Sponsored

Factory Alpine Premium Audio - MB Quart Dash / Soundbar Speakers?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
If I install 6.5" component speakers, do I simply wire the 3.5" tweeter to the factory tweeter wiring and the larger 6.5" speaker to the factory 4" speaker wiring?
This seems like it would be the best arrangement, individual component speakers replacing the individual factory speakers without using the component's crossover circuit. Just make sure they are connected with the correct polarity (in phase) with the other speakers.
Sponsored

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I personally would NOT go through the trouble of replacing the soundbar speakers without upsizing them; the stock size/3.5-inch is TERRIBAD and regardless of the manufacturer you're not going to get full range sound without a full range sound-sized speaker, like a legit 6.5-inch. Buy this SSV adapter from Crutchfield (they also have the Metra wiring harness) and REALLY upgrade your system for what it should have came with, at least size wise, for starters. This was one area they really took a step backwards from the JK platform...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_327JTSA065/SSV-Works-JJT-SA065.html

Would you say these leave enough room for a component 6.5" set with a separate tweeter and room for the crossover?

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
Would you say these leave enough room for a component 6.5" set with a separate tweeter and room for the crossover?
First a correction; I misstated the size of the stock speaker, it's a 4-inch not 3.5-inch but my observation about getting quality sound out of a speaker that size in that location stands...

From the looks of this picture:

Jeep Gladiator Factory Alpine Premium Audio - MB Quart Dash / Soundbar Speakers? 1631809884215

...it looks like it's set up for a 6.5 or 6.75-inch speaker only, as stated in the product description. There's NO shortage of speakers that size which will perform very well, although arguably not as well as a component system of course...

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The SSV Works JJT-SA065 has room for a small tweeter. If you search for it on the JL forums and on the Crutchfield reviews you will see where people have mounted the separate tweeters just inboard of the 6.5s. I'm not sure if there is enough room for a crossover to fit in there. I figured that if I installed component speakers I would simply wire the tweeters to the 3.5" plugs and the 6.5s to the 4" plugs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be aware that the Alpine S-S65C speakers do not come with grilles for the 6.5s. You need to buy them separately.

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
The SSV Works JJT-SA065 has room for a small tweeter. If you search for it on the JL forums and on the Crutchfield reviews you will see where people have mounted the separate tweeters just inboard of the 6.5s. I'm not sure if there is enough room for a crossover to fit in there. I figured that if I installed component speakers I would simply wire the tweeters to the 3.5" plugs and the 6.5s to the 4" plugs.

That makes sense. I wasn't aware that those we separate until I started going down this rabbit hole.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Im curious about what type of 3.5`s people are running. Ive got the KFC-X3C`s in the dash, but havent upgraded the soundbar yet, and hoping to stick with the 3.5 size plug and play, rather than modifying the sound bar.

The Infinity speakers OP referenced look like a nice option, but theyre about half the strength of the Kenwoods ( 75w peak, 25w rms, 3 ohm vs kenwood at 120w peak and 50w rms 4ohm). As OP stated, the X3C`s are sold out everywhere it seems, curious about other speakers people have tried and had good luck with.

TNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
I bought a new JK back in 2013 with the premium audio and subwoofer. I was underwhelmed but to be fair, I never heard the stock audio so I only assumed it was much better than stock. I eventually installed my own sub and amp that was much better. My question is, does this Alpine system improve over the years? Is it likely the same as the one I had in 2013? I know sound is so subjective. I can't just ask someone, "does it sound good?" and expect that it will sound good to me as well. I am no audiophile, but when I order my JT, trying to decide if I should order it or just build a system after I buy it.

Thanks.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My question is, does this Alpine system improve over the years? Is it likely the same as the one I had in 2013?
I have a 2014 JK with the premium audio system, and I can tell you the JT premium audio sounds horrible compared to the JK, both being stock. The stock JT premium system is really muffled sounding without any clear highs and muddy bass.

On my JK, I added caps to the dash tweeters to brighten them up a little, changed both the sub and sound bar speakers, added some Dynamat, and the system sounds great (IMO).

Even after putting the 3.5" Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx speakers in the dash & sound bar, I think my JK sounds much better. The highs are about the same, but my JK seems to have much clearer bass. The 6.5" speakers in the JK sound bar probably help out a lot compared to the much smaller speakers in the JT.

Sponsored

TNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
I have a 2014 JK with the premium audio system, and I can tell you the JT premium audio sounds horrible compared to the JK, both being stock. The stock JT premium system is really muffled sounding without any clear highs and muddy bass.

On my JK, I added caps to the dash tweeters to brighten them up a little, changed both the sub and sound bar speakers, added some Dynamat, and the system sounds great (IMO).

Even after putting the 3.5" Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx speakers in the dash & sound bar, I think my JK sounds much better. The highs are about the same, but my JK seems to have much clearer bass. The 6.5" speakers in the JK sound bar probably help out a lot compared to the much smaller speakers in the JT.
Are you saying the premium audio on the JT is not worth it? Thank you for that comparison!

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying the premium audio on the JT is not worth it? Thank you for that comparison!
Well, I guess it all depends on your skill level and willingness to install a complete new sound system, and what you are trying to accomplish.

My days of tearing vehicles apart to install a killer sound system are far behind me. I really wanted the big screen and the other features of the 8.4", so I went with the premium system. I can tell you that if I hadn't changed the speakers in the premuim system in my Mojave, I would be 100% disappointed with the sound quality and it would bother me every time I drive. For reference, I came from a 2019 Audi A4 Allroad with the base audio system, and that system sounded incredible compared to the stock premium Alpine in my JT.

If you are really into sound quality and are willing & able to install a complete new system, then skipping the $2k premium audio option is probably the best approach.

However, if you are like me and want a nice sounding factory system with the 8.4" screen and all the features, I say get the premium audio knowing that you will be swapping some speakers to make it sound better.
Sponsored