Official Reveal of Electric Jeeps.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yeah, I don't expect to see one any time soon. The 25 miles just feels like a token attempt at hybrid. I would consider one the runs more like the Volt but with something in the area of 100-150 miles of range on pure battery.

I think we're overlooking a lot of potential gains available in a fully electric off-road vehicle. Especially one with dual motors or even hub motors. Imagine being able to control each wheel individually and what that can do for rock crawling. While you do add a lot of battery weight, you remove fuel, engine mass, and drive train mass. You also move the center of gravity way down in the vehicle. Which can add a lot to stability.

The battery packs themselves can be made waterproof, as they generate enough heat that they need active cooling anyway. The motors can also be made waterproof.

IMHO, a fully electric off-road vehicle presents a lot of advantages over an internal combustion version.
Completely agree, but I don’t see a way to do this and retain solid axles/ really any part of the current platform. Dual motor could be possible split between the front and rear, but hub motors are too much unsprung weight to be practical and anything else would likely require a ground up redesign with independent suspension. I actually really like the hybrid approach, but this ev-on-top-of-etorque architecture feels sloppy and I’m hoping they come out with something that’s better integrated for the gladiators.
Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Should have placed a cool retro woodgrain body on the Gladiator frame and axles. Make it a working mans SUV.
Able to offroad and it would be so badass and think they would have had buyers lined up.

Jeep. Come on. You go to Easter Safari and gain customer feedback for a reason. Now listen too it.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
Some sites says 31 miles per charge. Most people out there does less thant that for their daily commute. Any I'm pretty sure it will jsut improve down the road (better batteries, better CANBUS programmation, better power management and the like)

Power output, especially torque, is quite impressive. Got more torque that the Hemi 392. Will be practical while wheeling....
The 31 miles comes from a 50 kilometer requirement in Europe or China. That's a test distance, not real world. The EPA is yet another test, similar, but different. That's where the 'up to 25 miles EPA" comes from.

As they say, your mileage may vary.
Sponsored