Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
After a ton of studying and reading on different lifts I had decided on the Clayton 3.5 Overland or for my 2021 JT.

I went to jeep beach this past weekend and Clayton was not in attendance. I talked to some very knowledgeable guys from Rebel Off-Road and was convinced to order the Rock Krawler 3 inch lift. Wondering if I did the right thing.

The Clayton has maint free bushings and more height. The Gladiator will see very little off-road use. I’m looking for the best ride I can get with either 37s or 39s.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ordered Clayton Offroad Overland Plus 2.5" with Fox shocks-- been installed over a month with front end issue that can't be diagnosed/identiffied... when I ask them how its going to get resolved, they say that they can't help me bc my Jeep isn't there for them to look at. There have been a lot of hypotheticals that have discussed ie, mismatched shock travel for my springs (diesel), upper control arm lenghts, alignment etc., but with no game plan or solution. Spent $3K and $1K to install by experienced dealership, but I'm no further along the process of trying to resolve than I was a year ago! Would I order again-- really not sure... I know a lot of you have had great success and CS with them, but my experience has been nothing short of frustrating. Sorry-- just being honest. Have owned 3 AEV kits with zero problems, and at least at this point, a much better on road ride quality.
Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I have measured, sent alignment chart, taken pics and now have to pay out of my pocket for a second alignment to try and see what is wrong. In addition, it was highly advocated that I order the Fox, not Falcon shocks-- when I asked about the Falcons, it was suggested that they were too stiff and that the Foxs were the ones that they rec to most people. The Foxs are too soft and bouncy and today it was their rec that I should BUY (with no trade allowance on the brand new Foxs that I bought from them less than a month ago. Make your own determination-- but I'm in sales and that's NOT taking care of either the problem or customer. Sorry, again-- this is my perception and experience. I know others have had different.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
If its noisy you should totally try greasing the joints btw. Takes about 30 minutes after you've done it the first time. I've been doing it every 2-6 months depending on how much I've been on the trails. My truck isn't quiet like my husbands Volvo, but there isn't any squeaking or other weird noises from the suspension.

That is something the OP should think about though. When you are buying a lift, if you are getting a daily driver lift, you definitely don't want a targeted off-road lift and the extra maintenance associated with it :)
Lol.

The RK lift has bad bushings that I have to replace myself. 8 arms. Greasing wont do shit.

Regardless, after 80k miles and 5 years of beating the piss out of my MC lift, I have yet to need to touch anything, grease anything, or replace anything all while having the jeep be as quiet as the day I put the lift on.

It has also been determined that greasing these joints will make them break down faster. Surprise surprise :headbang::headbang:

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I'm thinking the difference between rubber and neoprene bushings....rubber just sucks. Plus petroleum products, as you suggest, degrade the rubber compound.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I'm thinking the difference between rubber and neoprene bushings....rubber just sucks. Plus petroleum products, as you suggest, degrade the rubber compound.
The manufacturer of the joints did not use the correct compounds, and there is a TSB from RK about it. They sent new bushings. As for the grease, RK calls for a very specific grease to be used so the joints do not degrade to begin with. Not sure where you are getting the petroleum based lubes since that was never mentioned, but I never have or will use any grease containing it so I am clear on that portion haha. That is only part of the issue I personally am having. I never went with them for previous jeep builds as their lifts seemed to rust out faster than others. That is still the case unfortunately.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I have measured, sent alignment chart, taken pics and now have to pay out of my pocket for a second alignment to try and see what is wrong. In addition, it was highly advocated that I order the Fox, not Falcon shocks-- when I asked about the Falcons, it was suggested that they were too stiff and that the Foxs were the ones that they rec to most people. The Foxs are too soft and bouncy and today it was their rec that I should BUY (with no trade allowance on the brand new Foxs that I bought from them less than a month ago. Make your own determination-- but I'm in sales and that's NOT taking care of either the problem or customer. Sorry, again-- this is my perception and experience. I know others have had different.
I went with the Falcon shocks with my COR 2.5 kit. I love them. No, it doesn’t ride like a Cadillac but it does ride and drive like a well mannered lifted keep. I keep my tires at 30psi. I’ve seen a lot of folks complain about the ride quality while they are running 40psi in 12.5” wide tires. Wayyyy to hard. Not saying that’s your issue but does come up often.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Dennis, we have been working with you daily via multiple emails and phone calls, even Clayton himself has reached out to you personally to try and help figure out what may be causing the problem you are experiencing. We did explain to you that we are unfortunately now at a point where we can't help figure out what the issue is without actually seeing the truck in person, and explained it would be best to bring the vehicle to a new shop for a different opinion and you expressed that you were not interested in this solution as you had complete faith in your mechanic you had used. We offered to take 20% off of a new set of Falcon shocks for you since you expressed interest in possibly switching to those, and you were not interested in that solution either. We have sold hundreds if not thousands of these kits and have never heard of this issue before that the front end feels unsettled like you stated, and are willing to continue working with you and figure out what our next steps could be in finding a solution to your problem but we need to have a different mechanic test drive the vehicle and get a second opinion. We stand behind our product 100% and are willing to work with customers until they are completely satisfied with their purchase, but we need you to work with us as well so that we can come to a proper solution without being able to ever see the vehicle in person.

