Sponsored

Off Road Pages screen gripe

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I do a fair amount of towing, I like to keep an eye on the tire pressure and oil temp, the coolant and trans temps climb slower when it is hot and towing. 7" screen and screen is cluster has worked very well for me, especially given the additional cost the larger screen.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
The off-road pages aren't exactly all they're cracked up to be.

fwiw the off-road pages have failed on me twice while off-road lol. The option disappeared both times and would sporadically pop back up while I was on the trails. It got to the point I gave up trying them and my kids would scroll through the menu for the novelty factor.

So I just scrolled through the options to pull up the transmission temp in the gauge cluster and continued living my life.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, upgrading wasn't an option in my case. This was 1 of 4 trucks in all of B.C. and 3 of them were barely over base model trucks.
you must have purchased just before our local dealer got his current fleet in. He has a rubicon, mojave and an overland currently on the lot, all up front and center...but yes on VI selection is limited there are only seven models currently on mid to north island

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
The off-road pages aren't exactly all they're cracked up to be.

fwiw the off-road pages have failed on me twice while off-road lol. The option disappeared both times and would sporadically pop back up while I was on the trails. It got to the point I gave up trying them and my kids would scroll through the menu for the novelty factor.

So I just scrolled through the options to pull up the transmission temp in the gauge cluster and continued living my life.
Same, I used it the first time we went off road out in Big Bend NP and found it more to be a novelty item. I actually preferred having the nav up instead. The extra gauges at a glance are nice, but I imagine most people aren't wheeling hard enough to even really need to keep an eye on them anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleFish

LittleFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator and a lot of other toys...
Occupation
Realtor
Alright as a now transplanted Texan from the PNW I'm chiming in here.

This comparison is still not apples to apples. We can all agree that BC is larger by size and we can all also agree that both Texas and California have a greater population, but you're analogy doesn't take into consideration the spread of population. Texas may be 268K square miles, but the population areas are spread out across the entire state. You may have hours upon hours of driving between some those areas of population and others are never-ending urban sprawl, but they are still distributed in all regions of the state.

(These red areas are where the larger cities are located)
1631643399253.png

Now BC, has 80% of its population in an area the size of the Houston metro area with around the same number of people.
1631643541359.png

So in all fairness it's not like Jeep needs to service all of those 364K square miles the same as they do 268K in Texas. It would only be apples to apples if Houston existed as it does now and the rest of Texas simply didn't. There's an overwhelmingly large majority of the province which is undeveloped and uninhabited for the comparison.

Okay, rant over until an Alaskan chimes in.
I do see an awful lot of Green on that Texas Map... :giggle:

Not sure where you're taking all of that but okay, I'll bite! :LOL:

Do try to note that I'm not the one who brought up Texas. I know better, Texan's can be downright loco. I think it's all that smog that's gitt'n to y'all. And that tagline "Everything's BIGGER in TEXAS" came from somewhere... Well, sorry Texas but B.C. dwarfs you in area, get over it. Oh yeah, at the mentioning of "get over it", B.C. also dwarfs you in elevation. Driving those elevations are why we need the dang guages in our trucks and the reason for my original post. Don't get so butt hurt about your "less than" size issues, you still have us beat when it comes to population. Y'all ever figure out where all dems ders persons are comin' from? For those of you that don't want to look it up, B.C. Max elevation 18546ft vs. Texas at 13675ft... :CWL: I couldn't resist, please don't shoot!

I'm also not the one who brought up Alaska. Alaska is HUGE at roughly 1.5 times the size of B.C. On the topic of Alaska, the population there is roughly 3/4 million. B.C. Population is roughly 5 million. California and Texas, well... from what I understand, y'all have more undocumented people than we in B.C. have people... But seriously, y'all gotta stop breading as Canada and Alaska only have so much water and power that we can send south of the border, lol. Oh yeah, you know what the people in Alaska like in their trucks? GUAGES! :)

My point was, 18 hours of travel to purchase 1 of 4 available vehicles is brutal. B.C still has a population of roughly 5 Million people... 4 Max Tow Jeeps with a Penstar to service a population of 5 Million? If I was in Alaska, I'd be screwed! 5m = 4 trucks, .75m = 0 trucks! Apparently you need 1.25m people for Jeep to put a Max Tow with the Penstar on a dealer lot. If I was in Texas or California, I'm sure I wouldn't have needed to drive 18 hours to purchase a truck with the options close to what I wanted.

You do bring up a very good point. Much of B.C. is unpopulated. That means roads are really really long in between populated areas and we've already established that B.C. has some serious elevations to deal with. Paying attention to guages is important, if you don't, the towing bill to get you to a repair shop can be pretty hefty. Tow companies only tow the vehicle and your trailer sits abandoned on the side of the road (or you call for 2 tow trucks).:) I'm sure Texas and California have some pretty long roads as well. Heck, they even have some hills to deal with. With all of the population there, Jeep should be servicing them. I wonder if Jeep gave them usable guages in the smaller screens and just gave the un-guaged screens to those of us in underpopulated areas? ;)

To be clear. My bitch is about the lack of Off Road Pages in the smaller screens. It was not and is not about who's got the bigger...

All tongue in cheek and not meant to upset anyone and definitely not meant to upset those Texans!

