First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Loader
I'm currently upgrading the over head speakers with after market pods to fit an 8" speaker and a tweeter i cut out the area that needed to be cut to fit the speakers, hooked one up to check and. nothing. Plugged the stock speakers in and still nothing but all the front speakers work. Certain i didn't cut any wires while cutting, not sure what it could be. Thank you in advance
Sponsored

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
What I read is that the factory radio sends out a load test to the stock speakers, which delivers a certain resistance, and tells the radio to play music in those speakers. If you disconnect the speaker, it does not sense anything there, and therefore mutes those channels. Apparently, you need to solder (wire) in some resistors to trick the head unit into sensing the factory speakers. I thought that this might only be if you use a line level converter for an amp, but maybe if the ohm rating of the speaker is different from stock it can cause this. I just bought these yesterday to install when I do my sound system in the next week:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541LR475/PAC-LR475.html

Here are a couple links that go into this situation.

https://carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-an-aftermarket-amp-s.6568/

Not sure if this is your issue, but I guess its worth a shot.

OP
OP
Moab_gladiator
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Loader
What I read is that the factory radio sends out a load test to the stock speakers, which delivers a certain resistance, and tells the radio to play music in those speakers. If you disconnect the speaker, it does not sense anything there, and therefore mutes those channels. Apparently, you need to solder (wire) in some resistors to trick the head unit into sensing the factory speakers. I thought that this might only be if you use a line level converter for an amp, but maybe if the ohm rating of the speaker is different from stock it can cause this. I just bought these yesterday to install when I do my sound system in the next week:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541LR475/PAC-LR475.html

Here are a couple links that go into this situation.

https://carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-an-aftermarket-amp-s.6568/

Not sure if this is your issue, but I guess its worth a shot.
Hmm yea no i havent heard of that before. These damn new complicated cars. I'll have to give it a try thank you !

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Hmm yea no i havent heard of that before. These damn new complicated cars. I'll have to give it a try thank you !
I just reread your post, and realized you said that the factory speakers still did not come back on when you hooked them back up. Have you gone through your radio settings to see if somehow the radio muted the rear speakers (adjusted the fade) when you took them out? I am not sure if the resistors would help in your case.

OP
OP
Moab_gladiator
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Loader
I just reread your post, and realized you said that the factory speakers still did not come back on when you hooked them back up. Have you gone through your radio settings to see if somehow the radio muted the rear speakers (adjusted the fade) when you took them out? I am not sure if the resistors would help in your case.
I checked the fade and it was centered. I only plugged one back in so it may still be along that problem where maybe they all have to be connected

Sponsored

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Wondering if you have any updates? I just replaced the soundbar speakers with 6.5s and they are not working like yours. Granted, I did not hook up the amp yet, I wanted to see if they would work off the factory radio. I had no issues replacing the front knee speakers with 6.5s and new 3.5s in the dash.

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Ok, I just pulled the fuse for he radio, put it back, and the rear soundbar works.

Glenn671

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Wondering if you have any updates? I just replaced the soundbar speakers with 6.5s and they are not working like yours. Granted, I did not hook up the amp yet, I wanted to see if they would work off the factory radio. I had no issues replacing the front knee speakers with 6.5s and new 3.5s in the dash.
Did you try what he did? Unplug the fuse and see if they kick back on?

Sponsored

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Are you running a sub too?
I am running the Kicker Hideaway under the passenger seat. I might add an amp I bought to power the speakers, but I am unsure yet, as I am still trying to figure a way to run it without cutting the wires. I did read that you needed to add a resistor before an amp to allow the radio to keep sending power to the speakers for the amp to work.

OP
OP
Moab_gladiator
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Loader
Did you try what he did? Unplug the fuse and see if they kick back"

honestly i don't know what happened. They just started working again so i'm not totally sure.

TonyC

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am having a similar issue. Was trying to install a soundbar from American Soundbar, cut the rear speaker plug going into the old soundbar and my rear channel stopped working on the radio so my inline inverter isn't getting signal.

I should get the resisters in today or tomorrow. Cross fingers it fixes the issue.
Sponsored