cheap.
After they replaced the second steering gear on my 2020, I noted the fluid was low after a couple of days. I was in the area and stopped in and suggested "the air worked out, and now it's low". The guy walked inside, grabbed a bottle of PS fluid, filled it to the full mark and handed me the rest of the bottle. 20-some bucks a bottle. Fine, now I have some spare which I hopefully will not use any time soon.
Gone are the days of buying cheap red ATF and dumping it in the PS pump. (but then gone are all of the problems those systems had, too)
It's been a long time since I saw ATF specified for a PS system. As I recall, even the ZJ and WJ specified PS fluid and said to not use ATF or ATF+4. That's going back into the 1990s.

My Jeep has no breaks.
Give it time............

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to help. For power steering you can use either power steering fluid or just ATF if they don't have that.
NO - Never use ATF in modern PS systems. Talk about voiding warranty.
Since the 1990s, they've say not to use ATF. It goes clear back to the ZJ and WJ years at least

But like I said main reason is low pads so don't be adding it cos if you go get the brakes done and pistons get pushed in it all will overflow.
Huh? I've done many many dozens of brake jobs over the years. and the first thing you do when retracting pistons is remove brake fluid from the reservoir.
I've never witnessed anyone having one overflow as you say. Maybe DIYers who don't know anything toss pads in and have problems, but that's not a good reason to drive with low fluid levels.

Yes, DO add fluid.
There's never a reason to not have fluid at the proper level/range. Let it get low because of what you said, then if you have a leak, you are already too low and will run out.

Always add if it's low. There's never a valid reason to not keep the brake fluid level up.
Anyone who knows his head from his ass doing brakes will remove fluid before retracting pistons in the calipers. (you are going to do a brake hydraulic system flush anyway if you do things proper)

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Just bought a pint (oem) from my dealer on Friday and it's definitely not atf looks greenish in color

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
NO - Never use ATF in modern PS systems. Talk about voiding warranty.
Since the 1990s, they've say not to use ATF. It goes clear back to the ZJ and WJ years at least

Huh? I've done many many dozens of brake jobs over the years. and the first thing you do when retracting pistons is remove brake fluid from the reservoir.
I've never witnessed anyone having one overflow as you say. Maybe DIYers who don't know anything toss pads in and have problems, but that's not a good reason to drive with low fluid levels.

Yes, DO add fluid.
There's never a reason to not have fluid at the proper level/range. Let it get low because of what you said, then if you have a leak, you are already too low and will run out.

Always add if it's low. There's never a valid reason to not keep the brake fluid level up.
Anyone who knows his head from his ass doing brakes will remove fluid before retracting pistons in the calipers. (you are going to do a brake hydraulic system flush anyway if you do things proper)
Yep, the reason I keep a Turkey Baster in my tool box.
Sponsored