OP
OP
LittleFish

LittleFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator and a lot of other toys...
Occupation
Realtor
you must have purchased just before our local dealer got his current fleet in. He has a rubicon, mojave and an overland currently on the lot, all up front and center...but yes on VI selection is limited there are only seven models currently on mid to north island
I wasn't really interested in the Rubi, or other models as I was specifically searching for the Sport with the Max Tow package. There was 1 up in Parksville but it had very few options in it.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do see an awful lot of Green on that Texas Map... :giggle:

Not sure where you're taking all of that but okay, I'll bite! :LOL:

Do try to note that I'm not the one who brought up Texas. I know better, Texan's can be downright loco. I think it's all that smog that's gitt'n to y'all. And that tagline "Everything's BIGGER in TEXAS" came from somewhere... Well, sorry Texas but B.C. dwarfs you in area, get over it. Oh yeah, at the mentioning of "get over it", B.C. also dwarfs you in elevation. Driving those elevations are why we need the dang guages in our trucks and the reason for my original post. Don't get so butt hurt about your "less than" size issues, you still have us beat when it comes to population. Y'all ever figure out where all dems ders persons are comin' from? For those of you that don't want to look it up, B.C. Max elevation 18546ft vs. Texas at 13675ft... :CWL: I couldn't resist, please don't shoot!

I'm also not the one who brought up Alaska. Alaska is HUGE at roughly 1.5 times the size of B.C. On the topic of Alaska, the population there is roughly 3/4 million. B.C. Population is roughly 5 million. California and Texas, well... from what I understand, y'all have more undocumented people than we in B.C. have people... But seriously, y'all gotta stop breading as Canada and Alaska only have so much water and power that we can send south of the border, lol. Oh yeah, you know what the people in Alaska like in their trucks? GUAGES! :)

My point was, 18 hours of travel to purchase 1 of 4 available vehicles is brutal. B.C still has a population of roughly 5 Million people... 4 Max Tow Jeeps with a Penstar to service a population of 5 Million? If I was in Alaska, I'd be screwed! 5m = 4 trucks, .75m = 0 trucks! Apparently you need 1.25m people for Jeep to put a Max Tow with the Penstar on a dealer lot. If I was in Texas or California, I'm sure I wouldn't have needed to drive 18 hours to purchase a truck with the options close to what I wanted.

You do bring up a very good point. Much of B.C. is unpopulated. That means roads are really really long in between populated areas and we've already established that B.C. has some serious elevations to deal with. Paying attention to guages is important, if you don't, the towing bill to get you to a repair shop can be pretty hefty. Tow companies only tow the vehicle and your trailer sits abandoned on the side of the road (or you call for 2 tow trucks).:) I'm sure Texas and California have some pretty long roads as well. Heck, they even have some hills to deal with. With all of the population there, Jeep should be servicing them. I wonder if Jeep gave them usable guages in the smaller screens and just gave the un-guaged screens to those of us in underpopulated areas? ;)

To be clear. My bitch is about the lack of Off Road Pages in the smaller screens. It was not and is not about who's got the bigger...

All tongue in cheek and not meant to upset anyone and definitely not meant to upset those Texans!
WTF is this?

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't really interested in the Rubi, or other models as I was specifically searching for the Sport with the Max Tow package. There was 1 up in Parksville but it had very few options in it.
In my experience looking at lots lately, sport models are very limited...seems like most dealers want to get in the Rubi/ Mojave or Overland, even further north on the island where we are

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep does not control what is on the lots for sale, they are just the manufacturer. The dealers decide what they want on their lots and order it from Jeep.

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He meant it's easy to upgrade yourself if you ever decide to do so. I swapped the 5" in my Sport with the 8.4", took about 10 minutes and ~$1200 for a brand new unit/bezel. To add the Off Road pages like you want, the Tazer for ~$300 can enable them along with TONS of other useful things..... they are great.

You could then sell your 7" and get ~$400 or so for it from guys that want to upgrade from the 5" to the 7".

Just one option to eliminate what seems like your main gripe if you choose.

20210605_172546369_iOS (2).jpg
So besides the SWCs, how do you control the volume and seek on this setup?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For me it's actually easier to have the gauges in front of my face as I'm watching idiots flip lanes and cut close in front of me while towing (they don't give a *hit or are too stupid to know I can't stop as fast as they can)
Little to watch aside from transmission temperature. If the oil temp is normal the coolant temp will likely be, and visa-versa so it's not to bad to flip the cluster. I keep a hand on the wheel while towing anyway LOL
Weird thing is those "Gauges" in the cluster are native to the vehicle - in the radio, they are in the cloud and if it can't make contact, it won't display off-road pages. Totally dumb to not have the off-road pages built right in but if it can't contact Skynet, you get no off-road pages.

Last edited:

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Get the Torque app for your phone and a bluetooth OBDII adapter. You can get everything except the oil pressure. Don't know why oil pressure isn't available but I can never get it on any of my OBDII devices.

I use a 67designs phone dock to view the phone while driving.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Torque app for your phone and a bluetooth OBDII adapter. You can get everything except the oil pressure. Don't know why oil pressure isn't available but I can never get it on any of my OBDII devices.

I use a 67designs phone dock to view the phone while driving.
Guessing, but maybe because oil pressure isn't one of the things the PCM cares about for deciding valve lift, timing, ignition timing and injector functions........
It's not in the misfire logs I gathered on my wife's WK2 using AlfaOBD, either.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Why not just order one?
Sponsored