Last edited:

TxSmitty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not to poke the bear, but I do see you are pointing out all the issues but you haven't provided what would make you happy and resolve the issue. What are you asking Clayton to do? Once it leaves their shelves, there are so many factors outside of what they can control that could affect a lift and ride. As far as the softness of the shocks, when a company suggests a certain part to pair with their product, it is usually based on customer feedback, not just their personal opinion. Most people prefer the Fox shocks with lifts. I know going from Bilstein to fox on a JK I had with an RK lift changed my opinion and I have been using Fox ever since. 99% of people would prefer a softer ride over stiff, but there is no way a company could have known your preference to stiff shocks unless you told them. In the end you order what you want.

I think being from sales you can appreciate the customer service you are receiving.
If you would have bought any other lift, most likely you would have been told to pound sand by the company or not received any response. They have offered more than most would. Even offering 20% off new shocks because of your opinion on the ride. Heck I'll take your discount!

If you are asking for money back, then you are going to sound like the guy who eats a whole pizza then complains on yelp later to try and get a free pizza.

I am not trying to come off as a jerk and I know this probably came off that way. I think the internet has allowed for people to bash companies as if things beyond their control are their fault. Any noise is bad noise.

I just ordered the a Clayton 3.5 lift based on info from this forum (customer satisfaction and customer service throughout the forum).
You do seem to be the outlier when it comes to Clayton satisfaction. I think it would be helpful for everyone to know, what do you want Clayton to do? What is your solution?

Again, for real, not trying to be rude or a jerk. I am just interested because there aren't many complaints online about Clayton.

OP
OP

rjm727

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you for the response. I’m sorry to hear of the problem you are having; I am sure it is very frustrating. It is a substantial investment and we all do a great deal of research to find what is perfect for our individual needs and goals.

I have also had (still do) AEV on my 2014 JKU. It has developed a very occasional shimmy at low speed (always less than 10 mph). I’m still trying to troubleshoot.

Both are thought to be quality lifts with excellent reputations. I suppose even the best lifts can occasionally have an issue. I hope you get yours resolved soon.

Ordered Clayton Offroad Overland Plus 2.5" with Fox shocks-- been installed over a month with front end issue that can't be diagnosed/identiffied... when I ask them how its going to get resolved, they say that they can't help me bc my Jeep isn't there for them to look at. There have been a lot of hypotheticals that have discussed ie, mismatched shock travel for my springs (diesel), upper control arm lenghts, alignment etc., but with no game plan or solution. Spent $3K and $1K to install by experienced dealership, but I'm no further along the process of trying to resolve than I was a year ago! Would I order again-- really not sure... I know a lot of you have had great success and CS with them, but my experience has been nothing short of frustrating. Sorry-- just being honest. Have owned 3 AEV kits with zero problems, and at least at this point, a much better on road ride quality.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Maybe this forum can help ? What is it that you are feeling from the front end, and what speed ? What exactly is the problem you are trying to fix ? Can you post pictures of the pinion angles, springs, etc.. ? A lot of us have Clayton kits with various shocks, so, you have a lot of experience on this site.

Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Falcon shocks with my COR 2.5 kit. I love them. No, it doesn’t ride like a Cadillac but it does ride and drive like a well mannered lifted keep. I keep my tires at 30psi. I’ve seen a lot of folks complain about the ride quality while they are running 40psi in 12.5” wide tires. Wayyyy to hard. Not saying that’s your issue but does come up often.
Running 315/70R 17 wheels and tires @ 30 psi with Fox's best dual reservoir thru-shaft steering stabilizer, adjusted to absolute zero play in steering wheel.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this forum can help ? What is it that you are feeling from the front end, and what speed ? What exactly is the problem you are trying to fix ? Can you post pictures of the pinion angles, springs, etc.. ? A lot of us have Clayton kits with various shocks, so, you have a lot of experience on this site.
I am feeling front end instability when either of the front wheels hit a bump, pothole, dip etc. Happens at any speed, but especially noticeable when one wheel hits, not both like over railroad tracks. Not sure what pinion angles are, sorry. I do notice a significant bowing of the left front spring though and have told COR... shocks pistons are over 6 1/2 inches exposed in front (which COR has told me is approaching max). I have a diesel JTR and COR 2.5" Overland plus kit-- 3.5" springs in front/2.5" in rear and Fox shocks for a 2.5" lift. I've asked if this is a mismatch (front) and haven't really gotten a definitive answer. They have talked about sending out some Fox front shocks for a 3.5-4 inch lift to replace the 2-3" travel ones that are currently on...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the response. I’m sorry to hear of the problem you are having; I am sure it is very frustrating. It is a substantial investment and we all do a great deal of research to find what is perfect for our individual needs and goals.

I have also had (still do) AEV on my 2014 JKU. It has developed a very occasional shimmy at low speed (always less than 10 mph). I’m still trying to troubleshoot.

Both are thought to be quality lifts with excellent reputations. I suppose even the best lifts can occasionally have an issue. I hope you get yours resolved soon.
Are you running their geometry correction brackets-- those were a game changer on my AEV lifts...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Running 315/70R 17 wheels and tires @ 30 psi...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Talked to a shop 2 hours away today in Michigan that COR rec that has installed a lot of Clayton off-road kits that thinks that it might be the front springs although certainly long enough for the extra weight of the diesel, might not be stiff enough for the weight-- his thoughts are based on some experience with lifts for the 392 hemi installs that he has done... his thoughts, not mine. I know that COR is working on diesel specific springs, not sure about spring rate... Can't get an appointment for 3 weeks, so we'll see when I go there...
Sponsored